The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pride Boss: My Fighters Will "devour" Ufc Fighters

Pride DSE president Sakakibara is gunning for the UFC in a big way according to Tokyo Sports newspaper in Japan. Sakakibara’s goal is to bring his show and fighters to America and takeover the UFC. This takeover plan involves his aim to take all the UFC belts and a supershow or an MMA superbowl of sorts.

The first part of this takeover plan that was disclosed to Tokyo Sports is to happen in November at UFC 65 when Wanderlei Silva fights the UFC’s Chuck Liddell. And as Pres. Sakakibara puts it his fighters will “devour” all the UFC athletes.

On July 8th Sakakibara and Wanderlei Silva attended UFC 61 and the Pride president was impressed with the MMA fervor. But, he said that he wasn’t going to stand idly by as the sport grows in America. He is going to put on a MMA superbowl next summer with plans to hold it in a football stadium. He said that whichever stadium they use it will have a capacity of over 60,000, and if they seat fans on the field it will be over 100,000. Sakakibara is confident with the MMA zeal in America that the stadium will be packed to capacity and that it will even surpass the attendance of the 2002 Dynamite show that was jointly promoted by Pride and K-1.

Not only does Sakakibara plan on using a stadium to host his supershow but he mentioned the possibility of using a ring and a cage in the same event. Using the ring for round one, the cage for round two, and the ring for round three. Or vice versa. That way the Pride or UFC fighters can’t have an excuse about what they fought in.

But Sakakibara realizes that “ it will be a fierce battle between the promoters.” And, he even expects that the UFC may storm the Pride show in Las Vegas on October 21st. But, his plan is to take all of the UFC belts, as Sakakibara said,” not just Silva alone, but Fedor, Yoshida, Fujita, and Gomi. I’m going to send these guys into the octagon to devour them first.” Starting this Fall, Sakakibara said Pride will start sending fighters to take the UFC titles, and then deliver the finishing blow at the MMA superbowl. Sakakibara stated, “If we take the titles, the UFC will have nowhere to run.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=2470&zoneid=1

If this happens it will be a interesting time in the sport of MMA.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Interesting for sure. Im not a huge fan (I watch a bit of PPV) but I would like to see what happens

Fedor > *

Sounds exciting. I'm sure Sylvia will be losing his belt, but other than that I think we'll be seeing some very competitive fights.

Wanderlei Silva looks like a bad bad man, I think he will give chuck a good fight. On that note I think that UFC 65 will be the first one I pay for.

They should just let Fedor fight all of the UFC champions at once.

It'd be quicker.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

UFC will pop a cap in Pride's ass:

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

If this happens I hope Pride walks all over UFC. I'd love to see Yoshida and Fedor dismantle the heavyweights of the UFC.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Each org has it's strengths.

Lighweights: Easily Pride

Welterweights: Hughes is the clear #1 in the world.

Middles: Franklin same as above

LightHeavies: Both have some good fighters in this class. We'll see what happens in UFC 65.

Heavies: Easily Pride

I hate that Pride doesn't fight in the Octagon. I think the pride fighters will have a very tough time with UFC rules. Putting Leben against Sylvia was stupid. Sylvia needed to fight a conteneder. Both orgs need each other to survive. UFC fans are getting bored of the same old rematches. Pride just lost a big tv contract in Japan and realizes that they need the American market.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I don't know the specifics, but I heard that the Pride organization somehow offended TVJapan execs and is no longer allowed to show their events on major networks in Japan. I'm sure this is part of the motivation behind their moving events to the U.S.

There have been a lot of Pride vs. K1 tournaments that were pretty interesting. If things pan out, there could be some great Pride vs. UFC tournaments - I hope they get it going!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Liddel is gonna get 'devoured' by wandi. Id like to see Pride over on this side of the world forsure. Adds flavor.
    My sig scared getfit.

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kool
    And as Pres. Sakakibara puts it his fighters will “devour” all the UFC athletes.

:withstupi
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

UFC seems much more agressive and hardcore.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder
    Liddel is gonna get 'devoured' by wandi. Id like to see Pride over on this side of the world forsure. Adds flavor.
    Pride has already been approved to hold bouts in the US.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

The problem as I see it is that the UFC allows Elbows on the ground and Pride doesn't. Also Pride allows kicks to the head when you're down, whereas UFC doesn't.

So, this should make a big difference to some of the matches.. ie Silva will probably lose to Liddell, because he's famous for taking them down and booting them in the melon...

As for Fedor, I dont think ANYONE from any organization can touch him right now.. He's just not human...LOL... Actually if Liddell gained some weight I'd love to see Fedor drop him...LOL.. Would be so cool...

Should make for some entertaining fights though....

Peace out...

The problem with UFC it seems like as soon as someone is knocked on the ground (stunned a little) and the ref runs over and stops the fight, and in a couple of seconds the guy knocked down is fine. In Pride there have been a bunch of fights where a guy has been knocked down and they would have called the fight in UFC, and that guy actually comes back and wins the fight. It seems they're a little to hasty at times in UFC to stop the fight. One that comes to mind is when Kevin Randleman fought in UFC. I don't remeber who he fought, but he got knocked down and the ref stopped the fight and Randleman was alright. He was pissed beyond all belief and couldn't understand why they stopped it, and I couldn't either.
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym!

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    Putting Leben against Sylvia was stupid. Sylvia needed to fight a conteneder. Both orgs need each other to survive. UFC fans are getting bored of the same old rematches. Pride just lost a big tv contract in Japan and realizes that they need the American market.
    I think they put Sylvia vs. Leben because they wanted to get Sylvia out there quickly, which they did. Generated a lot of buzz, especially since many UFC fans saw Leben as a better fighter than he was.

Nothing beats Pride's HWs for me: Nog, Cro Cop, Fedor, Randleman. Just freaking awesome.

Lighweights: Easily Pride
    I don't watch enough Pride to compare too well, but I think the lightweights in the UFC are pretty solid. Sean Sherk, Melvin Guillard (if he can polish up at least) and some other guys that plan on dropping weight are going to be pretty tough. What are some of the Pride gus that are dominating this weight class?

Edit: At the gym today someone said that Dana White might have canceled the Silva-Liddell fight and gave some BS reason. Any word on this?
    Last edited by KingJustin; 08-12-2006 at 03:19 PM.

I think if Pride wants to come over and stomp the UFC as they claim they can then they should do it in the octagon with UFC regulations. Once this has taken place turn the tables and throw the UFC guys in the ring (some time passing for recovery and instruction on other organizations regulations) with Pride regs to eliminate all the bs about "home field advantage". Either way it would be something to see.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

Wow, that's a great idea. And simple too.

They could each have a match on their respective turfs, and then have a tournament with combined formats/regulations.
    Last edited by Majestic; 08-12-2006 at 03:33 PM.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

dont get too excited. i read on an insider site wandy vs chuck is done, and its gonna be a chuck and tito rematch this november

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=2480&zoneid=3
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 08-12-2006 at 03:36 PM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Quote Originally Posted by JHolmes145
    dont get too excited. i read on an insider site wandy vs chuck is done, and its gonna be a chuck and tito rematch this november

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=2480&zoneid=3

Yep, apparently it's done -- and most of the blame is with Pride. I think they have the better fighters, but this was a bull**** move.

Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin
    I don't watch enough Pride to compare too well, but I think the lightweights in the UFC are pretty solid. Sean Sherk, Melvin Guillard (if he can polish up at least) and some other guys that plan on dropping weight are going to be pretty tough. What are some of the Pride gus that are dominating this weight class?

Edit: At the gym today someone said that Dana White might have canceled the Silva-Liddell fight and gave some BS reason. Any word on this?
    I don't believe any of the top 10 ranked lightweights are in the UFC. Pride would do some schooling in this weight class.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Yep, apparently it's done -- and most of the blame is with Pride. I think they have the better fighters, but this was a bull**** move.
    This is a huge bummer. The UFC is going to lose a lot of fans unless they get away from all this rematch crap. It is getting very old very fast.
    My Journal

This is a huge bummer. The UFC is going to lose a lot of fans unless they get away from all this rematch crap. It is getting very old very fast.
    Shamrock vs. Ortiz VIII -- "The Final Confrontation!".

Chuck vs. Babalu is something to look forward to, as is GSP vs. Hughes. Generally I agree, though -- the constant UFC rematches are getting tiresome. I'm praying for a Cro Cop/Fedor rematch sometime within the next few months, and I also want to see Frank Shamrock pwn Rich Franklin.