Thread: How to get motivated again

Hybrid View

How to get motivated again

From the age of 16 up until I was 25 I was very motivated in living healthy and working out. I ate good foods, worked out often. I always stayed around 8-11% body fat.

Recently, about the last year and half I have lost all motivation to eat healthy and to work out. I've lost all my muscle, I've gained about 70 pounds, I've gone up about 4 pants sizes. I'm completely dissatisfied with my body. I can't even stand to look at myself in the mirror anymore. However, every time I start eating healthy and working out again, I go back to eating pizza and taco bell every night and just sitting on my couch all day long after work watching TV.

I really want to get my spark back to get back into shape, does anyone have any sources or words of encouragement that you use when you're not motivated anymore to go to the gym and to stay/get into shape?

Do it for your loved ones.

And stop listening to A7x... Only because they suck.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by Eszekial
    Do it for your loved ones.

And stop listening to A7x... Only because they suck.
    Their newer stuff I really don't like, but I'm a fan of their first two albums.

Watch Pumping Iron and The cost of redemption....

Go to MMI power training and watch some of their videos... 515lb squats 20 times in 40 seconds. 700-800lb deadlifts, 1000+lb squats 625lb raw bench for 3 easy reps. If that doesnt motivate you then you dont have a pulse

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    Tell you what works for me, in my room I have a couple posters of the ideal physique I would love to have and currenly Im far from it but just taking a minute to look at it when i get up out of bed keeps me motivated to keep pushing to finally get to that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Go to MMI power training and watch some of their videos... 515lb squats 20 times in 40 seconds. 700-800lb deadlifts, 1000+lb squats 625lb raw bench for 3 easy reps. If that doesnt motivate you then you dont have a pulse
    I must not have a pulse. I don't get pumped up watching fat dudes do things I could never physically achieve on my frame, even with synthetic augmentation.

Quote Originally Posted by xian
    I must not have a pulse. I don't get pumped up watching fat dudes do things I could never physically achieve on my frame, even with synthetic augmentation.
    :withstupi

I agree, I do however get motivated by guys like Jay Cutler, who seems to be down to earth and still successfull because he works hard at it.

I do agree with what Callahan said... find something that gives you that sparks inside YOU...

Last edited by _8_Ball; 08-03-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xian

Watch powerhouse48's video. I bet his bodyfat is lower then yours and he can go ass to the grass with 515lbs for 20 reps.

Id also be willing to be NickW from MMI has a lower BF then you and has nailed 625lbs for 2 easy reps on benchpress.

I get pumped watching relatively lean people move mountains of weight. Whatever floats your boat though.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Watch powerhouse48's video. I bet his bodyfat is lower then yours and he can go ass to the grass with 515lbs for 20 reps.

Id also be willing to be NickW from MMI has a lower BF then you and has nailed 625lbs for 2 easy reps on benchpress.

I get pumped watching relatively lean people move mountains of weight. Whatever floats your boat though.
    His point was, it's not very motivating to watch people with awesome genetics do things your frame is incapable of achieving. In fact, it can be downright depressing.

It's so bad, Xian stopped working out entirely.
    Last edited by Patz; 08-03-2006 at 05:09 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I stood in the elevator today...all alone..."pling"...a woman walks in....I see her eyeballing me in the mirror...all of the sudden I feel her tits on my left arm.

Tits on a left arm in an elevator on a thursday morning.

Now thats something.

BodyBuilding is the Rulorz.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    His point was, it's not very motivating to watch people with awesome genetics do things your frame is incapable of achieving. In fact, it can be downright depressing.

It's so bad, Xian stopped working out entirely.
    If you want to believe that **** go for it...
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 08-04-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBates
    From the age of 16 up until I was 25 I was very motivated in living healthy and working out. I ate good foods, worked out often. I always stayed around 8-11% body fat.

Recently, about the last year and half I have lost all motivation to eat healthy and to work out. I've lost all my muscle, I've gained about 70 pounds, I've gone up about 4 pants sizes. I'm completely dissatisfied with my body. I can't even stand to look at myself in the mirror anymore. However, every time I start eating healthy and working out again, I go back to eating pizza and taco bell every night and just sitting on my couch all day long after work watching TV.

I really want to get my spark back to get back into shape, does anyone have any sources or words of encouragement that you use when you're not motivated anymore to go to the gym and to stay/get into shape?
    This would be enough to get me motivated.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Do it becuase you want to live healthy and see your kids and grandchildren grow up. So you can go running with them down teh soccer fields and play all the sports they want to play. My dad hasn't been able to do those things with me for yeras, but before he was in a car accident he lived a healthy lifestyel and he would play football, basketball, baseball and do many outdoor activities with; many which I keep close to me till this day. If that doesn't motivated you, I don't know what will.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Banned
    The only one that can motivate you is YOU.

Maybe you need to read a Tony Robbins book or 7 Habits by Stephen Covey. Maybe you need to join a new team or club with some sort of physical activity (ultimate frisbee springs to mind as a good start that's easy and fun). Maybe you just need to START something.

A friend of mine swears by his 'bathroom list'. He has a laminated sheet with goals and ambitions tacked up in his bathroom shower where he has to see it EVERY DAY when he's showering. He says it keeps him motivated and focused EVERY DAY on getting to where he wants. But this is just a methodology to achieve a result.

You want to change? REALLY change?

1) Decide to change.
    2) Start taking action to effect that change, one baby step at a time if needed.
    3) Continue taking actions.
    4) Get sidetracked? Revisit point #1.

Another thing that gets me motivated are the stories of those who did the unbelieveable; a blind guy climbed mount everest. ****, if a blind guy can climb the most difficult of mountains and not no where he is going then I can do any damn thing I put my mind to. If a guy can shatter both his knee caps yet come back to win a bodybuilding competition I can sure as hell put in the extra effort to be great. If those kind of things don't give you motivation I don't know what will. Anytime I am thinking I can't get another rep I envision one of those men just pouring their mind, body and spirit to make that difference; to be that something that no one thought they could be.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

What motivates me to keep with it, is knowing how unhappy I was before. I was fat, out-of-shape, and basically alone. I had stress headaches every day, and was unable to handle the general pressures of life (and my divorce). I feel WORLDS better since I got into the healthy life, and I'll always find a way to keep active.

I'm also 245 @ 1,000,000% bodyfat in my driver's license pic...lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Look in the mirror.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

you live once <-- my motivation to change my habits

Noone can motivate you BUT YOU.

Kick yourself in the ass and get it moving.

I am sure we can arrange that.

All we need is an elevator, a morning, me and you and about 30seconds hehe
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Keep reading these forums on how lifting changed people lifes for the better that should keep you motivated.