The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

to increase vertical leap

anyone can give me some good weight lifting excersises to increase vertical leap? i have a very basic gym, so dont gimme some with weird machines.

and are there any excersises that targer the calf muscle?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by +3kk!

and are there any excersises that targer the calf muscle?
    Calf raises?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

To improve vertical leap my guess would be to actually practice leaping, but squats and olympic lifts will definately help some too. To target the calf muscle do calf raises.
    Last edited by bjohnso; 08-07-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Well first off, most of your jumping ablility is comming from your quads, not calves (although they'll need to be worked out too).
    Second, tell us what equipment you have access to, and we'll go from there.

Basically with weights the best thing for jumping would be squats, power cleans, and some weighted calf raises. But to reach your full jumping potential you'll need to add plyometrics.
    This page will give you about all the information you need on plyometrics:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

O-lifts and some basic plyometrics.

box squats. big ups start with the hips.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

i've found one legged squat to be very helpful for me to increase my jump.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
    Well first off, most of your jumping ablility is comming from your quads, not calves (although they'll need to be worked out too).
    Second, tell us what equipment you have access to, and we'll go from there.

Basically with weights the best thing for jumping would be squats, power cleans, and some weighted calf raises. But to reach your full jumping potential you'll need to add plyometrics.
    This page will give you about all the information you need on plyometrics:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html
    i got the equipment for squats, dead lifts, multiple dumbells, and a hamstring targeting machine (i dont know whats it called). the others are for upper body strength, like shoulder press, precher curl machines.

i dont plan to do plyometrics just yet, as my strength needs a lot of improving.

i want to train the calf is because i want to increase explosiveness. since squats can make up for other portions of the leg and i can target my hamstrings, calfs are the only ones left out.

currently i am doing ATG squats, 50 kgs only (my power is very weak) and hamstring lifts. because those 2 are aready taxing, i dont plan to add deadlifts untill they stop giving me sores for like 2 -3 days

oh ya, i am a beginner at weight lifting, so my body is not tuned to it yet. i try my best to make my muscles work, but i doubt i can do a huge work out program.

i've heard that squats are the BEST way to increase vert? issit true?
    Last edited by +3kk!; 08-08-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Here is a Parkour workout invented by a fitness coach for pro basketball players called Air Alert III.

http://p202.ezboard.com/furbanfreefl...opicID=5.topic

The article says when the training is complete, your standing jump can be improved by anything up to 18 inches. Enjoy! =)

-Steele

squats, deadlifts, squats, and more squats. vertical leap is primarily a quad movement but the whole jumping movement is also aided by core strength so you may want to work on your back and abdominal exercises. calves have a small part in it so don't focus on them too much. maybe 3 sets of calf raises on your leg day. some other exercises that wil help you out are
    DB lunges
    leg press

if you want to improve your vertical leap the most you may want to focus more on bodyweight exercises than weights. those help you out a lot more
    things such as
    Squat hops
    1 leg calf raises
    thrust ups
    burn outs
    and running short springs (20-50 yards) also helps
    also get involved in an activity in which you will jump a lot, i.e. play basketball twice a week. but you probably already do that.

you can also see if you can find a leak for some of the jump programs that companies offer. Air Alert is a good one. I have friends that used the jumpsoles program so you can check that out if you have money to spend

What we would do for our vertical training for basketball, Do squats, calf raises and steps.

Steps: Grab say 25lbs or 30, get a flat bench or some of the boxes step up stand straight, raise your knee to hip level, step down, switch leg.

Found that one helped my vert alot.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Here is a Parkour workout invented by a fitness coach for pro basketball players called Air Alert III.

http://p202.ezboard.com/furbanfreefl...opicID=5.topic

The article says when the training is complete, your standing jump can be improved by anything up to 18 inches. Enjoy! =)

-Steele
    i know about AA3 i got the program, but a lot of people claim that it screws up your knees.

^i've done it multiple times. never finished it sadly because of lack of effort. but if you follow the directions it won't mess you up.

and a lot of people just say that because they heard others say it. or they read an article about it. 75% of the people that say that don't know what they're talking about. if they knew.. instead of saying don't do that program it can mess up your knees, they would say don't do that program I don't recommend it because it messed up MY knees.
    you never know until you try something
    Last edited by dblockspky; 08-10-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Depth Jumps.

Don't get p*ssed at me if 3 months from now, you chip a tooth on the rim.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders