Thread: Half way through cutting - advice please

Hybrid View

Half way through cutting - advice please

Hello guys and girls of wbbf,

I posted here a long while ago now, I think it was around Febuary... I was about 14 stone back then and it took me until mid may to get off my ass and find a GYM and start Kick Boxing classes.

I think the main thing I should mention here is kick boxing has changed my life, I no longer play computer games and watch television all day... I spar with a friend, have a kick boxing back in the garden and train to get into the best shape I can for my classes when I want to do as well as possible.

To date I have lost 20 pounds, I now weigh 12 stone 4 pounds. My current aim is to cut to around 11 stone 7 and then begin properly weight lifting and working hard on getting my strength up. At the moment due to cutting it is all cardio and toning type things.

I am eating:
    Two Eggs for breakfast (I eat the yolks as well, any one disagree with this?)
    140g of Tuna for lunch in whole meal roll

I drink:
    Orange Juice 1/2 pint,
    2/3 litres of water a day,
    tea 1 cup a day,
    Milk 1/2 pint,

Things I have 100% Cut out include:
    White Bread - I did cut out ALL bread... but I got told I need at least some carbs through bread or rice... oops! Which is better to eat? Bread or rice by the way?
    Choclate and Sweets
    Crisps
    All Fizzy Drinks

As for my Routine:
    3 days per a week

Abs based:
    40 crunches - hold 2 and release
    40 sit ups - hands on chest
    40 sit ups - Each Shoulder to oposing knee

Arm based:
    20 - Diamond Press Ups
    20 - Wide Arm Press Ups
    20 - Arms right at side press ups
    20 - Planks
    20 - Inverted Planks

Leg based
    20 - Muay Thai Squats
    20 - Standard Squats
    20 - Star Jumps
    20 - Spin Jump
    20 - Tuck Jump

Cardio
    20 minutes running
    20 minutes cycling
    1000 metres rowing
    25 minutes throwing combos on the punch bag

1 hour kick boxing class
    2 days per week

10 minutes intense cardio - sprinting, inter-walking, jumping, you get the idea
    10 minutes conditioning - usually around 100 sit ups, 40 press ups, 40 squat
    10 minutes stretching - Stretching muscles in your legs and arms (you get the idea)
    15 minutes line work - Usually kicking, punching combinations or bag work
    15 minutes Sparring - (3 x 3 minute rounds) Full contact 50% power sparring

Basically I am looking to really push myself now I want to lose around 12 pounds in 8 weeks, and am wondering if any one can comment on my eating or training habbits that will help me cut down quicker or in a more healthy mannor.

I just really want to say thanks in advance an emphasise how much such an easy to do thing as exercising and kick boxing has changed my life for the better.
    Last edited by Reala; 08-06-2006 at 01:36 PM.

I should probably mention:

Height 5'10

Hi there

Props on the life changing events of your training and weight loss!

Now, what's up with your bodyweight training - do you have access to a gym?

What exactly is your diet right now (grams protein, carb, fat, total calories)?

Yes I have full access to a gym which has free weights, machines, cardio machines, pretty much every thing

Although I read somewhere that because I am cutting I should only be doing cardio, so stoped any weights I was doing and swapped them for running, rowing and cycling, was this correct?

To be honest my diet every day is:

Two Eggs for breakfast (I eat the yolks as well, any one disagree with this?)
    2 x 100 calories, 2 x 6g protein, 2 x 5g fat
    140g of Tuna for lunch in whole meal roll
    around 320 calories, 6 grams fat, protein I guess around 25?
    Stir fry or Fish and Boiled Potatoes or simular (nothing overly diet-ish) :P
    I guess my tea is usually around 600/700 calories
    At night I will have an apple

I drink:
    Orange Juice 1/2 pint, 200 calories
    2/3 litres of water a day, 0 calories
    tea 1 cup a day, 40 calories
    Milk 1/2 pint, 150 calories

Totaling:
    200 + 320 + 500 + 200 + 40 + 150 = 1500/1600 ish. I got told not to go below 1500 or I would store fat >.< I am trying to go along the lines that I used to eat like 2500-3000 a day easily... so dropping that by a lot and doing a lot of exercise will get decent results. I am just making sure that I go no lower than 1500 because right now I always feel energetic and awake, but I imagine much lower then that I will begin to feel drowsey...

Please correct me on my routine or diet if it is needed

I don't really keep track of carbs I must admit >.< But I try only to eat rice about twice a week, brown bread (usually about 2 slices daily in the form of a roll) and 2/3 potatoes probably 5 times a week with tea.

I don't really keep track of carbs I must admit >.< But I try only to eat rice about twice a week, brown bread (usually about 2 slices daily in the form of a roll) and 2/3 potatoes probably 5 times a week with tea.

Ditch the juice, and track on fitday for a week.

Post up your totals, drop me a PM and I'll come check.

I don't do any cardio at the beginning of a cut - just diet and very heavy lifting.

Wow... that confused me :O

I should be lifting heavy weights? I was thinking I have to do stupid amounts of cardio rather than weights. My head hurts lol.

Can you explain the theory behind this built?

Sure. Cardio burns muscle, and dieting convinces your body to drop muscle.

Heavy lifting on a cut convinces your body to risk manage the muscle - so you drop fat instead.

Did not know that... but seeing I do around 60-100 press ups and 100+ situps would that be a decent substitute, or should I get right back on weights?