Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow Tendonitis came back

Elbow Tendonitis came back

I always had it and my elbow always hurted after chest and tricep workouts. But it was mild pain. But I recently tried arm wrestling this co worker (link here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=83049 )

It is helluva a lot worst. After my benching today I had to stop (Now I post this). So I take a week off.

But should I continue with the Deadlifts, bent over rows, good mornings, squats, romanian deadlifts, front squats ?

I'm going to have to stay away from chin ups, pull ups, curls, and military presses...pretty much that requires some kind of elbow flexion (sp?); this makes me want to think twice about the bent over rows and the front squats (the clean grip).

Not sure about the wrist isolation like wrist workouts.

Only one way to find out.................... try them
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

I would say, if it hurts, don't do the exercise. I have elbow pain also, but the only exercise I have to avoid is the reverse curl. Try http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/nquarrie/contrast.html they helped my injury. Also, ice helps.

Take a week off of any exercise that uses your elbows at all (this includes squats!). See how they feel then.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Pretty crappy... I did light workouts last week, and I don't want to have to back off another week.

I am treating it with cold twice a day for 20-30 minutes. About to go to sleep...and it's kind of aching right now.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Wannabebig Member
    Scary, exact same thing happened to me.

Would often get elbow pain after chest/tri days.

I arm wrestled a co-worker 3 weeks ago. 2 days later after 2nd set of bench, my arm was killing me. Didn't lift for a few weeks. Today was my first day back at the gym for chest/tris. After the workout, my arm felt a bit tender, not too bad though. I hope everything's all good now. I thought I would be out a lot longer.

Banned
    All I gotta say is GLUCOSAMINE!...It did wonders for me, now I take it everyday, it's great for your joints. A long time ago my powerlifting couch made me do skull crushers with a straight bar, without any warming up! That's right, and he wanted me to do 135lbs!...Needless to say, my elbows got screwed up, I had this terrible tendonitis that wouldn't go away, then I took glucosamine, and almost inmidietly I started to see my elbows getting better...Now my tendonitis is completely gone and it's great, and I'm still going heavy, without any discomfort. Good luck!

Glucosamine huh, I may have to try that out. I've been experiencing some discomfort in my joints lately. It's not too bad right now, but I'd like to prevent it from getting worse, if possible.
    "The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore." - Dale Carnegie

"The most important quality is to live the life you want to have, not the life you have." - Dave Tate

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfullment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious." - Vince Lombardi

A fellow sufferer of elbow tendonitis here saying that you're not alone! Yeah, I have the same problem, but I also have it my knees. Ice it man, give it more time to rest than you would have in the past. Tendonitis isn't a serious problem, but it can lead to more serious problems. To avoid this, only work it out if you feel you can. You're not going to lose strength because you didn't work it out as often as you would like.

I had tennis elbow when I was younger and the only thing that fixed it was not playing tennis.

May have to take a break for a while, take plenty of ibuprofen and ice it. Let it heal!!!!
    Last edited by Paladyr; 08-12-2006 at 08:39 AM.

If it makes you feel any better or worse, I had pain for over a month after arm wrestling.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Also, if you can, substitute exercises that do not hurt but use the same muscles, for those exercises that do hurt.

WOoooh! Time to be lazy for a month! Sweet I going to use this excuse for all workouts

Nah....after a week it (I hope) the pain would be "just mild" and I can continue on working out again.

About the glucosamine, I have heard it takes 3-5 months for it to become noticeable working. Not sure...anyone ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    WOoooh! Time to be lazy for a month! Sweet I going to use this excuse for all workouts

Nah....after a week it (I hope) the pain would be "just mild" and I can continue on working out again.

About the glucosamine, I have heard it takes 3-5 months for it to become noticeable working. Not sure...anyone ?
    Not true, you feel the change almost right away. Why do people insist in believing everything they hear, but refuse to try the products? I've noticed the big natural guys are the ones always buying supplements, and the skinny guys always saying ''Nah, don't try any supplements, they are nothing but a waste of money , they don't work anyways, they only thing that works is steroids'' while the big natural guy keeps on getting bigger and stronger on supplements.

If what you say about glucosamine is true (I'm assuming you tried it and worked well for you)

Then hell I'm going out to GNC tomorrow and picking up a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    I'm going out to GNC tomorrow and picking up a bottle.
    Get one with MSM in is.

Great! I've also heard something about Chrondrotin is that the same thing as MSN or what ?

Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity. For information on MSM, go to http://www.healingdaily.com/conditio...joint-pain.htm. They are two different things, and you can get capsules with Glucosamine, Chrondroitin, and MSM in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwhitemale
    All I gotta say is GLUCOSAMINE!...It did wonders for me, now I take it everyday, it's great for your joints. A long time ago my powerlifting couch made me do skull crushers with a straight bar, without any warming up! That's right, and he wanted me to do 135lbs!...Needless to say, my elbows got screwed up, I had this terrible tendonitis that wouldn't go away, then I took glucosamine, and almost inmidietly I started to see my elbows getting better...Now my tendonitis is completely gone and it's great, and I'm still going heavy, without any discomfort. Good luck!
    Is this for general joint pains? Cuz I also have elbow tendonitis, but I also have a shoulder that makes this wierd ass popping/snapping noise when I raise my arm. I could feel my bones grinding together (perhaps I have arthritis in my shoulder sockets). But is glucosamine good for that too. Becaus I really have to do something about my shoulder socket problem... it's starting to get serious.. and it kind of hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by CODmasterJYK
    Becaus I really have to do something about my shoulder socket problem... it's starting to get serious.. and it kind of hurts.
    Go see a doctor if it is a serious pain. How much does it hurt?

It doesn't hurt horribly, but I feel bones grinding together. It's got to be bones grinding together, cuz that's what it feels and sounds like.

I also took glucosamine/chondroitin when I had bad elbow tendonditis. I have no idea if it helped or not. It's pretty cheap though, and I don't think it can hurt, as long as you're not allergic.

Regular icing (daily, 2-3 times for short periods) definately did help though.

Ice it 3X a day for 20 minuites. Also use Glucosamine, Chrondrotin, and MSM.

"GNC Triflex"

Glucosamine
    Chondroitin
    MSM

500 mg / 400 mg / 300 mg

40 bucks for 120 caplets (+40 free) ... because it's like one of those special deals. Expensive. I bought two bottles.

I've been down this road and I would go into therapy. Chances are you won't ice it when you should be, and it's hard to hold a ice pack on your arm for that long unless you have one made for it. Don't do anything that bothers it for a while.
    Last edited by HahnB; 08-15-2006 at 06:33 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Try ART therapy. I had it bad in both elbows. Now I'm almost pain free in my left elbow with my right being completely free of any symptoms.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo