The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

wrist tendonitis

I think i have wrist tendonitis. Every time i turn my wrist from palm down to palm up, the left side of my left wrist hurts. Anyways, if i get my wrist warmed up, after a few sets of an exercise that puts stress on the wrist, the pain goes away and i can finish workin out. After the workout though, when my wrist cools down after a couple hours the pain comes back. Can I keep workin out and just wrap up my wrist whenever I'm not in the gym? Or should I just rest it? ( i really hate not workin out)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i had the same problem for months, wrist wraps helped me a little, don't curl for awhile.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I'm freakin' out man. I've spent all morning researching this. It has become unbearable, and I've been silly to let it get this bad. My right wrist is always in pain.

Here's a question for people who have dealt with it before. I know mine is a result of curling with the barbell. I always use the ez-curl as opposed to the straight curl bar. I feel that it's the angle of the ez-curl that is causing it. Is there any truth to this? I abandoned it and began using the straight curl bar (had to drop from 90-80lbs on 3 sets of 8 reps). Today my pain seems to be slightly less but it could be in my mind.

What remedies other than rest and ice will help? Are there any OTC anti-inflamatories that somebody can reccomend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclofenac

I'm in England. I used a medicine called Diclofenac which the Doctor prescribed for my osgood schaltter's disease (a form of arthitis). Its probably the best anti-inflamatory medicine around. To be honest it sounds like you need something better/more effective than anything OTC unless Diclofenac is OTC in the States. It works wonders. If it isn't OTC then go see your Doc and ask him about Diclofenac and its various medicinal forms such as Voltaren and Dicloflex.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkman23
    I think i have wrist tendonitis. Every time i turn my wrist from palm down to palm up, the left side of my left wrist hurts. Anyways, if i get my wrist warmed up, after a few sets of an exercise that puts stress on the wrist, the pain goes away and i can finish workin out. After the workout though, when my wrist cools down after a couple hours the pain comes back. Can I keep workin out and just wrap up my wrist whenever I'm not in the gym? Or should I just rest it? ( i really hate not workin out)
    It seems you have the exact samre problem that I have recently stumbled upon also. When I twist my hand in a "corkscrew" manner I get pain on the left side of my left wrist. I have not worked out in two days because of this and do not intend to until I speak to a doctor. There is no way you should be working out if you are getting pain in your wrist. You will only make it worse.

Anyway, do you get this pain while attempting to twist your hand in a corkscrew manner? Also, do you notice the pain while bringing your arms down in straight barbell curls?

I think the root of my problem can be attributed to tight grip bench press that I was doing. I was probably doing it too tight as my hands were no more than 5 inches apart. This was putting extreme tension on my wrists. I am guessing, this, along with all the other excercises I was doing caused some tendon inflamation or something. I noticed, for about 2 weeks, slight pain while doing the first set or two of whatever exercise it was, and then it gradually went away as my workout progressed. You mentioned this is what you are experiencing. I would strongly recommend taking a week off. I ignored this "slight" pain and decided to keep working out hard. I took a day off and then did my chest workout. I experienced NO pain during this work out. However, when I woke up the next morning I found that I had some serious pain while trying to twist my wrist. I attempted to lift the straight barbell as if I was going to curl (with no weight on it at all) and got some serious pain as soon as the wrist had to endure the tension.

My guess is: I probably have some minor tendon damage that needs time to heal. There is no swelling or anything, but its pretty aparent that there is something wrong with the tendon. Unless you want the problem to further develop, do not work out at least until the pain is completely gone. I have no intention of working out this week and possibly even next week. There is no sense in damaging something further when it can be prevented with a simple short break.

You are probably right, It may very well be tendonitis. I developed shoulder tendonitis last summer and was unable to lift my arm above shoulder height or else there would be serious pain. This wrist condition feels exactly the same in that there is limited motion until the pain is felt. My shoulder healed in about a week of not working out. However, when I came back I took it very easy for another week. I am going to the orthopedist on Wed to figure out what exactly this problem is in my wrist. I will let you know what he says as it seems like you have the same exact problem.

When I am back and healthy, I intend to do some wrist strengthening exercises. While you might be seeing some serious gains in other parts of your body, your wrist is not gaining strength at the same speed. While your wrist may have once been able to handle the current weight you were lifting, if you tack on another 80 lbs to that, there is a chance that the extra stress could cause some problems in your wrists. Also, make sure your form is good and you are not breaking (bending) your wrists during your exercises. I know I am guilty of sometimes cheating (arching back/bending wrists) in my final reps of bench press in order to get the weight up.

I really hate not working out too, but usually a week off means I come back stronger anyway.
    Last edited by evnp85; 08-14-2006 at 03:38 PM.

agree with everyone's frustration. some people dont have to work out their forearms. but i got genes where my forearms do not want to grow. my shoulder grows automatically when i do bench press. i dont even have to work it out to add more weight to the bench. but what really gets me is the darn forearms. they give out before my chest and it really frustrates me. the past month ive gotten the right side of my right forearms inflamed doing EZ curl bar reverse curls. i jerked it too much so the tendons got screwed up. damnit im icing this every night and it just wont go away which is killing my workouts.

the wrist seems like such an easy place to ice but i think your blood flow just doesnt concentrate all the way down to your wrist. you get the least bloodflow in your extremes (wrist/ankle). today i tried to work out my forearms but to no avail. im in a pretty ticked off mood because of it... i decided im gonna ice my wrist the whole day and pray it goes away so i could be happy again.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical Andy
    agree with everyone's frustration. some people dont have to work out their forearms. but i got genes where my forearms do not want to grow. my shoulder grows automatically when i do bench press. i dont even have to work it out to add more weight to the bench. but what really gets me is the darn forearms. they give out before my chest and it really frustrates me. the past month ive gotten the right side of my right forearms inflamed doing EZ curl bar reverse curls. i jerked it too much so the tendons got screwed up. damnit im icing this every night and it just wont go away which is killing my workouts.

the wrist seems like such an easy place to ice but i think your blood flow just doesnt concentrate all the way down to your wrist. you get the least bloodflow in your extremes (wrist/ankle). today i tried to work out my forearms but to no avail. im in a pretty ticked off mood because of it... i decided im gonna ice my wrist the whole day and pray it goes away so i could be happy again.
    I don't really think wrist curls are a good idea, and if your forearms are giving out on a benchpress (???) it doesn't sound like you're doing it right.

I did wrist curls for a little while when I had first started lifting and had no clue what I was doing. It seemed to cause tendonitis in the same way you are all stating.
    It actually went away after a while; I don't know if my wrists got used to it or what, but it did go away.

As for plain old curls, I rarely even do those, but perhaps trying dumbbells instead of the curl bar would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    I don't really think wrist curls are a good idea, and if your forearms are giving out on a benchpress (???) it doesn't sound like you're doing it right.

I did wrist curls for a little while when I had first started lifting and had no clue what I was doing. It seemed to cause tendonitis in the same way you are all stating.
    It actually went away after a while; I don't know if my wrists got used to it or what, but it did go away.

As for plain old curls, I rarely even do those, but perhaps trying dumbbells instead of the curl bar would make a difference.
    hey chris686, well not on barbell bench. barbell bench is easy on the forearms. but i do db bench, which does place a lot of stress on the forearms to keep them stable. id barbell bench if i had a partner to spot me but its hard to find workout partners that fit your schedule.

ive never had problems with my wrist before. i lifted more weights before and i had no problems. but then i came down with a rotator cuff injury that sidelined me for a year. i stopped working out, period. now im back and im impatient... i worked out my forearms 2-3 times a week. i think i just didnt give em enough time to recover. not only that but i gotta ice my shoulders every night. i just get ice cubes and rub it on the inflamed area. doing this so vigorously with a strong grip on the ice cubes somehow seems to have caused an early onset of carpal tunnel... but its nothing serious... however carpal tunnel = inflammation. so i think the inflamed palm area eventually expanded to my stressed out wrist. darn im angry. im gonna ice my palms too now so i get rid of all the reinforcing agents of inflammation.