Thread: Olympic Sprinters and lbm/bf ratio...

Hybrid View

I was thinking that olympic sprinter's carry a lot of muslce, with a very low bodyfat, which is obviously necessary to run as fast as they do. So I'm thinking, why am I, and others doing these 30+ minutes of boring cardio to lose body fat? (f.y.i, I don't take it easy on the bike, but I'm looking for a better way).
    Maybe I should do short times of intense cardio,(sprints, high intensity on the bike, etc). How would I determine a training length? 10 minutes hard on the bike, etc?
    Does anyone have any insight on how sprinter's train to keep their high muscle/low bodyfat level?

Raildog
    If you can't knock out a dozen or so chins, your either too fat or too weak, take your pick...

Originally posted by Raildog
    I was thinking that olympic sprinter's carry a lot of muslce, with a very low bodyfat, which is obviously necessary to run as fast as they do. So I'm thinking, why am I, and others doing these 30+ minutes of boring cardio to lose body fat? (f.y.i, I don't take it easy on the bike, but I'm looking for a better way).
    Maybe I should do short times of intense cardio,(sprints, high intensity on the bike, etc). How would I determine a training length? 10 minutes hard on the bike, etc?
    Does anyone have any insight on how sprinter's train to keep their high muscle/low bodyfat level?

Raildog
    Congratulations-- you just hit on a concept that has only recently started to become popular in the mainstream.

Its called "interval training," and basically all you have to do is alternate periods of high-intensity effort with periods of lower-intensity work.

Basic protocol should be as follows:

1. Heart rate should be at around 130 bpm before starting intervals. This means either a short warm-up, or as I do it, let the weights warm me up.

2. Start out with a light interval, say 15/45 (15 seconds high-intensity, 45 seconds low intensity), for about 4 mintues total work time (not counting warm-up and cooldown).

Now, when I say high-intensity, I mean *high intensity*; you've got to run like you've got sausage in your pocket and a rabid grizzly is behind you. That's why I don't recommend this method to those without at a rather good foundation of cardiovascular fitness; its NOT for the beginner.

If you've got some manner of fitness, try doing it for 4-5 minutes; if you're well conditioned, go a bit longer. Either way, if you do this right, you won't need more than 10-15 minutes of total work time.

Additionally, this form of training is what's called "anaerobic threshold training," which means you operate at the metabolic borderline between the normal aerobic respiration process and glycolysis; because of this rather unique situation, you burn more muscle glycogen while doing this training. However, the total amount of triglycerides (stored fat) metabolized is actually greater than in a longer, low-intensity endurance oriented session. For a final bit of trivia, the fact that you aren't spending so much time in the aerobic zone means that you aren't catabolizing nearly as much muscle, thus explaining the muscularity of sprinters. In fact, hard sprinting has actually been shown to stimulate hypertrophy.

For all these reasons, I seriously recommend interval training for anyone concerned with losing fat. Now, if you're simply training for general cardiovascular fitness, this may not be for you. But if you want to lose fat and keep muscle, this is the way to go.

All the best,

PowerMan DL

Wannabebig Member
    Basically you sprint for 15-60 seconds followed by a light jog for the same amount of time. No rest in between. Do this for a total of 4-6 minutes, then increase the total time so you're doing 15-20 within a 12 week period.

This is a killer. I find I can sprint the first 3 or 4, but after that...my sprints become a run-to-fast-jog.
    Lift To Live

Okay, this is going to sound a bit strange, but when sprinters/runners talk about there speed, they mention a length and how long it takes them ... there's a common one, and all i can think of is the number 4 ... quarter mile in 40 seconds???

I was thinking of doing sprints this summer, and wanted an idea of what a "respectable" sprint would be. Not olympic winning stuff, just respectable ... any ideas about what I'm talking about?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

No L, you talk poo so much i'd be suprised if anyone ever knows what you are talking about....
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

MACHINE
    I started doing sprints last week. Walking on the treadmill once or twice a week was great for burning fat, but it wasn't helping me get in "running" shape - I realized this when playing a pick-up game of basketball. After only a couple times up and down the court, I was useless. There is an indoor rectangular track in my college's gymnasium that works perfectly - I walk the short sides(50 yards) and then sprint the long sides(100 yards).

Anthony - I'm not familiar with 1/4 mile times or any other lengthy sprints, but one very common distance is the 40 yard dash. Depending on your physical make-up, anything under 5.0 seconds is respectable. 4.2 seconds is olympic sprinter pace. I ran a 4.6 second 40 yard dash in football preseason workouts, which was a very good time for my height & weight at the time.(5'10", 220lbs)
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Gino, thanks, that's exactly what it was ... the 4's stuck in my head, but I couldn't think what it was.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
    No L, you talk poo so much i'd be suprised if anyone ever knows what you are talking about....

(wipes tear from eye) Holy Lord that was funny...........

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, interval training. I think I'm going to try 5 minutes of this today on the nordic track. I hope she doesnt come apart on me.

I'm talking 20 seconds of high intensity, 40 seconds low. Lets hope we can do this (me and the nordic track).