The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: shin splints?

Hybrid View

shin splints?

yestersay i had bad pains in my ankle......right at the joint, on the topside of my foot, and thismorning when i woke up i waws in agony, and the pain has spread up to the bottom of my calf, and when i walk...the front of my shin...

im afraid this could be shin splints, any way of checking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

theres nothing to be afraid of shin splints for, if the hurt bad ice them.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

im afraid because the season starts soon ....and i wont be able to play with this....my da said i might have to get it x rayed as it dould be a fractued tibia,......or something
    I agree with McVein

I'm not much of a runner but I would definatly get this checked out by a doctor. However, AFTER whatever it is healed, I would recommend training your ankle extensors (I believe thats what they're called...) Most runners get a muscle imbalance and I believe thats what causes shin splints. For instance, stand up on your toes. This is the motion that you make in running with your ankles over and over and over and over - you never train the reverse motion! (Pulling your toes/foot toward your knee). After it heals, train this rang of motion using an elastic band of some sort.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

hold on......rbar says its nothing to worry abou, and you say o get it checked.....hmmmm

yeah thats a good point actually, i dont train those muscles at all
    I agree with McVein

Wannabebig Member
    I had shin splint before and it sucked. It didn't go away until after the season was over. Over the weekend, it healed a bit but when Monday came up, my shins would feel good for a little bit and then it came back during practice, and got worst as the week went by. The cycle continued week in and week out until the season was over. I just googled "shin splint" and a lot of resources say to treat shin splint with rest or decreased training. I don't think you can just brush off a shin splint with ice. Also, continuing training on a shin split could aggravate the injury is what the links said. So if indeed it is shin split, you need some rest. I think it's better to stop any training that aggravates the shins and just let it rest rather than risk prolonging shin splint with some training.

McVein...please do a search in the forums. There are several threads on shin splints, what to do for them and how to minimize them as well as knowing when the problem is brought on by something else (check anthony's posts). Best of luck with things, but with that said, I'm locking this thread.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.