The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so weak.

Banned

I'm so weak.

I never realized how weak I am until I started lifting. I'm having trouble benching 90 pounds. No joke. Like 4 reps and I'm pooped. My dealifts are only 170 pounds. I maybe could have gone a little higher for deads, but I was worried I didn't have proper form. Very sad regardless.

Will I move up in weight quickly or is it a slow process working your way up to a higher weight? I'd seriously be embarrased to lift in a public gym.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Just give it time. Lift heavy within the required rep ranges, eat a lot, sleep well, and stay dedicated. Never sacrifice form for heavier weight. The weight will go up over time.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

If you are working hard people in the gym don't give a **** about what you can lift. Go to a gym, lift consistantly, you will see newbie gains.

Quote Originally Posted by wdjuqi
    Will I move up in weight quickly or is it a slow process working your way up to a higher weight? I'd seriously be embarrased to lift in a public gym.
    this was the very reason I didn't lift much my freshman and sophmore year of college. Once I got over the fear and realized that nobody else there cares about anything except themselves, I was fine. Strength will come in time. Just keep at it!
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Every single time I go to the gym I see people benching the same as that or less. No one cares. I've yet to see anyone making fun of someone for not lifting a ton of weight. We were all there once, after all. Not too many people can walk into a gym for the first time and put up monster weights.

If you're dedicated and you eat properly and get enough rest, your lifts will progress a lot at first. Don't put off going to a public gym because you don't feel like you're adequate right now, because whether you're benching 315 or 85 no one will take much notice.

Ask one of your friends with about equal strength as you and become gym buddies. I guarentee one of your friends who's doesn't lift wishes they did but were too embarassed to go by themselves.

You guys can keep one another honest in your workouts and can progress together.

My dead was only 120 pounds but I pulled 355 for a clean rep today and it's only been a year. Your numbers will increase before you know it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Banned
    people look at you for being able to lift a ton, not for only lifting 90 lbs.

suprisingly, no one asked this yet. How tall are you//whats your weight?

You know, if your like 5'6 111 pounds your not gona do much.

i changed the title of this thread.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I never realized how weak I am until I started lifting. I'm having trouble benching 90 pounds. No joke. Like 4 reps and I'm pooped. My dealifts are only 170 pounds. I maybe could have gone a little higher for deads, but I was worried I didn't have proper form. Very sad regardless.

Don't worry about it. I started the same as you when I was younger, but I kept at it. Just stay with it and don't give up.
    Last edited by Iron Bull; 08-09-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'd seriously be embarrased to lift in a public gym.
    Like you I am a wimp. I just started going to the gym regularly. My bench is now 'up to' 120x8. About three weeks ago I had a hard time putting up 90x8.

I was worried about my deadlift form as well so I asked a couple of the 'tough guys' to watch me. They corrected a few things, so now I am ready to start lifting actual weight doing those. I was only doing 90+bar before because I was scared like you.

I go to a public gym. Yes there are a few jerks around, but most of the people there are just doing their thing and don't pay attention to anyone else. Even the 'jerks' aren't going to say anything, so don't sweat it.

everyone starts somewhere
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Props

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth
    Like you I am a wimp. I just started going to the gym regularly. My bench is now 'up to' 120x8. About three weeks ago I had a hard time putting up 90x8.
    Woah man major props to that! I can't seem to increase my weight for squat on bench atm 30 lbs in three weeks! that's crazy good!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    When I first started going to the gym I could do no more than the bar (yes 45 lbs, dont laugh) on the big three lifts. Now I can DL 300+, squat 220+ and bench 180+. Not good lifts by any means but when you compare them to where I started you see how far a newbie can progress in a relatively short period of time.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv
    Woah man major props to that! I can't seem to increase my weight for squat on bench atm 30 lbs in three weeks! that's crazy good!
    Thanks man. Just following the WBB1 program, and it seems to be working out well for me.

As said. We all start somehwere. Anyone that laughs at you for what you're lifting isn't really there to workout. **** em. Ignore them. they don't know ****.

Keep working at it, make sure you eat enough, and you'll get where you want to be.

Going to a public gym, I think, is the way to go. You have motivation all around you. I have seen my best gains since going public. My freshman year of HS I could bench 95lbs, now I am close to 3 plates each side. You can observe others at the gym for some ideas to put into your routine. Eat, sleep, eat some more and lift correctly and you will suprise the hell out of yourself.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

when you go to the gym, leave your ego at home, you are there to train...that goes for you and anyone who would even consider poking fun at you......mind you, those guys are probably all PUSHING HUUUGE WEIGHT!!!!! at a 3 inch ROM.......so you can laugh at them too

good luck with your progress man
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

Never be embarassed. You're making an effort, that's a lot more than a lot of people can say. Eat a lot, keep lifting hard and get lots of rest. You will acheive your goals if you just stick with it.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv
    Yeah, noob gains are great aren't they? lol

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Don't worry and give it time. Once your CNS and muscles start adapting you should see some quick gains in size and strength. Eventually they will slow down, but as long as you keep training, eating and getting adequate rest, you should be able to keep making gains (even if slowly) for a long time. Everybody has to begin somewhere. Most of us probably started around where you are. Remember though, the best routine in the world will not give good gains unless you are getting plenty of food and rest.

Most of all be patient and don't compare yourself to more advanced people. As long as YOU are progressing (one more set/rep or five more pounds even if only per month) that's all that matters. Sometimes you are going to have workouts where you did less weight than the week before or less reps. That's natural. We all have bad workouts.

However should these "bad" workouts continue, check your rest and diet. Take a week or two off. Usually that does the trick.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-09-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Stick
    You're not alone. That's all I can bench at the moment too.

Wannabebig New Member

man everybody has to start somewhere....just work your arse of in the gym.concintrate on what your doing and dont worry about anybody else in there. be regular and your strengh will come.eat plenty and make sure you get atleast 8hours sleep. before long you wont recognize yourslef in front of the mirroi
    everybody wants to be big, no one wants to lift no heavy ass weights

eat! sleep! train!

and you WILL see your body and confidence grow
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"