The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Cutting diet for Construction worker...

I'm looking to loose ~5lbs in a month time frame. I'm 30y male, 165lbs and 5'8". I'm worried about keeping as much muscle as possible while cutting as I work construction doing interlock and concrete work. A lot of shoveling, wheel barrowing, lifting and moving patio stones etc. I pretty much sweat for the better part of 6hrs a day out of an 8hr work day.

I workout 3 times a week, weights only, no cardio. What should I be eating to maintain my muscle growth and give me decent energy for work?

Can I maintain a low carb diet with my work schedule? I take about three set breaks throughout the day, but do have time to quickly down a protein shake whenever I want.

Here's what I've been eating;
    6am - Protein shake with milk, small whole wheat english muffin with natural peanut butter.

930 - Protein shake with water, some crackers and/or banana

Noon - Two turkey or roast beef sandwiches with mustard and a slice of low fat cheese on whole wheat bread.

3pm - Protien shake and Nutrigrain bar

Dinner - Skinless chicken breast and green veggies, either salad or asparagus etc.

Another shake before bed.

Am I getting enough protein in my diet? What about the right fats? Enough carbs, or too many?

Thanks!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You aren't eating enough. You should be losing weight on that diet, and I mean muscle and fat.

You're going to be burning a substantial amount of calories during your workday, obviously a lot more than someone sitting at a desk all day.

Someone on here should be able to chime in and tell you roughly how many calories you're going to burning each day. There was a website somewhere that had an estimate of calories burned each day in different careers, it was pretty cool. I don't have that link though.

You should be strong as an ox though! haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    That's what I'm afraid of, losing too much muscle.
    Should I increase my protein intake? I take approx 180g of protein a day based on my current diet above.
    Increase fat and carbs as well? What types of fat and carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post

Someone on here should be able to chime in and tell you roughly how many calories you're going to burning each day. There was a website somewhere that had an estimate of calories burned each day in different careers, it was pretty cool. I don't have that link though.
    And they're all worthless pieces of ****. I don't know how many times it's been said but it isn't even possible to ballpark how many calories are burned through physical activity.

OP: I have no idea what your diet is like. Put all that stuff into FitDay and report your macros. This bit of advice needs to go in the sticky.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Weight Loss

For what its worth, I am in a similar place to you now and also working on my diet. The difference I experience between weight loss with just a little cardio and none is major.

There is really no excuse not to do it either. I am just on my way out the door to do 10 sets of 30 meters car pushing. I just put my car in neutral and bang it down the street as fast as a I can, back and forth for 10 reps. No travel. No gym. And it works my metabolism up, big time.

-K.

Wannabebig Member
    Here's what I eat on a typical work day, Monday to Friday.

Please cirtique based on my requirements above.
    Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is hard to tell, with just a list of foods without the macros. How many grams of protein, carbs and fat in the shake you are using.
    I like to see more whole foods, in a cutting diet and less shakes but if because of life that is they only way you can get the protein in you then so be it.

So to answer your question, we can't unless we see the macro breakdown of the foods.

I also do not think there are enough good fats in there and the carb sources need to be cleaned up. Think: Oats, Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Ezkiel Bread for clean carbs

Also more variety in your protein sources: Eggs, Egg Whites, Turkey, Chicken, White Fish, Lean, lean beef such a ground beef, 93% or flank steak. Shrimp.

If you are truly wanting to lean out a bit.
    If you show me the macro break down, I will help from there.

MissAbs
    Last edited by MissAbs; 06-29-2009 at 03:36 AM.
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by MissAbs View Post
    It is hard to tell, with just a list of foods without the macros. How many grams of protein, carbs and fat in the shake you are using.
    I like to see more whole foods, in a cutting diet and less shakes but if because of life that is they only way you can get the protein in you then so be it.

So to answer your question, we can't unless we see the macro breakdown of the foods.

I also do not think there are enough good fats in there and the carb sources need to be cleaned up. Think: Oats, Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Ezkiel Bread for clean carbs

Also more variety in your protein sources: Eggs, Egg Whites, Turkey, Chicken, White Fish, Lean, lean beef such a ground beef, 93% or flank steak. Shrimp.

If you are truly wanting to lean out a bit.
    If you show me the macro break down, I will help from there.

MissAbs
    His post immediately above yours had a Fitday screen shot.

Smoothie, I'd suggest having oatmeal instead of the English muffin in the morning. Mix a protein powder in with plain rolled oats. Get some brown rice, quinoa, or whole wheat semolina couscous in at dinner. Ditch one of the shakes and that Nutrigrain bar.

I wouldn't really advise a low carb situation for you since you're very active and your energy levels would tank. You can get away with a lot less protein at your size (200g should be plenty) to make room for other things. If you're lifting in short but heavy and intense sessions, you'll maintain muscle mass pretty well on top of all the physical labor.

Are you breaking your meals up like that for convenience? Unless it's more comfortable for you to do it that way, it is 100% unnecessary to eat every couple hours. The benefits of doing so are mythological despite what anyone will tell you.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Low carb is the bane of physical laborers. The ONLY benefit of reducing carbs is controlling hunger. Due to the calories you burn at work, it should allow you to eat enough to be fairly satiated without the complication of reducing carbs.

In the summer of '03 I was consulting with a LOT of roofers and bricklayer types. I had them take in a typical post workout shake as soon as they were done working. It kept the hunger in check and kept the lifting sessions productive.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------