Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: As long as I hit my Macros do Calories matter?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Cutting..... and Hungry dav619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69

    As long as I hit my Macros do Calories matter?

    Hi guys,
    Basically as the title suggests, as long as I hit my macros does the amount of calories I have matter.??...

    I'm hitting 1.5 of protein and 0.5 of healthy fats, the only thing is I need to do a cut quickly.

    I'm going to Australia in 2.5 months and I'm more interested in not looking like a whale on the beach. Therfore if I reduce the calories to the minimum whilst keeping my macros up, will this still give me a chance of retaining some muscle for when i hit the beach?

    I'm not expecting to gain muscle, simply hang on to as much as possible whilst shifting around 20 pounds.

    Thanks guys,
    Dave

  2. #2
    Former Fatass Unreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    Posts
    3,084
    Yes. The calorie is king. He determines just about everything.
    Nick V

  3. #3
    Cutting..... and Hungry dav619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69
    I know that calories are vastly important, my question is, to lose alot of weight in a fairly short amount of time, is it best to still hit my macros in the smallest amount of calories?

    I've heard that if you starve yourself of calories too much your body adapts to the amount your on. Is this true?

    Thanks,
    Dave

  4. #4
    Cutting..... and Hungry dav619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69
    I know that calories are vastly important, my question is, to lose alot of weight in a fairly short amount of time, is it best to still hit my macros in the smallest amount of calories?

    I've heard that if you starve yourself of calories too much your body adapts to the amount your on. Is this true?

    Thanks,
    Dave

  5. #5
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by dav619
    I know that calories are vastly important, my question is, to lose alot of weight in a fairly short amount of time, is it best to still hit my macros in the smallest amount of calories?
    Sure if you want to lose weight (Fat and Muscle) and be generally unhealthy.

  6. #6
    Squatting in the Curl Rack
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dark Swamp, Mississippi
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by dav619
    I know that calories are vastly important, my question is, to lose alot of weight in a fairly short amount of time, is it best to still hit my macros in the smallest amount of calories?

    I've heard that if you starve yourself of calories too much your body adapts to the amount your on. Is this true?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Sort of. With extremely reduced calories, metabolism slows down. A good approximate rule of thumb is to not take calories below 10 * bodyweight, and I like to keep at least 100 grams carbs as well, because I (like most people) feel like crap on fewer carbs. OTOH, some people, especailly as they get leaner, find they have to take calories (and carbs) even lower to lose weight.

    When you talk about hitting your macros (protein and fat) with the least calories, you're really talking about a low carb diet. Let's take a 200 pound person at 15% BF for an example:

    lbm = 200 - (200*.15) = 170

    protein = 170 * 1.5 = 255 grams = 1020 calories
    fat = .5 * 170 = 85 grams = 765 calories
    subtotal ( p + f) = 1785

    subtotal + (100 grams carbs = 400 cals) = 2185 = 10.92 cals/pound of bodyweight. I think that's a reasonable minimum. Add another 50 or so grams of carbs on workout days.

    Quote Originally Posted by dav619
    Thanks for the replies!

    I had considered the SPMF diet - does anyone know more about this without having to buy the book?

    I have done a search but I'm struggling to find any threads that lay it out in laymans terms, ie how much carbs can you take in?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    I'd recommend against doing a PSMF, especially if you're not willing to buy the book.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidfatlosshandbook available at [url
    http://rapidfatloss.lylemcdonald.com/[/url]]I want to make the point again (since my critics tend to be a little slow on the uptake) that, in almost all of the situations I’m going to describe, my ideal is that individuals take the sane and slow approach to fat loss, set up a reasonable diet, lose weight/fat over an extended period until they reach
    their goals.

    But to answer your question: zero carbs, and close to zero fat.
    Last edited by JustLost; 08-09-2006 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #7
    !!Deadlifting!! Y0yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over there
    Posts
    0
    If you're looking to lose weight quickly try PSMF diet.
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

  8. #8
    Cutting..... and Hungry dav619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69
    Thanks for the replies!

    I had considered the SPMF diet - does anyone know more about this without having to buy the book?

    I have done a search but I'm struggling to find any threads that lay it out in laymans terms, ie how much carbs can you take in?

    Thanks,
    Dave

  9. #9
    Banned Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    597
    Make sure your body knows it isn't starving, lift heavy and stick to your macros. Some people say that 1500 is the minimum you should be consuming per day to limit muscle loss whilst keeping fat loss high. Might wanna stick some HIIT in there 2/3 times a week

    If you are looking for that extra bit of definition, cut caffiene and minimise sugar on your diet a month before the holiday, as in keep it really low, substituting it with better carbs. Both these have diuretic effects; they increase water retention. And as we all know, fat cells are 50% water! Not a long term solution of course, but it will help (;

    -Steele
    Last edited by Steele; 08-11-2006 at 10:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Make sure your body knows it isn't starving, lift heavy and stick to your macros. Some people say that 1500 is the minimum you should be consuming per day to limit muscle loss whilst keeping fat loss high.
    Careful with blanket calorie considerations Steele - this varies tremendously from person to person, and especially between sexes - I know some very tiny little women who maintain on 1400-1500 a day, and they're very well fed on this. All 4'10" of them.

    You really have to go by the individual. You can use online calculators as rough guides, but ultimately, if you don't track your calories, you simply do NOT know what YOUR body needs.

  11. #11
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by dav619
    Hi guys,
    Basically as the title suggests, as long as I hit my macros does the amount of calories I have matter.??...

    I'm hitting 1.5 of protein and 0.5 of healthy fats, the only thing is I need to do a cut quickly.

    I'm going to Australia in 2.5 months and I'm more interested in not looking like a whale on the beach. Therfore if I reduce the calories to the minimum whilst keeping my macros up, will this still give me a chance of retaining some muscle for when i hit the beach?

    I'm not expecting to gain muscle, simply hang on to as much as possible whilst shifting around 20 pounds.

    Thanks guys,
    Dave
    Don't crash diet when you don't need too. You are not obese and you are not trying to lose that last bit of BF. Just go on a nice healthy cal deficit diet making sure you are getting a steady loss, you will be rewarded in the end while also keeping your sanity.
    Also stay away from people who state things such as
    Some people say that 1500 is the minimum you should be consuming per day to limit muscle loss whilst keeping fat loss high.
    that is an insane assumption.

  12. #12
    Banned Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    597
    I never advised him on kcal intake, nor did i *assume* anything. Get your facts straight. Also, if he were to completely misintepret my post as you did, he would assuredly note the word 'minimum'.

    'Minimum', cf:
    the smallest possible quantity

    -Steele

    Quote Originally Posted by seK
    That is an insane assumption.

  13. #13
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    I never advised him on kcal intake, nor did i *assume* anything. Get your facts straight. Also, if he were to completely misintepret my post as you did, he would assuredly note the word 'minimum'.

    'Minimum', cf:
    the smallest possible quantity

    -Steele
    Your post clearly stated the assumption that the OP could maintain muscle mass and lose fat while only consuming 1500 cal's daily. That is an assumption and an insane one at that. You canít make that kind of statement without knowing anything about him.

  14. #14
    Banned Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    597
    Wrong once again.

    Make sure your body knows it isn't starving, lift heavy and stick to your macros.
    Sound advice, ask anyone. You may wish to re-read the first sentence of that post, twould appear to be something you have missed.

    Some people say that 1500 is the minimum you should be consuming per day to limit muscle loss whilst keeping fat loss high.
    'Some people say'; alluding to a collective of individual known or unknown sources that have passed judgement on a similar topic. There is no implication of my referencing him to adhere to this guideline, the 1500kcal figure is given with an eye to safety.

    Quote Originally Posted by seK
    Your post clearly stated the assumption that the OP could maintain muscle mass and lose fat while only consuming 1500 cal's daily.
    This takes my post completely out of context, stating it was an 'assumption' and carried implications it was mine, both of which are incorrect.

    That is an assumption and an insane one at that
    Another fallacy. It was not an assumption,; this is irrefutable.

    You canít make that kind of statement without knowing anything about him.
    First an assumption, and then a statement? Interesting.

    -Steele

  15. #15
    Squatting in the Curl Rack
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dark Swamp, Mississippi
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by seK
    Your post clearly stated the assumption that the OP could maintain muscle mass and lose fat while only consuming 1500 cal's daily. That is an assumption and an insane one at that. You canít make that kind of statement without knowing anything about him.
    And more to the point, ANY number given as an absolute with no reference to BW/LBM is just plain silly.

  16. #16
    Banned Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    597
    Without wanting to alienate myself from other members of these boards, please read the above response.

    -Steele

    Quote Originally Posted by JustLost
    And more to the point, ANY number given as an absolute with no reference to BW/LBM is just plain silly.

  17. #17
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Yes Steel it is irrefutable that he can sustain mass and lose fat while taking a minimum of 1500 cal's a day.
    Also you cannot state an assumption.



    I apologize to the OP for letting this thread get out of hand.
    JustLost gave some accurate advice I would start your research from there.

  18. #18
    !!Deadlifting!! Y0yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over there
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by seK
    Don't crash diet when you don't need too. You are not obese and you are not trying to lose that last bit of BF. Just go on a nice healthy cal deficit diet making sure you are getting a steady loss, you will be rewarded in the end while also keeping your sanity.
    Also stay away from people who state things such as that is an insane assumption.
    The PSMF is a good way to kick start a diet. He's looking for something to get him ready in 2.5 months. Why not PSMF to kick start the diet and then head to Oz?
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

  19. #19
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    The PSMF is a good way to kick start a diet. He's looking for something to get him ready in 2.5 months. Why not PSMF to kick start the diet and then head to Oz?
    For his goal it isn't worth the loss in training effectiveness. When you go on PSMF you drastically lower your training intensity.

  20. #20
    !!Deadlifting!! Y0yo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over there
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by seK
    For his goal it isn't worth the loss in training effectiveness. When you go on PSMF you drastically lower your training intensity.
    So he's wanting to look as good as possible in 2.5 months. That's a pretty short time to either lower you body fat or put on some LBM. I don't see how PSMF'ing wouldn't be better. You maintain the muscle you have, lower your workouts, and lose the fat = looks better. If he wants to put on muslce, ang get huge, he's not gonna do it in 2.5 months so he can then pick and choose what works best for him.

    Trying to look your best in 2.5 months = PSMF...no?
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

  21. #21
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    So he's wanting to look as good as possible in 2.5 months. That's a pretty short time to either lower you body fat or put on some LBM. I don't see how PSMF'ing wouldn't be better. You maintain the muscle you have, lower your workouts, and lose the fat = looks better. If he wants to put on muslce, ang get huge, he's not gonna do it in 2.5 months so he can then pick and choose what works best for him.

    Trying to look your best in 2.5 months = PSMF...no?
    Why would he want to put his body through PSMF when he can go on a simple cal deficit diet for the 2.5 months and lose the weight he wants. There is no reason he needs to go on such a crash diet.

  22. #22
    Cutting..... and Hungry dav619's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    69
    ok guys just an update!

    I did some research and decided to do a PMSF diet. I thought this way even if i lose the fat i need to before i go to OZ, i can always follow it up with a little bulk ( really looking forward to the thought of a bulk!)

    Yesterday was a really low carb day anyway (totalled 15g of carb ), just turned out like that, so today i stook with it.

    Don't know if its just the placebo effect but this afternoon I felt pretty lousy with no energy.

    I'll let you know my progress. Thanks for all the advice!

    Dave

  23. #23
    Senior Member seK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,457
    Well goodluck, make sure you buy and read the book before doing the diet.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    1,036
    dav619,
    In 10 weeks, you should be able to cut 20 pounds safely, without a crash diet. Unless your bodyfat is very high, this should be adequate.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

    buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

  25. #25
    Banned Steele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    597
    It must rate pretty high compared to your grammar level tbh =) Dismissing something as 'crap' does not mean it holds no truth.

    /dismount soapbox

    -Steele

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •