Thread: Steps to a one-handed pushup

Steps to a one-handed pushup

What are the steps to building up enough strength to do a one handed pushup? As I said, I won't have access to a gym or much equipment for a while, so I'm thinking of workouts I can do at home.

Do lots of pushups and pullups (you'll need the lat strength to support your body on one arm). I would say if you can do 50 pushups without stopping, you should be able to do at least 1 good 1-hander.

I haven't done them in a while, but my best is 7 with the right hand and 4 with the left. The last time I did non-stop pushups I managed 73 in a minute. I don't do a lot of pushups anymore though.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Just strengthen your two arms as said above, you should be careful to do it on a soft floor though, I had a friend attempt it once, he moved his hand to leave on on the ground, couldn't take his weight and smashed his face into the wooden floor ended up with stitches above his eye brow LOL

I know some guys who can do well over 50 pushups who can't do a one-handed pushup. The best way to do it is by practicing first on a high surface, say a set of stairs. Do your pushups that way to start, then go down a step every week or so. Eventually you'll be able to do them from the floor.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I can do 2 one-handed pushups with each arm (I couldn't do any until I started doing weighted diamond pushups a month ago).
    Last edited by Mission; 08-06-2006 at 03:01 PM.

I've only been lifting for five months and I've never had muscle before, but for some weird reason I could do 20 one arm push-ups easily when i was 13 years old. Now I can't do a single one.

I can do atleast 50 pushups, but I can't stabilizer myself. Weak asss lats.

I find it's as much about balance as it is the strength. I can do quite a few one-arm pushups but I think I get tired of balancing before my arms get fatigued.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

do a lot of regular pushups. over time you'll be able to do more one handed. thats how i feel about. I can do about 4 with my right hand. but i never practice doing them. only if somebody asks me how many I can do or something.. and I can only do about 40 pushups in a row... struggling

I can get up to 100 SOLID push ups if i really want to wipe myself.

I can't do a single 1 handed. The balance just isn't there.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

to train for them do lots of tricep and lat work - close grip push ups + chins are good bodyweight exercises for those muscles

didnt realise my numbers were even good till i read this..although im a little skeptical about my form, i had 1 foot out to the side a little to keep balance..saying that, i remember the world record was performed in exactly the same way

my best was 23 with my right an 17 with my left if i remember correctly

i also did 18 wrist hold chin ups with my left, an then 23 with my right a minute later..plus 35 one legged full squats (used a stool for extra depth, touching my heel on each rep) right leg, an 31 left leg...+ wrist hold chin up with 2 fingers on the bar for 2 reps, an 2 finger push ups for 10 reps..+ 1 finger chin ups for 8 reps - all done at a bodyweight of 190-200, although the last @ 255lbs

never really thought about it, ive done some decent stuff with bodyweight exercises..ive always liked them tho, you can do a lot with your own bodyweight..my old training partner did 100 push ups in a minute, an 40-50 handstand push ups (feet on a wall)

^thats crazy. when I was younger my goal in life was to baby to do 1 finger pushups easy. or I had saw a cartoon with a guy doing handstand pushups with two fingers which I don't know if that's possible. now that i'm older I rather be able to rep out 315 5 times instead. but the handstand pushups are still in the back of my mind.. i don't think i'll get that for a looooongg time though seeing as to how I can't do a regular handstand with two hands for more than 3 seconds without losing balance and falling