Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paintball setup

paintball setup

I'm new to paintball, looking to spend <450, 400 on a setup..
    gun,
    loader,
    tank,
    trigger,
    harness
    pods
    mask
    knee pads

this is what i'm looking at right now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Parts-Ion-...QQcmdZViewItem
    smart parts ion with halo and tank.. also whats the 48ci mean? 48 cubic inches?
    whats the benefit of having a larger ci? if you havea 48ci 3000psi and a 48ci 4500psi? the 4500 will have more shots because of the increased psi, but they're same size?
    any suggestions?
    Last edited by dtshen; 08-09-2006 at 12:46 PM.

good choice, the ion is a good marker, just make sure you get a nitro tank with it and a decently fast hopper like an egg or halo, for a tank crossfires are the best and get a 68/45 if you can afford it, this will get you good amount of shots, as for gear i would get used.
    Last edited by Stumprrp; 08-09-2006 at 12:52 PM.
    2000 or bust

is that tank a nitro tank in that auction

Isn't there 2 tanks besides co2, nitro and something else? You want nitro or the other kind because you'll get more consistent shots and you absolutely need one in cold weather. You can't go wrong with a spyder, but it has been 4 or 5 years since I kept on up things so...The most important thing as far as comfort that I played with was a remote. It's A LOT easier to carry your tank on your back in a sling than it is to have it attached to your gun.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

First piece of equipment I'd buy is a cup. Like a protective cup for duke and the boys. Trust me, speaking from personal experience, this will come in very handy.
    JESUS KICKS ASS!

Life's too short to live in caution. Life's too long not to live at all.--Van Zandt

It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not.--Van Zandt

MYJOURNAL

MY FITDAY

I ended up saving money when I went to get my paintball stuff about 6-months ago....

Got a spider tl-x (awesome gun)
    then I bought all this stuff to make it better -

Nitro tank
    Lightweight Delrin Bolt
    Short feed neck
    Better Barrel (teardrop)
    bigger low pressure chamber

basically all in all was around $250.... and it might not be as "nice" as an ion... but performs just as good if not better on the field... strong gun, never jams, 1 tank lasts all day, accurate as hell, fast ballspeed / long range....

I was basically just starting when I got it (played b4 with friends guns) and I went out and killed a bunch of really good kids that all had ions and all this expensive ****.... popped one right in the goggles when he was trying to shoot me.... its really the shooter not the gun (especially when u have something good)... my gun is better than anything i could ever need, the other kids are just wasting more money on paintballs because they can shoot them faster...

o yea... another piece of advice... if you have a public park with benches you can flip and bushes all over the place they make great fields at 2 in the morning when you and ur friends want to play (especially in the rain)....

coolest thing ever... amazed we didn't get shot by a cop or arrested or anything... there are so many cool things out there... lol

For the love of God, don't be stupid and play in the middle of a public part. You're doing nothing but ****ing up the already skewed image of paintball.

I've got several years of tournament (local and national) experience. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. The ION you're looking at is a perfect gun. I've seen no complaints from any of the people that shoot them. Awesome entry level gun.

2. I recommend picking up a 4500 size tank. The 45/3000 tank listed in the ebay thread is just too small for your liking. Trust me. Unless you play snake or dorito side (as I do) you'll want something a bit bigger.

3. That Halo TSA thing is a waste of money. Pick up either an Egg or if you can spring for it, a Halo (not the TSA ****).

4. ION barrel is ****. Save yourself the trouble and pick up an Ultralite from Dye.

5. Pick up a good mask first off. Go ahead and buy a ProFlex from JT. Best mask on the market. Period.

6. I recommend picking up some sliding shorts. They'll save your ass, literally.

7. If you decide to make the jump to a higher priced setup, look at the Dye line of guns (PM5, PM6, DM5, DM6). I've shot a lot of guns, and have NO complaints about their line of markers.

8. Practice and practice a lot. Gun skills are the most overlooked area of a player's game. Practice snapping, laning, and handling your gun in your prop. Also work on podding up while keeping your eyes on the field.

9. DON'T be stupid like the guy who posted above me and do dumb stuff. You'll do nothing but hurt the sport.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

lol... nothing wrong with a buncha drunk high school seniors (at the time) running out to a park at 2 am with a half a dozen paintball guns and 3 boxes of paint to have a little fun....

that was seriously the coolest night of my life just about.... if only paintball fields could be more like that (easier and not made for people that are short.. lol).... thats what really kills me is being 6'2" its hard to get behind a dorito or a snake (although I often do) without being seen, I really really hate the little 3'x3' or 4'x4' square pieces of wood that im expected to get behind... i usually have to end up playing back because of the small pieces in the middle that I can't hide behind as well (unless im going crazy and running in like a madman)

hey, whys it matter if you have a smaller tank like a 3000psi? can't you just refill it? its not lke you're going to use 1000 shots a round. so can you just reload between rounds?

is a roller trigger a must? or is stock ok

how do people protect their nuts? is a cup necessary? those are so uncomfortable. do those padded pants work?

Quote Originally Posted by dtshen
    is a roller trigger a must? or is stock ok
    depends, how much paint do u want to waste?

if ur not playing proffesionally I wouldn't go all out.... get stuff over time as it goes bad or as u realize u need it...

and as far as the tank... i have a 48cu 3000psi tank and with my gun listed above I can play for 6-7 hours strait without getting it filled (actually, I still had like 800 psi.... we were the only ones out there and only took breaks to get water)

how do people protect their nuts? is a cup necessary? those are so uncomfortable. do those padded pants work?
    I just wear jeans... hasnt been a problem yet...

I hated playing on the speed ball fields, kind of pointless if you ask me. I like playing in the woods with camo much better.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

spyder is seriously the best option... uses the least amount of gas, if u get the right one it wont chop balls, mess up, cost a lot of money... etc etc...

get a tl-x, you wont be dissapointed, believe me...

http://www.spyder.tv/section/product...kers/tl_x.html

this gun is soooo durable... the only bad thing about it is the stock barrel but new ones for it are like 25 bucks.... such a nice gun.... I've dove and landed on top of my gun and played in the rain and mud and this gun never jammed, chopped, or anything.... love it....
    Last edited by ehscrewdude; 08-09-2006 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ehscrewdude
    lol... nothing wrong with a buncha drunk high school seniors (at the time) running out to a park at 2 am with a half a dozen paintball guns and 3 boxes of paint to have a little fun....
    That's the problem right there... your in a public place, shooting paintballs going 300 FPS, marking up all the PUBLIC benches and trees. It's dumbasses like you that will accidently hit the stupid bastard jogging at 2:00am that will make the papers and give paintball another black eye.

I'm new to paintball, looking to spend <450, 400 on a setup..
    gun,
    loader,
    tank,
    trigger,
    harness
    pods
    mask
    knee pads
    [
    I own an ION and haven't had any problems with it, I would recommend that you upgrade the trigger and feedneck once you get it. (if you buy it stock and not from the auction). Both the feedneck and trigger are flimsy and need to be upgraded. I also have a 68/45 tanks which is faily light to play with. If you can afford it, change the barrel as it's not all that great.

If I can make a suggestion on 1 piece of equipment not to skim on, it's the mask, spend enought money and get a high quality mask. Let me just tell you that a mask which fogs up all the time will ruin a good day of paintball reall quick.

Last edited by _8_Ball; 08-10-2006 at 06:59 AM.

Banned
    I still have a SplatMaster. I'd consider selling it to you if you want to play with a "real" marker.

Seriously though, if you're new enough to paintball to be asking if you need a cup or not, you ought to think about renting a gun for a couple more sessions to figure out if it's really for you.

i agree.. ehscrewdude ur an idiot ..

I can't stand playing anything other than speedball/Xball. Of course I suppose I'm jaded. NO faster game out there.

You've got to ask yourself how serious you're going to get with the playing. If you're just going to occasionally play woodsball here and there then stick with the smaller tank. If you're going to play seriously on a field, then I'd look at getting a bigger tank. Because I play snake, I shoot less than anybody on my team, and I still dump somewhere around 4-500 balls a game. My back and tape guys are shooting 6-900 a game. Just depends on how you want to do things.

900 a game? thats like 20 bux of ammo per round?? how much can you expect to spend a day playing
    Last edited by dtshen; 08-10-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Ill shoot at the most like, 100 paintballs a game... and usually get at least 1 person out on the other team, if not then I'm pinning someone down while someone runs around to bang them out...

Stick with a spyder or the like, like I said you don't need to spend the extra $100-$200 if you're just going to be playing recreationally (especially if theres teams of 40 year old business execs all with rentals, then its really doesn't matter)

Played against a kid with over $500 worth of equipment (he was bragging) and at the time I had about $150 invested... He never won a round, or got anyone out.... I shot him half of the rounds with a $100 gun..... (before upgrades that I got the next week)

It's amazing how somebody always comes up with a story about how they shot out the kid with X amount of money in his equipment.

When you play tournaments competitively, the more you roll your gun, the better. It may be expensive, but that's why you depend on sponsorships. I spend no less than $40 a weekend practicing. Depending on the tournament, I can spend upwards of $200. It's the price you pay to play at a higher level.