The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Very nice sqautting jumps, elbow all good now?

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 3
    Thursday, December 14 2006

Bodyweight: 232

Training
    Chins
    BWx5/5/5/4/3.5
    * Better

Hammerstrength ISO Pulldown
    2PPS+25 x 8/8/8 (increase to +35)
    * Felt pretty good although left elbow started to give me grief

Arnold Press
    75x5/5/3/stop
    * All right. I have officially ****ed up my left bicep tendon or something else in the elbow there. Going to get it checked out. Dammit.

Standing Side Laterals
    30xskipped

Calf Raise on Leg Press
    4PPS+25x20/20/20 (increase to 5PPS)
    * Felt pretty good about this.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    1.5g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good.

Comments, Rants, You Name It

Too tired.

Feedback

galileo: Yup. It is kind of trippy how it all coalesces into a near-solid mass. You want another good, easy, and classy recipe?
    Try making some sabayon with fresh fruit. I made some of this on the weekend, using a late harvest Vidal and the fruit was papaya, passion fruit, raspberries, fresh figs and pineapple. You can also use a late harvest Riesling or any other late harvest sweet/dessert wine that is light but sweet. Sabayon is very easy to make. First, just heat 5-6 egg yolks in a pot with 1/4c of sugar and whisk constantly. It should eventually grow to about 3 times the original volume. Then add in 1/2c of the wine and keep whipping until it is a big frothy mass. Serve immediately though... if you let it sit, the bubbles will go away and it will become a thin and disappointing syrup.

risk10k:Thanks man. I'm pleased with the rate my strength is recovering on squats. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing. The elbow is officially still FUBAR though.

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 4
    Friday, December 15 2006

AM Bodyweight: 235

Training
    Romanian Deadlifts
    375 x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 405)
    * My low back is starting to dislike these despite my strict form. Even with good form this thing thrashes the spinal erectors. I think I will do some work at 405 and then swap this out for something else. Good Mornings? Anyone got other suggestions?

Leg Curls
    225 x 8/8/8 (increase to 240)
    * Well hm. For a variety of reasons, I was experiencing hellacious DOMS from my leg workout on Tuesday. Mostly in my quads with some elsewhere in my legs. I got setup in the Leg Curl machine and did a rep and then must have made some kind of pathetic mewling noise because the chick doing incline crunches nearby actually stopped and looked at me. The pad of the machine that held my legs down was pressing down on my quads and it hurt like you wouldn't believe. I unlocked myself from the machine and stood up, flashing a cocky "all is right in a world clever enough to contain me so ignore what you just heard" smile at the crunch girl. She smiled back uncertainly and went on with her crunches. I flipped tracks on my mp3 player and found "**** That" by Kid Rock and psyched myself up for the set. Strapped myself back in and ground out 3 solid sets to progress the weight.

Leg Extensions
    210 x 20/20/20
    * Wow. A step beyond active recovery, this may have increased the DOMS. We'll see.

Cybex Advanced Bench (Narrow Grip)
    1PPS x 5/5/5/5/5 (increase by +25 per side)
    * I think I'll stick with this. Essentially a free-motion plate-loaded machine type thing, there's no cables or anything... it's just lever arms designed to prevent you from killing yourself that are articulated enough you can get a natural ROM in the exercise. Was a bit shaky at first but rapidly warmed to the movement. I expect I'll rapidly increase this at first and then slow down to normal progression.

1-Hand Reverse Tricep Pressdowns
    50 x 12/12/12 (increase to 55)
    * Hello triceps pump.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    1.5g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good to Very Good.

No time today.

Feedback

Nil.

Okay, why no GHR instead of leg curls? Huge ass?

Heavy romanians man awesome workout.

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 1
    Monday, December 18 2006

Bodyweight: 235

Training
    Supported T-Bar Rows
    180x5/5/4/4/3 (increase to 180)
    * Nice reps.

Machine Rows
    210x8/8/8 (increase to 225)
    * Good solid reps, closed this one out.

Incline DB Press
    95x5/5/5/4/4
    * No progress here BUT I noticed just before the LAST set that I had the incline set 2 points higher than I typically do, which tends to make this much harder. I expect to close this out next week with a lower incline.

Machine Flyes
    210x8/5/4
    * Bizarre... once again I collapsed on this. It might have been the clenching, spandex-clad glutes of the fitness queen in front of me as she stood on the deadlift platform doing curls with an oly bar. But only maybe.

Seated Lever Calf Press
    160x20/15/15
    * Ugh. This hurt.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    8 capsules At Large ETS
    1.5g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good most of the weekend. I really should add another 500 calories somewhere though if I want to hit 240 by the end of the year.

Song of the Moment: Queen - A Kind of Magic

Feedback

Risk10k: They don't have a bench/thing for that at my gym. Although I do have a squatter's ass.

KStarke: Thanks man. I am going to drop them and start doing heavy Good Mornings soon, and we'll see if I can match or better your numbers for those.

Sounds good man... BRING IT ON!!!!

I used to do my GHR on a Lat Pulldown bench. The knee holding pads are great for holding your ankles if you can get the angles right. I think Cybex machines were my favorite so far.

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 2
    Tuesday, December 19 2006

Training
    Squats
    335x5/5/5/5/5
    * Posterior chain was complaining after this. I wonder if doing some lower weight higher rep squats will help this?

Leg Press
    9PPSx8/8/8 (increase by +25 per side?)
    * Forgot my training book at the office so I decided I had to 'close out' all my weights to make them easier to remember. This was damn heavy.

High Foot Position Leg Press
    5PPSx20/20/20 (increase by +25 per side)
    * I was bathed in sweat and breathing hard after each set. But I got 'em.

EZ Curls
    115x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 125)
    * Closed this sucker out.

Seated Hammer Curls
    45x6/5/3
    * OK, didn't close this one out. But it was a new weight.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    1g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good for the most part.

Song of the Moment: Rollins Band - Ghostrider

---

I am listening to Henry Rollins because he was in Johnny Mnemonic, which I watched recently. Cool role for him.

Feedback

galileo: That's a good idea... but what about working to failure? Do you face plant on the floor?

Killer leg day man, strong squats.

strong leg work man
    2000 or bust

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 3
    Thursday, December 21 2006

Training

Arnold Press
    75x5/5/5/5/5 (increase to 80)
    * Hells yeah. Doing these first certainly left my elbow feeling better.

Standing Side Laterals
    30x8/8/6
    * meh... not bad

Chins
    BWx5/5/4
    * started to feel strain in the elbow again so stopped. I think I may leave off chins for a while and let this situation heal up because it's clearly being exacerbated by chins.

Hammerstrength ISO Pulldown
    2PPS+35 x 6/6/4
    * A decent-size college-age kid was doing these with 2P+10 per side when I asked him if he had many sets left. He had one. When he was done, he asked if I wanted help unloading the weight. It was hard not to smile when I shook my head and added another quarter to each side.

Calf Raise on Leg Press
    5PPSx15/15/12
    * not too shabby

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    1.5g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good.

On my way out of the gym, I was stopped by the front desk girls and they asked about my blazer, which is a dark blue brushed-cotton athletic fit blazer from GAP's winter 2005 line. I was wearing it over an unbuttoned french blue dress shirt and a plain white T.

Front Desk Girl 1 (a voluptuous black girl with very pretty eyes): "We like your velvet blazer."
    Me: "Oh it's not velvet. Just brushed cotton. Here..."
    <excuse to be fondled by two babes>
    FDG1: "I have like 14 blazers and I'm always looking out for nice ones."
    Me: "Last season, GAP. It was on sale for like $110. A great deal, really."
    Front Desk Girl 2 (a petite blonde reminiscent of a shorter, cuter Jessica Cauffiel): "Wow it really brings out your eyes, especially with that shirt."
    Me: <looking directly into her eyes> "I know. It's kinda why I bought it."
    FDG2: <blushes, smiles>

It's gratifying to know I can still pimp it a little, despite 12 years of marriage.

Feedback

starkers:Thanks man. 405x5 will be mine, oh yes.

strumpet:Yeah, it's not 225x50 but it'll do. I was thinking of competing in the contest until you pulled that off. Sick, just sick!

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 1
    Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Bodyweight: 237

Training
    Supported T-Bar Rows
    180x5/5/4/4/4
    * Not too bad. The support really makes it hard to breathe. I may switch to ghetto-style t-bars or something.

Machine Rows
    225x8/5/5
    * Good effort at a new weight. Clean reps, paused at top and bottom. Felt a bit bad because a New Year's Resolutioner was working on it and I had to work in. Using about 2x what they had loaded. I felt a bit bad and hoped they didn't think I was trying to show off.

Incline DB Press
    100x5/5/3/3/3
    * Decided to bump this up to 100s anyway. Felt v. strong at beginning and then tailed off a bit. Good reps though.

Machine Flyes
    210x8/8/5
    * Finally made progress here. Was hard because forearms were kinda pumped after the heavy DB benching.

Seated Lever Calf Press
    160x20/17/10
    * lost reps on the last set due to a cramp. Meh.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    8 capsules At Large ETS
    1.5g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Didn't hit an official 240 by the end of the year, although my BW was over 240 after the large meals. Diet was very dirty over the holidays. VERY dirty. Dirty, dirty diet.

Song of the Moment: Black Flag - Rise Above

---

In Vietnam they called them "Cherries". In the gym we see them every January. The hopeful, earnest makers of New Year's Resolutions. Mostly flabby, mostly small, mostly pale and mostly men. Sweating as they grunt through sets of mostly-modest weight. Glancing furtively at more hardcore gymgoers slinging some heavy iron. Glancing less furtively at the spandex-clad fitness bunnies who are monopolizing the cardio machines, the spinning classes and the wobble boards. Telling stories about how they "used to work out" and how they "benched/squatted a lot more before that injury back in 2002".

Good luck Cherries. Here's hoping that you are survivors. Here's hoping that you too can become proper veterans of the gym and watch the next crop of Cherries coming in next January. I might even bother to learn your name, come next fall. If you survive.

Feedback

None.
    Last edited by Relentless; 01-02-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Banned
    I am Relentless - Day 2
    Wednesday, January 3 2007

Bodyweight: 237

Training
    Squats
    365x3/3/3/1/-
    * I don't know why I decided to bump this to 365 instead of 355. But I did. My right hip flexor and part of my right hip went into spasm on the way up after the first rep in set4 so I bailed on the rest. Going to stretch and use hydrotherapy on this area tonight, maybe some yoga and stuff.

Leg Press
    10PPS x skipped

High Foot Position Leg Press
    5PPS+25 x skipped

EZ Curls
    125x5/3/3/2/1
    * UGLY as **** but ah well. New weight. My lowback/hip were twinging throughout but not too badly.

Seated Hammer Curls
    45x8/6/5
    * Forward progress here.

Supplementation
    1 Pak Animal Pak
    1g Glucosamine
    1g additional Vitamin C
    10g Fish Oil
    4 scoops Nitrean
    2 scoops Opticen

Diet
    Good for the most part. Had a couple of 10oz steaks for dinner last night.

Meh.

Feedback

Nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Squats
    365x3/3/3/1/-
    * I don't know why I decided to bump this to 365 instead of 355. But I did.
    Huge jump from your last squat weight used... ego lifter.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

uh oh....not so relentless anymore

updates!
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Yeah, definately fake the GHR's off the lat pulldown station. You will get some strange stares...

Energizer Bunnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    uh oh....not so relentless anymore

updates!

.....been waiting a wee bit too long in here.....I'm figuring its because you are a daddy now ??
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Banned
    Wow. Been a while since I've been in here.
    *blows the dust off his journal*

What with the new kid, job transition and many other factors, I haven't been doing anything resembling regular training in a long while. Which isn't to say I've been lying around doing nothing. But no serious, consistent training. I *did* help lead my football team to our first divisional championship in December, which was nice. Moved to SS from MLB and immediately started generating turnovers, with at least 1 INT every game.

So I was back in the gym on Friday. Just the smells and sounds of the gym were invigorating. The clang of 45s on an oly bar. The scent of disinfectant and old sweat. The long-neglected workout mix on the mp3 player. The feel of the bar settling into the space between traps and delts as I load up the bar and do some squats again. It was great.

I did squats, arnold presses, and chinups in a sort of exploratory workout. Nothing earth shattering. Decent squats of varying weights up to 315. Noted my hammies were a little tight. Arnold presses up to 75. The shoulder impingement that frustrated me last year is totally gone. Shoulders feel strong and flexible. I thin crossfitting has been a big factor there. Pullups were crappy. I won't report the embarassing numbers there I was able to manage in consecutive non-kipping bodyweight pullups. Lets just say it was low. More than a couple, but far fewer than i ought to manage.

Today, I have DOMS in a terrible way. Which is to be expected I guess. I am back taking ETS so I don't expect it to last.

Now that I'm back on a schedule again, expect to see more here and more of me around the boards.

Banned
    Did some more training last week, basically just putting the ol' bod through the paces and seeing what's what. Got improvement already on pullups and also was able to deadlift 405 without a hitch so I haven't lost TOO much of what's important to me.