The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lost my cell phone

A couple things.

First, has anyone ever tried to replace their phone using a 3rd party vendor (amazon, wirefly, etc) before your contract was up? They have good deals at both places and I'd hate to have to buy the phone outright. Cingular is closed today, so I can't even ask. The ****ers who got my phone already changed my voicemail password! Ridiculous.

Second, if I had your number or you think I should have your number, PM me with it. I had a lot from here and I've not been wise enough to back them up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

a) That sucks
    b) Can't the cellular company shut the phone down based onthe serial number or something?
    c) I'm looking into the same thing - I upgraded my phone in September, and I now want to get a Treo, but I can't upgrade until next September. I haven't found any deals I'm willing to take - everything is used or open box for what I'd end up paying to upgrade in 6 months.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I called and did the automated shut-off deal, which works within 24 hours. With any luck they won't decide to call their friends from China until after it's already handled.

I'm going to call Cingular tomorrow morning, as I said, because wirefly has the RAZR for free after rebate. If they'll just restart my contract, then I'll be happy enough.

Folks I work with like Cingular's customer service, so hopefully they'll work with you. I think most of the online deals are for new agreements. They might not be that nice to you, but maybe you can replace the phone at the same price you would pay to upgrade.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Sorry to hear that. I just recently copied out all my numbers when I had a scare that my phone had given up the ghost from dropping it in the dish water.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I've had horrible luck with Cingular...which is why I switched to T-mobile. if you have an old phone or whatever then that's your best bet, just get a new sim card. If not I have an unlocked phone you can use...you're not too far away anyway, LOL. Restarting teh contract is something they're usually not very amenable to doing, unless you're a few months away from ending it. Did you get the "insurance" on it...in which case you get a free replacement. Good luck, and I'll text you my number, LOL!
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

They shut off your phone in 24hours? Thats ****ing slow. With Bell I can have my phone shut off literally 10 minutes after I call in. Chances are you will have to change service providers to get a phone for free, because 99% of the time free phones/rebates are for new customers only. The RAZR is like $300usd or something to buy outright....I hate cell phones.
    My sig scared getfit.

So, yeah...this situation generally sucks. I called my phone now and it's been shut off, but I'm fairly screwed now on the phone situation.

I hope there's a lesson in all of this.

The razr's overrated, gal. My friend has it and it isn't as hot as I thought it would be. It's very long and wide, but thin... still pretty cool, though.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Thanks Beast. Any suggestions?

None of the phones I've looked at have made me ooh and ahh, to be honest. I'd like to get a Treo, but I can't justify the huge monthly bill for data transfer.

There's a new LG out that has stereo speakers, which is rather amusing.
    The Razr is good, it's just not $300-400 good, IMO. If you can get a deal on it, go for it.
    I would call your provider and see if they can do you a deal. Some of the companies around here seem to give away phones if you tell them you're going to switch companies. Even though you're still under contract, they might be able to do you a deal. Act disgruntled.

Oh believe me, I'm ****ing disgruntled.

Xian: when i used to work for Qwest cell phones, and we had this situation here is what they would do.

It depends how far you were into the contract, then they would give you the option to reup the contract if you were near the end. THey would also offer incentives off the price off a phone i believe with qwest it was 175 for a year contract and 200 for a 2 year contract.

Not sure if cingular works the same way, but thought this info might be helpful.

I know several people with a Razr, and it's a nice little phone. IT does a lot of stuff, takes a nice pic and even shoots a bit of video I think. I don't think they're great phones if you're a person that's rough with one, but otherwise they're not bad.

LOL.I know a guy that got TWO Razr's for 30 bucks at Sam's. You should just shop around for a new contract, unless you're completely screwed on the one you have. I'm sure you can get a nice phone as part of a new plan and be all set for minimal $$$.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I'm only 10 months into my current contract, out of 24. The only way I can get it cancelled is if I use it in morgantown for more than 60% of my calling, where they'll cut me off.

I think you just solved Jorge Sanchez's question of how he should blow $1000...

Pay for all the roaming calls to Nigeria that are now on your bill.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 03-19-2006 at 06:08 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

So it's gonna cost you 140 to get out of the contract. If you didn't already know.

They HAVE to have some kind of plan for this ****. This happens all the time.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

$140, then I can score a new service deal with another company? Hmmm. Might be worth it.

10 months in, they might let you upgrade your phone and renew your 2 year contract.

Even Verizon would do that.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You know, none of the new phones out there have impressed me, either.
    The Treo is ok, but I could never justify the cost for it unless I was in a job that required me to have email access 24/7. Plus I think it just looks stupid holding that big thing to your ear.
    I guess the coolest thing out there now is that new Sliver phone, although I've never seen one in real life, yet. Sorry that I can't be much help.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    Second, if I had your number or you think I should have your number, PM me with it. I had a lot from here and I've not been wise enough to back them up.
    Just for the future: I set up an alarm in my phone to alert me once a month to sync my phone contacts with my computer. On my Mac, it takes just a couple of seconds to do that. This way, I have all my contacts backed up.

As a second backup, I try to set aside ten or fifteen minutes a month to, get this, WRITE any new numbers in a phone book.

Before I set this routine up, I lost one phone, and it majorly sucked to piece together my phonebook. Then, after I instituted my plan, I broke a phone, but getting all my stuff back on the third phone was a snap!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

The RAZR sucks balls. I had one that I bought for $149 minus a $50 mail in rebate. I had to exchange it in the first 30 days. Then before the 30 days were up I just returned it for a refund. The upside is that they went ahead and sent me my rebate. The one I had constantly locked up and the casing is so thin, flat and slick that it's almost impossible to hold on to. They do not make a case to keep it in for protection. You have to buy new car chargers and spare home chargers because they do not have the same plug as all other Motorola's. All in all I hated that damn phone.

They say the new SLVR is terrible about the screen getting scratched. It looks like they took a RAZR and flattened it out.

As for a phone that I personally have had good luck with. Look into the Motorola V551. I've had mine for about 2 years and it's been through hell. I've dropped it countless times and it's even been into the ocean.

As for a new phone. i occasionally get them off of Ebay. I keep a spare one at the house just in case me or one of the kids break one. You can get them pretty cheap off there. Just make sure you get on that is suitable for your carrier or one that is unlocked. That way all you have to do is hit up Cingular for a new sim card and your ready to go.

P.S. I can't see where you would want or need my cell phone number so I didn't send it.
    Last edited by midee1; 03-20-2006 at 05:14 AM.
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

I'm not much of a phone person, but I just got the Motorola ROKR (phone+ipod+512mb transflash card) and it works well. It also came with an SD adapter for the transflash card, so I can plug it directly into my laptop and transfer files.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to weigh out my options after I call Cingular. I really don't want to drop a large sum of money on a phone right now, especially since I won't be getting the big discount from a new contract.

$199 for a new phone, $150 to cancel my contract. I'm going to call back later and see if I can get someone with a little more power to give me the phone for $150.