Thread: The Carbohydrate Conundrum by Tony Gentilcore - Aug 2006

The Carbohydrate Conundrum by Tony Gentilcore - Aug 2006

Carbohydrates, what are they? What are the different types and are carbohydrates “needed” in the diet? How are they metabolized and most importantly, how can they be optimized to enhance performance and promote lean muscle gain? Good job Tony is on hand to give you the 101!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=270

Read & enjoy

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    Great Read!
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Tony Gentilcore
    Quote Originally Posted by gains2385
    Great Read!
    Thanks! Always nice to know that people enjoyed (and learned) something.

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Yes, it was a good article. I'm glad to see it also pointed out that ketosis and using fat for fuel is not a prelude to an alien invasion for the destruction of humanity. :evillaugh

For some of us, it's more likely that carbs are a plot from the Devil... those of us who are diabetic and insulin resistant. We actually do better on an ultra low carb diet, getting carbs from vegs instead of grains.

Every weekend I did my carb up as most people who do a ckd do, but it takes two days for the bloating, gassiness, and hungover feeling to go away. This weekend I skipped the carb up and I have none of those side effects. I've skipped carb ups before and I haven't noticed any ill effects on my lifting.

So, anyway, that's the other point of view.

Tony Gentilcore
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Yes, it was a good article. I'm glad to see it also pointed out that ketosis and using fat for fuel is not a prelude to an alien invasion for the destruction of humanity. :evillaugh

For some of us, it's more likely that carbs are a plot from the Devil... those of us who are diabetic and insulin resistant. We actually do better on an ultra low carb diet, getting carbs from vegs instead of grains.

Every weekend I did my carb up as most people who do a ckd do, but it takes two days for the bloating, gassiness, and hungover feeling to go away. This weekend I skipped the carb up and I have none of those side effects. I've skipped carb ups before and I haven't noticed any ill effects on my lifting.

So, anyway, that's the other point of view.
    Very solid point. I know I referred to it in my article, but I always find it odd that people feel they HAVE to have carbs in order to make progress and keep performance up. There is no doubt that carbs DO help with performance; but some people just don't handle them well, and as long as they are getting adequate calories elsewhere, it really won't affect much.

Glad to see that you have found what works best for you.

Tony,

What are some of the indicators that someone does not tolerate carbs very well in their diet?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Tony Gentilcore
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Tony,

What are some of the indicators that someone does not tolerate carbs very well in their diet?
    Overall "wellness".....how you feel basically. Just the other day I was reading something that Adam Campbell wrote (fitness editor of Men's Health) and he was stating that high blood pressure could be an indicator of someone who doesn't "tolerate" carbs well. He referred to Dr. Mary Vernon, who wrote Atkins Diabetes Revolution and she has quite a bit of evidence/research that shows that high(er) carb diets can lead to high blood pressure; even when patients were on medication for high blood pressure. Once they went to a ketogenic diet, their blood pressure would go down!

Also, people need to be aware that hyperglycemia (hyperinsulinemia) from diets high in carbs causes inflammation. Hence, why ALOT of people are develope food allergies and is something that Adam, Cassandra Forsythe, Mike Roussell and many others have been touting for quite some time now.

The best thing to do is to take away a specific food that you feel you may not "tolerate" that well and track bodily changes for 5-7 days: ie...physical changes, digestive changes, energy changes, etc. Re-introduce it and record again.

Outside of all that.....people who generally are prone to storing fat easily more than likely do not tolerate and/or "handle" carbs well. With that, using a modified approach would help. Possibly trying a TKD approach (targeted ketogenic diet) where carbs are ONLY taken post-training. There are a whole gamet of things that people can do. But the sad fact is, if you're "fat"....you probably don't need the extra carbs....(wink).

HOpe that helps

Banned
    Interesting read, Tony.

I can't say I agree with your Jessica Alba opinion, but I guess that's the nature of opinions. I'd say she's too skinny and also has too little character in her features to he 'hot'. PRETTY, certainly. But that's semantics and opinion.

What is your opinion of GI as a means for selecting carb sources? Personally I've found value in choosing low-GI carb sources to enable me to enjoy balanced meals and satiety feelings even while limiting dietary carbs.

For instance, sprouted-grain breads (i.e. Ezekiel Bread) don't even kick me out of keto.

Cheers,
    Relentless

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    Outside of all that.....people who generally are prone to storing fat easily more than likely do not tolerate and/or "handle" carbs well. With that, using a modified approach would help. Possibly trying a TKD approach (targeted ketogenic diet) where carbs are ONLY taken post-training. There are a whole gamet of things that people can do. But the sad fact is, if you're "fat"....you probably don't need the extra carbs....(wink).
    Important caveat - if you decide to do a TKD, stock up on the breath mints. Ketosis makes for stinky breath.

Considering this isn't an essential macronutrient, it's remarkable what an ergogenic aid this tasty stuff is. As someone who has had considerable trouble figuring out how to get the most bang with the least aggravation from carbohydrates, I'm always eager to read more on the topic.

Coincidentally, my next column (which had already been submitted when your article was posted) discusses some of the practical aspects of carbohydrate consumption, so your technical article provides very welcome background (and a nice segue) for it.

Nice work as always, Tony.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Thanks for your time, VERY good read. I enjoyed the bits of humor as it kept the article as a whole from reading like a textbook.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Tony Gentilcore
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless
    Interesting read, Tony.

I can't say I agree with your Jessica Alba opinion, but I guess that's the nature of opinions. I'd say she's too skinny and also has too little character in her features to he 'hot'. PRETTY, certainly. But that's semantics and opinion.

What is your opinion of GI as a means for selecting carb sources? Personally I've found value in choosing low-GI carb sources to enable me to enjoy balanced meals and satiety feelings even while limiting dietary carbs.

For instance, sprouted-grain breads (i.e. Ezekiel Bread) don't even kick me out of keto.

Cheers,
    Relentless

GI isn't all that "efficient" and is often misleading actually. GI is used to rate carbohydrates by examining the blood-glucose response to 50 grams of DIGESTIBLE carbohydrates. A study that I got from Lyle McDonald took the example of carrots. Carrots are considered "very high" on the GI scale and hence people are scared to eat them at times. However, how many people would sit there are eat 50 grams worth of DIGESTIBLE carbs from carrots in one sitting?

Also, GI can be hugely affected by packaging, preparation and just food mixing in general. Protein and fat taken with carbs slows gastric emptying and hence, would lower the GI of a specific carb.

At it's simplest form, GI CAN be helpful for many people, but it's not perfect.

Glycemic LOAD is growing in popularity:

Some researchers have proposed a measure called the glycemic load (GL) which is the total amount of digestible carbohydrate multiplied by the GI. This at least recognizes that, in the real world, carbohydrate intake varies. GL can be lowered by either picking lower GI foods or by eating less total carbohydrate, or some combination of the two.
    Does that make sense?

Tony Gentilcore
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Considering this isn't an essential macronutrient, it's remarkable what an ergogenic aid this tasty stuff is. As someone who has had considerable trouble figuring out how to get the most bang with the least aggravation from carbohydrates, I'm always eager to read more on the topic.

Coincidentally, my next column (which had already been submitted when your article was posted) discusses some of the practical aspects of carbohydrate consumption, so your technical article provides very welcome background (and a nice segue) for it.

Nice work as always, Tony.
    Totally agree. That is why I feel that people shouldn't be too far to the left or too far to the right when it comes to carbs. There is a "healthy" balance, and if one is cognizant of when the right TIMES to take carbs is, it can only help.

Glad you found the article useful Built. Coming from you, that is a huge compliment!

1. Jessica Alba is smoking hot.

2. Her boyfriend is a lucky son-of-a-bitch.

3. The majority of people are completely confused when it comes to the topic of carbohydrates.

bwahahahahaha too funny

Wannabebig New Member
    Well Daniel Clough, Carbohydrates can be termed as a special class of organic compounds which includes starches, celluloses,gums etc. Carbohydrates acts as main source of energy for human beings.Carbohydrates can be mainly classified under four heads namely monosaccharides, disaccharides, oligosaccharides & polysaccharides.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 02-07-2007 at 08:23 AM.

Great read...

one question though, if i weigh 175lbs, thats equal to about 79kg, so i then multiply that by 5 or 6 to get my daily carboydrate intake?

i come out with 397g...is it just me or is that insanely high?
    Last edited by Brotherofiron; 02-07-2007 at 11:32 AM.
    CLEAN BULKIN' LIKE A VULKIN'!!

18 years old
    180lbs

Bench--300lbs (as of 2/23/07)
    Deads--415lbs (as of 2/20/07)

In my opinion, the main problem with low carb diets is that they're not low carb enough. The body is always on the verge of being really keto-adapted, burning ketones efficiently rather than spilling them in the breathe/urine (I don't know the specifics of all this), and you keep maintaining the "sweet tooth". Very often, I'm multiple days without eating a single gram of carbs. When I used to follow a low-carb approach, I would eat a lot of non-starchy veggies with a tiny occasional amount of fruit; sometimes this lead me to have irresistible carb cravings. I feel so much better on an extremely low carb diet, my mind is sharper, I don't lack endurance/strength in the gym, etc.

I haven't successfully bulked on such a diet, although right now what is limiting me is my digestive strength (and no, fibers are NOT necessary unless you eat carbs).

Those doing carb-ups on week-end, you could consider doing "fat-ups" instead. Intramuscular triglycerides is a largely ignored topic, albeit the fact that it has similar benefits to carbing up.

Delaying teh inevitable essentialherb08's Avatar
    Good F'n read. This confirmed what I looked up. You can still make glucose for your muskles from protein & fat through 'gluconeogenesis' and even make great muscle and strength gains while in ketosis providing that you are not in a calorie deficit.
    Plus low insulin levels raise your HGH levels too correct?
    Your test will become your testament
    Your mess will become your message
    I rock the Hemp Oil each and every day
    19yrs 5'10ish around 160 lbs in June 180 as of Sept.

An autistic stoned avengers vendetta against culture induced nutrition deficiencies

Acts 5:39"But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

Wannabebig Member
    Good article

Wannabebig Member
    Does anyone still have this article? It seems that the article was hosted on the old server and didn't get moved over when the site was upgraded. Thanks in advance.
    5'8" 165 lbs Lifting since Jan '09