The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Routine Critique - Too many sets?

Hey I have had this question on my mind for a few weeks and this seems like a good place to ask it. I have been weight lifting off and on for the last couple of years, and have recently decided to get serious about gym time, but I want to know if this is overdoing it. My new routine consists of about 28 sets per workout. All sets of 5 start with 12 reps and gradually increase weight and decrease reps to about 7.

Day 1 includes Chest and Tri's:
    5x bench press (I rotate incline, decline, level)
    5x dumbbell or machine fly
    5x machine press or dumbbell press
    5x dips
    8x various tricep exercises
    (might do 4x abs)

Day 2 is Back and Bi's
    5x Assisted Chin-up
    5x seated row
    5x Lateral pull down
    5x dumb bell row
    8x various bicep exercises
    4x lower back exercises
    (might do 6x abs)

Day 3 is shoulders and some back
    5x military press (rotate barbell and dumbbell)
    5x dumbbell raises
    5x dumbell shrugs
    5x various trap exercises
    (might do 4x abs)

I then take 1-2 days off rest and restart. I am not working legs for the short term because I have tendinitis in my foot and it is not healed yet. When it is healed, I will insert a leg workout for days 2 and 4, making this a 5 day workout plan, plus rest. I normally warm up with a bike ride to the gym, or a warm up on the bike machines at the gym. I'm not sure exactly how long my exercise visits take, but probably about an hour and a half. As you can see, for the most part it is 20 sets of the large muscle for that day, and then 8 for the supporting. By the time I get into the 15th set for a muscle group, I am pretty tired. This routine only made me "sore" for the first week or 2, and now I do not get sore at all. I am a smaller guy (155 pounds, 5'7"), and do not lift a whole lot of weight for each set, but by the time I do the last set or 2 with 7-8 reps, I am fatigued for that exercise.

So my main question is, is this a good routine? Is it ok to have this many sets? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wouldn't suggest it, no.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    I was doing my chest all on one day, then 2 days later bi's and tri's, then 2-3 days later shoulders, back and legs. 3 days a week. But, I was overdoing too. 4 heavy sets (5 reps a set or so) on bench along with warmups, 4 sets on incline, 3 on decline, 2 on flat dumbells, 2 on incline dumbells, then 3 on pec deck. Used to go to fatigue before. What happened? Frigged up my rotator cuff after some people warned me. 3-4 years of overdoing it. Now I am fighting to keep what I have.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefiend
    Hey I have had this question on my mind for a few weeks and this seems like a good place to ask it. I have been weight lifting off and on for the last couple of years, and have recently decided to get serious about gym time, but I want to know if this is overdoing it. My new routine consists of about 28 sets per workout. All sets of 5 start with 12 reps and gradually increase weight and decrease reps to about 7.

Day 1 includes Chest and Tri's:
    5x bench press (I rotate incline, decline, level)
    5x dumbbell or machine fly
    5x machine press or dumbbell press
    5x dips
    8x various tricep exercises
    (might do 4x abs)

Day 2 is Back and Bi's
    5x Assisted Chin-up
    5x seated row
    5x Lateral pull down
    5x dumb bell row
    8x various bicep exercises
    4x lower back exercises
    (might do 6x abs)

Day 3 is shoulders and some back
    5x military press (rotate barbell and dumbbell)
    5x dumbbell raises
    5x dumbell shrugs
    5x various trap exercises
    (might do 4x abs)

I then take 1-2 days off rest and restart. I am not working legs for the short term because I have tendinitis in my foot and it is not healed yet. When it is healed, I will insert a leg workout for days 2 and 4, making this a 5 day workout plan, plus rest. I normally warm up with a bike ride to the gym, or a warm up on the bike machines at the gym. I'm not sure exactly how long my exercise visits take, but probably about an hour and a half. As you can see, for the most part it is 20 sets of the large muscle for that day, and then 8 for the supporting. By the time I get into the 15th set for a muscle group, I am pretty tired. This routine only made me "sore" for the first week or 2, and now I do not get sore at all. I am a smaller guy (155 pounds, 5'7"), and do not lift a whole lot of weight for each set, but by the time I do the last set or 2 with 7-8 reps, I am fatigued for that exercise.

So my main question is, is this a good routine? Is it ok to have this many sets? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Way too many sets. That routine strongly resembles what many pros use (or what is claimed they use). You'd likely do better reducing the volume by AT LEAST half if not 2/3rds.

Also you are working shoulders in every workout (directly or indirectly) which equates to 5-6 times a week. That is far too many, and with the volume of sets you do is likely to set you up for a shoulder injury... if you do not overtrain first.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-06-2006 at 05:27 AM.