Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bored and need something to do

Charley's Journal

I'm usually at work 13 hours a day sitting in front of a computer so I figure why not waste some time keeping an online journal of my workout progress. Today was a cardio day so nothing really to post other than my diet was perfect, but tomorrow I'll start posting my weight training routine.

Stats:
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 175
    Goal: Lose little bit of fat that is covering my lower abs and gain size and strength
    Last edited by CBates; 01-31-2002 at 10:07 AM.

13 hour days at work? Wow. I couldn't handle that.

I know, it sucks bad working that many hours.. But I get every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off, so I just deal with it..

Here is what my diet consists of as of now, will probably up the carbs if I start losing too much muscle on this diet..

Meal 1 (pre workout)
    1 serving of oatmeal and 1 scoop of whey protein powder
    180 cals, 26g protein, 6g fat, 32g carbs

Post workout shake
    1 & 1/2 scoop of whey protein w/ water
    180 cals, 31g protein, 4g fat, 8g carbs

Meal 2
    5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 tbsp of flax seed oil
    400 cals, 30g protein, 19g fat, 4g carbs

Meal 3
    1 can tuna in water, 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 servings of green veggies (usually spinach)
    300 cals, 41g protein, 8g fat, 12g carbs

meal 4
    same as meal 3

meal 5
    1 serving of low fat cottage cheese and 1 chicken breast
    200 cals, 33g protein, 5g fat, 6g carbs

meal 6 (before bed)
    1 serving of low fat cottage cheese and 1 tbps of flax seeds
    170 cals, 16g protein, 8g fat, 9g carbs

total:
    1730 cals, 218g protein, 58g fat, 83g carbs

Anybody suggest anything I should add or take out on this diet. Not really sure of the results I'll see from this since I've only been on it 4 days now. BTW, this is a cutting diet..

Pretty good workout today, sleep wasn't that great.. Only got 6 1/2 hours of sleep, but hard to fit in a lot of sleep when working 13 hour days and raising a 3 year old on your own. So until I get a job w/ better hours my sleep is going to suck.

Did 2 sets of preacher curls and some pushups to get warmed up.

Wrist curls (forearms really lacking, need to find a new training method for them, any suggestions?) w/ palms down: 2x10

BB bech press: using 265 lbs; 6 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

DB curls: using 45 lbs; 8 reps, 7 reps

DB kick backs: using 35 lbs; 10 reps, 10 reps

close grip bench: using 205 lbs; 8 reps, 6 reps

Overall I felt pretty good about my workout.. Last few weeks I have dropped weight and worked on perfect form on each. Paying off a lot now.

I'm going to post pictures of my front and back the first of each month so I'll have a visual to go by to track my results also. Need to invest in a digital cam though. My web cam sucks and quality is sh!tty as hell.

Pic of front.
    Attached Images Attached Images

pic of back

oh, no pic of legs till I build them up. I had to lay off of deads and squats for a month because I reinjured my knee I broke a few years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

looking great man!!
    upper chest freak

Thanks Hot Shot.

I'm also going to post my 1RM on bench, squat, and deadlifts the first of the month also. Right now I'm quite embarrassed at my deads and squats do to me only training them about 3 weeks since I took the month off with my knee injury. But hopefully next month I'll really improve in both. Bench is decent. Needs to be better though.

1RM bench: 315 lbs
    1RM squat: 315 lbs
    1RM deads: 365 lbs

Diet is not going so well today, been busy and not enough time to eat, but I've eaten what is on my list above, just everything is pushed back about 2 hours though. Also added more protein and more carbs to my post workout shake. Sleep was OK, 7 hours.

Workout today was pretty good, my deads and squats are getting better, getting them up to where I almost had them before I had to take a month off of them. Hoping by the end of the month I'll be back up to what I was working out with on each.

weighted crunches: 10 reps, 10 reps

underhand bent over rolls: using 145 lbs; 10 reps, 10 reps (I know this is weak as hell, just recently started these about 2 weeks ago)

seated calf raises: 10 reps, 10 reps

squats: using 250 lbs; 8 reps, 5 reps

seated DB shoulder press: using 50 lbs; 10 reps, 9 reps

BB shrugs: using 205 lbs; 12 reps, 10 reps

deadlifts: using 245 lbs; 8 reps, 7 reps

weighted back hyperextensions: 10 reps, 10 reps

wide grip pull ups: 8 reps, 5 reps (LOL, just started these last week, I used to be able to do a sh!t load when I'd take my son to the park, well since it's been cold haven't went to the park in 3 months, but now I'm able to go out to the park 2 or 3 times a week now, so these will increase pretty quickly)

Overall I'm impressed that all my lifts have went up since last week in everything, but not near satisfied with any of them though.

Off from training today.. Diet is going good so far. Only got 6 hour of sleep last night. Should be taking a nap right now, but I don't want to lose any hours in my day, so I'm just going to update this instead. Changing my diet a little bit though.

On the days I train I'm keeping my diet the same as above except for my post workout shake I'll be taking 2 scoops of whey protein and 1 scoop of creatine since it contains dextrose until I receive my pure dextrose I ordered. The days I train and will keep this diet will be Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.

But break down of my post workout shake now is

Post workout shake
    2 scoops of whey protein, 1 scoop of creatine, 2 cups of water
    400 cals, 42g protein, 5g fat, 44g carbs

Totals for those above 4 days is now:
    1950 cals, 229g protein, 59g fat, 119 carbs

On Wednesday and Sunday I'll do 20 minutes of cardio, so I'll not be taking in the pre workout meal and my post workout shake will just include 2 scoops of whey protein and no carbs, but the diet will stay the same the rest of the day

Totals for these 2 days is:
    1630 cals, 203g protein, 53g fat, 53 carbs

Saturday is a complete off day of cardio and training (well maybe some cardio later that night if I get lucky), but no planned cardio.
    I'm going to use this day as a cheat day kind of, but not going all balls to the wall like I have been in the past for cheat days. What I will do is try to keep the diet the same as my training days minus the post workout shake, but add oatmeal with my eggs instead of keeping the 2 meals separated, and also I'm going to add brown rice with my chicken and cottage cheese, and will also add an additional meal of 2 serving size of steak and 1 average size sweet potato as a meal. Since it is somewhat of a cheat day I'm not counting cals this day, b/c I might add a snack or 2 throughout the day.

So basically it's coming down to 3 different types of meals a week. Medium carbs on weight training days, low carbs on cardio days, and high carbs on Saturday. I'm going to stick to this diet as close as possible for the next month and see where it gets me. If I'm not losing fat, start to lose muscle, or just stay the same I'll play around with it some more towards the first of March. If anybody sees anything I can change or make any suggestions anywhere please feel free to give me your advice.

Not much to report here today. Sleep was pretty good, 7 hours.. 20 minute cardio session this morning. Diet's been perfect except for 1 serving of fat free ice cream. Which is 90 cals, so it didn't fock my diet up too much. Still got about 5 hours before I go to sleep, just hope I can keep out of the ice cream before I go to sleep. Probably need to throw it away so I wont be tempted by it.. Bought it last night for my cheat day..

Sleep was pretty good, 7 1/2 hours last night. Still kind of early to say how my diet is, but I'm sure it'll be perfect since I'll be stuck at work for the next 13 hours won't have the chance to go off of it.. Had a pretty good workout today

Did 2 sets of preacher curls and 1 set of elevated pushups to get warmed up.

Wrist curls w/ palms down: 2x10

BB bench press: using 265 lbs; 7 reps, 5 reps, dropped weight to 260 lbs; 5 reps (getting that 7th rep w/ 265 took a lot out of me while maintaining perfect form, but I've never been able to do that many reps before with that much weight so dropping weight for my last set is fine w/ me)

DB curls: using 45 lbs; 8 reps, 7 reps

DB fly's: using 45 lbs; 10 reps, 10 reps (I know this is week, but just added this to my routine today, haven't done these in like 5 years)

DB kick backs: using 35 lbs; 12 reps, 11 reps

close grip bench: using 205 lbs; 8 reps, 6 reps

Everything increased or stayed the same so I'm pretty impressed with my workout today, sh!t I'm still feeling it in my chest and arms and my workout was like 3 hours ago.

Also made another adjustment to my diet, but that's b/c of my post workout shake, it needed a lot more carbs in it. About to start my shift, but when I get a break I'll post my complete diet now since I've chanced it up a few times.

OK, here is the new diet plan and I'm sticking with this one for the next month. No more changing it, until I receive my dextrose in, but that would maybe just up my carbs from protein shake like 5-10 carb grams, so not much to worry about there.

Meal 1 (pre workout)
    1 serving of oatmeal and 1 scoop of whey protein powder
    260 cals, 26g protein, 6g fat, 32g carbs

during workout I take in 2 servings of Gatorade
    100 cals, 28g carbs

Post workout shake
    2 scoops of whey protein and 2 scoops of dextrose w/ water
    540 cals, 42g protein, 5g fat, 68g carbs

Meal 2
    5 egg whites, 1 whole egg
    260 cals, 30g protein, 5g fat, 4g carbs

Meal 3
    1 can tuna in water, 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 servings of green veggies (usually spinach)
    300 cals, 41g protein, 8g fat, 12g carbs

meal 4
    same as meal 3

meal 5
    1 serving of low fat cottage cheese and 1 chicken breast
    200 cals, 33g protein, 5g fat, 6g carbs

meal 6
    1 serving of low fat cottage cheese and 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil
    220 cals, 13g protein, 15g fat, 4g carbs

total:
    2180 cals, 226g protein, 52g fat, 166g carbs

That's my diet on the 4 days a week I train with weights.. Increased carbs quite a bit, but everything else stayed around the same, well of course cals went up to.

Above states how my diet on my 2 cardio days and my off day, no modifications on those.

all i can say is that meal 6 get's my
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    all i can say is that meal 6 get's my
    Figured that meal would get your thumb up.. After all, I added that meal in there from your recommendation of flax and cottage cheese of last meal of the day..

or first meal of the day...it's flexible.

glad i could help out.

ps - on a side note..how the hell are you managing childcare working 13 hours a day?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

me thinks you are familar CBates? I am D00fy If that means anything to u
    WHOOP

Originally posted by Tryska
    or first meal of the day...it's flexible.

glad i could help out.

ps - on a side note..how the hell are you managing childcare working 13 hours a day?
    He goes to day care for 8 or 9 hours of the day, and then either my mother or sister will pick him up and watch him till I get off of work a few hours later.

Originally posted by reso
    me thinks you are familar CBates? I am D00fy If that means anything to u
    Yeah over from Elite.

yah i knew it bahaha cause of your e-mail and than your handle on this board man u got good mass:/
    WHOOP

Diet has been perfect so far today, sleep wasn't all that good, only 6 1/2 hours, had a good workout. Pretty much increased in everything, also added a set to my deads and squats. Since taking time off my legs, they are really lacking right now, but I'm gaining my strength back.

weighted crunches: 10 reps, 10 reps

seated DB shoulder press: using 50 lbs; 11 reps, 9 reps

underhand bent over rolls: using 145 lbs; 12 reps, 11 reps

seated calf raises: 12 reps, 12 reps

squats: using 265 lbs; 6 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

SLDL: using 175 lbs; 10 reps, 10 reps (this is weak, but this is my first day to do them, my lower back is really lacking compared to my upper back, so I needed to add something to help w/ lower back)

BB shrugs: using 205 lbs; 12 reps, 10 reps

deadlifts: using 265 lbs; 7 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

Felt really good since all my lifts went up, hoping in the next few months I'll stay injury free and get back up to squatting and deadlifting my old weight again..

Not much to report today, diet has been on point so far, did 20 minutes cardio this morning. Cardio kind of sucked though, I was so sore from yesterday adding more reps and weight, that I thought that going ahead and doing cardio would help me out with the soreness, but it just made it worse.

Not near as sore as I was yesterday so I'm glad that went away and didn't affect my lifting today. Sleep was decent was good (well for me anyway), got 7 hours, diet has been perfect so far today, I'm off work tomorrow so I might add an extra snack tonight b/c I'll probably stay up a little late tonight. Pretty impressed with my workout, still going up on everything. Since I've been adding more carbs to my diet I've notice I've still been losing body fat and gaining strength.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

wrist curls w/ palms down: 40x12, 40x12

BB bench press: 265x7, 265x6, 265x5

DB curls: 45x9, 45x7

DB fly: 55x10, 55x10

DB kickbacks: 40x10, 40x8

close grip bench: 205x7, 205x6

Only thing that dropped was close grip bench, but my whole chest and arms was so worn out, I was surprised I even got that much.

Weighed myself today (I'll do this every Friday morning) and I was at 171 lbs. Not good, I don't want to drop under 170 when cutting. Everytime I have good looking abs I'm around 155-160. I want to have good looking abs at 170 this time though. If I drop under 170 I'm adding more carbs in my diet. Sleep wasn't that good. Like 5 1/2 hours. A friend came over and we watched movies late last night, and my son woke up pretty early this morning. Diet has been good so far. Since I'm off work today, not sure how my diet is going to go though today, but I'm going to try to stick to it as close as possible since I'll be in and out of the house all day. Last night I had some candy, but sugar once a week isn't going to hurt anything so I'm not worried about it. Workout went as followed:

weighted crunches: 20x15, 25x10

seated DB shoulder press: 50x12, 50x10

underhand bent over rolls: 145x12, 145x12

seated calf raises: 155x12, 155x12

squats: 265x7, 265x6, 265x5

SLDL: 185x10, 185x10

BB shrugs: 215x10, 215x10

deadlifts: 265x7, 265x6, 265x5

Pretty much everything went up so I'm happy with my workout today, but I do need to do deads earlier. By the time I get to it my body is so worn out, it hurts my lifts in it a lot. Also I'm maxed out on all of my weight I own. First thing I'm doing is going to go buy some more weights because my bench, squat, and deads have been going up a lot in the last 2 weeks and this is all the weight I own.