The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    VA Guy

recomendations for easy protein outside whey

I am looking for new and easy as well as inexpensive ways to get protein. I am having whey shakes a few times a day and eating salmon which I get at $6.99 a lb already cooked at Whole Foods throughout the week and need to figure out something else as I dont really like Tuna unless it is in mayo which I know is really bad so I pass on this. I am not really interested in cooking much so I need so help.

-ray

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

milk... cottage cheese... nuts... peanut butter... other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by ehscrewdude
    milk... cottage cheese... nuts... peanut butter... other stuff...
    yep, milk is a huge one along with the other mentioned, also if you buy a good meat like a boars head chicken breast its great to snack on.
    2000 or bust

VA Guy
    I eats nuts and PB and drink milk but am looking for something that I can get 30+ grams of protein in on and would have to eat lots of nuts, PB, and milk to get that in one sitting. It is easy to eat a 4-6 ounce Salmon piece and get a good amount that is what I am looking for.

Hmmm, two cups of milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of oats is approximately 31 grams protein.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Hmmm, two cups of milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of oats is approximately 31 grams protein.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

VA Guy
    When you say oats do you mean oatmeal?

And about 720kcal, mixing carbs + fat also, with a resulting insulin spike that sends the body into fat storing mode.

Probably be better to buy loads of cheap tins of tuna, lean ground beef, frozen chicken breast portions (skinned), salmon steaks, almonds/sunflower/pumpkin seeds, and cottage cheese someone mentioned. The other day i stumbled across a ready to eat 200g packet of unflavoured chicken, roughly 46g of protein, 216 kcal for just £1. Bargain! =) Skimmed milk/peanut butter/oats are awsome, just stay away from fat/carb heavy meals.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=179

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Last edited by Steele; 08-06-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Tuna is a good one... I get 12 cans of albacore tuna (can't stand the other stuff, and it has less protein) for like, 10 bucks...

yeah tuna is huge also but i like Italian tuna better so its more expensive :d
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Ray,

I'm not really interested in cooking either...

But I love chicken breasts and buy a huge family pack of boneless, skinless breasts and cook them all at once on my foreman grill (well, one at a time, but one right after the other), then cut up 2 or 4 oz. portions, put in snack baggies, then put all the lil baggies in a bigger storage baggie......done cooking for the week all in less than an hour! Not *the* most inexpensive, but the initial $20 or so will last for about a week if supplemented with broccoli or a salad. And this way I know exactly how much I'm getting when i grab a little baggie - a 4 oz. portion is about 34g of protein.

I do the same with tuna - about 6 cans, and use canola mayo and celery. mix it all up and divide into a bunch of 2 or 4 oz. baggies.

I also eat eggs, almonds, cottage cheese, tuna, albacore steaks and occasional burger pattie (on the grill, not fast food) and protein snack bar. When I have oatmeal, I sprinkle 1/2 scoop whey (usually strawberry) to get some extra.

I'm new at this and trying to figure out the easiest way to keep it convenient!
    My kids will also go for the pre-cooked chicken or baggies of tuna as a snack instead of the chips and cookies that *used* to be in the cabinet

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    And about 720kcal, mixing carbs + fat also, with a resulting insulin spike that sends the body into fat storing mode.

Probably be better to buy loads of cheap tins of tuna, lean ground beef, frozen chicken breast portions (skinned), salmon steaks, almonds/sunflower/pumpkin seeds, and cottage cheese someone mentioned. The other day i stumbled across a ready to eat 200g packet of unflavoured chicken, roughly 46g of protein, 216 kcal for just £1. Bargain! =) Skimmed milk/peanut butter/oats are awsome, just stay away from fat/carb heavy meals.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=179

-Steele
    Please, do yourself a favor and read more articles on the forum.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Um, i did? And i quote -

Avoid meals containing fats and carbs
    Hmm?

Unfortunately, this is the typical meal of the Western diet. As a result, it's no wonder that obesity is an epidemic. Meals with a high carbohydrate content in combination with high-fat meals can actually promote a synergistic insulin release when compared to the two alone. High fat with high-carb meals represent the worst possible case scenario.
    Is that so?

Now, some people have argued that fat lowers the glycemic index of foods and should therefore be included in carb meals. But remember, the glycemic index only gives a measure of glucose response to a meal, not insulin response. And sometimes the glucose responses to a meal and the insulin responses to a meal aren't well correlated. So although you might be slowing the rate of glucose absorption into the blood by adding fat to your meals, you'll promote high blood levels of fats, carbs, and insulin. And that's a no-no!
    [Excrept from 'Massive Eating - Part II - Meal Combinations and Individual Differences']

'Hmmm, two cups of milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of oats is approximately 31 grams protein', you say? Pretty fat/carb heavy too.

And so the light of understanding dawns.

Thx.

-Steele
    Last edited by Steele; 08-06-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Um, i did? And i quote -

Hmm?

Is that so?

[Excrept from 'Massive Eating - Part II - Meal Combinations and Individual Differences']

'Hmmm, two cups of milk, two tablespoons of peanut butter and a cup of oats is approximately 31 grams protein', you say? Pretty fat/carb heavy too.

And so the light of understanding dawns.

Thx.

-Steele
    Excuse me, but peanut butter has some of the healthiest fats available, you need carbs as an energy source. Also, if you are looking for a diet that has a well-balanced macronutrient breakdown that's an excellent recipe.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 08-07-2006 at 07:15 AM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

'Please, do yourself a favor and read more articles on the forum.' was your original response, unless I am much mistaken.

What i said was taken directly from an article in the nutrition section of the website, I even posted the link for you. You can kinda shut up now.

That's it, I think.

-Steele