Thread: Carbs Confusion

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Carbs Confusion

I thought I had a pretty good graps of what foods I should be taking and what I shouldn't. Seems I am wrong and now I'm confused, totally confused.

So I drink a lot of fruit juice, orange and have Pineapple juice with my protein shakes so I have about 800 ML per day of the stuff or 2 pints which I guess is a lot. In other words I drink a LOT of fruit juice. I now read this is bad, is this the case?

I also read that apparently I eat too much of the wrong carbs. I should get 90% of my carbs of fruits and vegetable. Is this the case? I read that cereal, potatoes, bread, oats, brown rice all should be removed?

If this is the case, where do you get all your cals from? Most of my meals involve carbs such as pasta, brown basmati rice, white bread, All Bran for breakfast, Oats. Should I remove these completely??

Quote Originally Posted by RedKMann
    I thought I had a pretty good graps of what foods I should be taking and what I shouldn't. Seems I am wrong and now I'm confused, totally confused.

So I drink a lot of fruit juice, orange and have Pineapple juice with my protein shakes so I have about 800 ML per day of the stuff or 2 pints which I guess is a lot. In other words I drink a LOT of fruit juice. I now read this is bad, is this the case?

I also read that apparently I eat too much of the wrong carbs. I should get 90% of my carbs of fruits and vegetable. Is this the case? I read that cereal, potatoes, bread, oats, brown rice all should be removed?

If this is the case, where do you get all your cals from? Most of my meals involve carbs such as pasta, brown basmati rice, white bread, All Bran for breakfast, Oats. Should I remove these completely??
    Built is going to say if you want fruit then eat fruit and not the juice and Built pretty much knows everything. That means ditch the juice.

Oats are good for you as is brown rice. All of the things you listed have a place in your diet except maybe the white bread and even that is only a strong maybe.

Also if you are cutting or bulking makes a bit of a difference.

what are your goals?

Juice is basically all sugar (unlike fruit which also has fiber) so I would avoid it as much as possible or at least cut back.
    Last edited by KingWilder; 08-02-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I researched this in an earlier post:

An 8-ounce serving of orange juice (freshly squeezed, from concentrate, whatever) has about 27g of carbohydrate, that breaks down as follows:

Total Carbohydrate 26.8g
    ...Dietary Fiber 0.5g
    ...Sugars 20.9g
    .....Sucrose 8.617g (so, about 4g fructose in here)
    .....Glucose 5.826g
    .....Fructose 6.375g

An 8-oz serving of coca cola:

Total Carbohydrate 19.2g
    ...Dietary Fiber 0.0g
    ...Sugars 14.7g
    .....Sucrose 0.488g
    .....Glucose 5.368g
    .....Fructose 7.857g
    .....Lactose 0.788g
    .....Maltose 0.488g

Source: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20Vr.html

Your roughly 32 ounces of fruit juice has about 80g of sugar, roughly half of which is (some form of) fructose. Considering a lean adult male's liver only has about a 100g capacity for glycogen (http://www.obesityonline.org/slides/...lycogen&dpg=1), it's not hard to see why this can be problematic.

No. These foods contain glucose polymers (starch), which have useful ergogenic properties for athletes.

Get in sufficient protein and fat, eat plenty of vegetables and a few pieces of fruit, and target starches around/after your lifting, and you'll probably be very well nourished and comfortable.

Wannabebig Member
    My goals are just to be healthy rather than cutting or bulking.

I have a slight problem in that I do my workout in the morning. I basically get up, have a bowl of All Bran and a banana and hit the weights straight after. Would you say I'm not providing my body with enough cals for the workout? I seem to do all right on it, is that weird? Right after the workout I have a bowl of oats covered in honey some wallnuts and a protein shake. I read that yous should hav something sweet like honey following the workout?

About 2.5 hours after my post workout meal I have a carot. Is this suitable?

lunch is lettuce, tuna and pasta, apple, banana. I have some more wallnuts 3 hours after that. Tea consists of brocoli, mackeral/steak, potatoes/rice. Then three hours later I have a banana, protein shake, wallnuts.

I also through in 5 egg whites, 2 whole eggs at breakfast after my cardio on non-weights days 4 times a week. I also have a full chicken once a week.

Any flaws?

About 2.5 hours after my post workout meal I have a carot. Is this suitable?
    In one word, no.

I wouldn't be that quick to judge. He could be a rabbit.
    Nick V

What's up doc? :evillaugh
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Wannabebig Member
    LOL.

I thought as long as you eat a little something every three hours you are fine? I figured a carrot is a carb to keep me going whilst lunch. I am at work (with no break) whilst eating this so its not as if I can tuck into chicken and brocoli. I could have a banana maybe or an apple?