The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

why is my max bench press so low?

my buddy is about 5'10-5'11...175 his max is 260

im 6'0 190 my max is 160!!!!

im below him on every workout because he has been lifting alot longer than me...hes built pretty solid...well me i have only been lifter for about 2 weeks BUT i am a naturally big guy (NOT FAT!) and played baseball/basketball all my live...seems to me i should be doin more than 160...could it be my form or technique(sp?)

if not what is a good routine/diet to get my bench up quick as possible

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its cos wether you like to admit it or not your a beginner...if you want to get your bench up why don't you ask your friend for advice...weightlifting is about improving yourself and not being better than your friends
    started june 06
    now weigh 180lbs 5'4
    age 26
    bench 240lbs
    dead 340lbs
    seated shoulder press 85lbs (each arm)

stop worrying about it.

Lift, eat, rest, properly and you'll be stronger than him in no time.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Keep lifting. You'll get there eventually. Comparing yourself to someone else because of their height and weight is irrelevant.

my buddy is about 5'10-5'11...175 his max is 260
    im below him on every workout because he has been lifting alot longer than me
    You already answered your own question.

seems to me i should be doin more than 160...
    No it shouldn't. It's completely individual. Just keep lifting hard, eating enough, and sleeping well and you'll get there.

if not what is a good routine/diet to get my bench up quick as possible
    This isn't some race with time. It's a gradual process and your strength gains WILL come.

What's your current routine look like? Your diet?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Banned
    I would like to point out that a 160 lbs bench press for a beginner is a very good number. Not only is it a high absoloute number, it is 84% of your bodyweight. Lots of people start at 50% or less of their bodyweight.

Remember that practice makes perfect - practice in sports makes you better at sports and practice at weightlifting makes you better at weightlifting.

I'm sure you'll ride the newbie gains and get a massive bench up pretty quick. Good luck!!

Remember, lifting is not about competing with someone else, it's not about keeping up with the next guy, it's about doing the best YOUR body can do, it's about competing with YOU and making YOURSELF a stronger person. Leave the ego out of the gym and you'll be a lot better, and in the end, a lot stronger for it.

Yep. I'll mirror what everyone else has said. Dont compare, because even when you bench 300+, people can still bench 3x that.

160 isn't a bad effort. Just keep it up and it will improve with time.

Remember the old aphorism: somewhere out there is a small Chinese girl warming up with your max.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Remember, lifting is not about competing with someone else, it's not about keeping up with the next guy, it's about doing the best YOUR body can do, it's about competing with YOU and making YOURSELF a stronger person. Leave the ego out of the gym and you'll be a lot better, and in the end, a lot stronger for it.
    I try to outdo or at least keep up with the guy in the mirror i see everyday.. does that count? hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    I would like to point out that a 160 lbs bench press for a beginner is a very good number. Not only is it a high absoloute number, it is 84% of your bodyweight. Lots of people start at 50% or less of their bodyweight.

Remember that practice makes perfect - practice in sports makes you better at sports and practice at weightlifting makes you better at weightlifting.

I'm sure you'll ride the newbie gains and get a massive bench up pretty quick. Good luck!!

Awesome i dont feel like such a failure now lol.. I am 6ft weigh 215 and am a rather large guy chubby but also decent size chest and shoulders and can only bench around 140 and only once at 140. But that dont sound to far off if most beginners bench half there weight

Imma just keep at the wbb training routine and see what happens.

My starting bench was 95 lbs
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Wannabebig Member
    my routine for my chest day is...flat bench 115x10, 125x8, 135x6, 145x4...then decline press 105x10, 115x8, 125x6, 135x4...after that is military press i use 40 pound dumbells and do three sets of 10

Dont worry about your bench, its that low because your that concerned about it.

Whats the squats and deads lookin like???

make sure you have your form 100% before you get to bigger weights. No partials, no bouncing off your chest. When I started lifting I used slightly higher reps for a coupld of months to get my form right. If I feel my form is poor I will lower the weight.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Wannabebig Member
    i havent maxed on squate yet...but i work out with 200 3 sets of 10 and i have never actually did dead lift...i have only been at it for two weaks and that hasn't made it into my routine yet...another thing is what should my shrugs be at...i got 150x20 160x15 170x10 on those and dont feel the burn on those at all...does this mean im not doin them right

good squat #s for 2 weeks in lifting man. as redspikeything said, you'll have some rappid gains soon, it's just a matter of time, food and sleep. when doing the shrugs, hold for a couple of seconds at the top of the ROM. If you can do >12 reps increase the weight.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

dude..seriously..it's WAY too early to wory about the numbers. my bench went up 80lbs in less than a year, and i never bulked. give it at least 3 months before you even write down your maxes.

and shrugs is something you shouldn't even be concerned about. if you want to keep numbers, IN THREE MONTHS, get a max on bench, squat, deads. the rest is worthless. it's all worthless, really, but for dick sizing and and overall feeling of badassedness, those are the three that matter.

no one cool cares how much you curl, etc.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Wannabebig Member
    haha..thanx guys for your help

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    and shrugs is something you shouldn't even be concerned about. if you want to keep numbers, IN THREE MONTHS, get a max on bench, squat, deads. the rest is worthless. it's all worthless, really, but for dick sizing and and overall feeling of badassedness, those are the three that matter.

no one cool cares how much you curl, etc.
    Yeah, that about sums it up.

Wannabebig Member
    So as not to start a new thread about bench pressing and numbers;

does the weight of the bar get included in my bench press total?

I'm new to this, and lifting about 100 pounds of weight on a 20 pound bar. So for the sake of keeping track, am I lifting 100 pounds or 120 pounds?

120 pounds.

edit: Welcome to the boards.
    Last edited by kad; 08-12-2006 at 05:54 PM.

If you lift it, it counts towards the total weight. So the bar counts as well as any clips you have on it.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Hmm.. I never count the clips.

I don't count the clips, either. If they were bigass iron collars, I definitely would, but they're just some Troy clips. They probably weigh a pound, total, together. It's not worth explaining in my journal..lol

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    give it some time man, your numbers will begin to go up. and just be patient and keep at it
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"