Thread: WSB 3 day split

Wannabebig Member

WSB 3 day split

I can't remember where I found it, but there is an outline for the WSB training split that someone changed so that instead of working out (ME, DE, off, ME, DE, off, off) over 7 days he does the following over an 8 day rotation to fit his schedule: (ME Lower, off, ME Upper, off, DE Lower, off, off, DE Upper). Then he repeats the 8 days cycle.

Is this possibly an effective way of doing WSB training? I ask because I have been doing weightlifting/semi bodybuilding type training for almost 5 years now, but have recently switched to powerlifting. I want big lifts and I want strength. It is hard for me to workout 4 days per week though.

What's anyone's take on doing WSB as above?

Yes, it's very possible to do it that way. I would suggest you read some of the articles on elitefts.com to get a better handle on the WSB templates. You could also order a training template manual from them which details quite a few different ways to train using conjugate periodization.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have spent a lot of time over on that site reading tons of articles. I have also read a lot of Dave Tate's articles which I really enjoy reading. I have watched numerous videos on the exercises as well as practiced them with little to no weight to ge the form down. I have also looked over and studied a lot of the workout templates and tried to design one based off of Dave Tate's 9 week beginner program. I had to alter it a bit because of the lack of equipment at my gym. For instance the reverse hypers and the glute ham raise machines are non existent. I can do the glute ham raises on the lat pull down, but even then I apparently am very weak in that area as I can only do 2-3 reps of those right now.

I feel I should say that I am not coming into this as a total beginner. I currently have a max bench of 295-300. A max deadlift of 405, and a max below parallel squat of 315. So while those numbers aren't astounding by any means, they aren't all that low. I wish there were other powerlifters here where I live, but unfortunately I dont' know of any.

All the help anyone can pass my way would be great. I am going into this all out hardcore. In a week or two I will be trying come up with some sort of sled for pulling. I just don't know how yet as I can not weld, or know anyone who welds.

1. If you're weak on something, do it more often. Try to get your 2-3 reps up to 10 reps. Do them 4 days a week.

2. Where do you live? I'm sure there are lifters in your area. Post on the QA at elitefts, they might be able to help you find someone.

3. You don't have to use steel for a sled. Get an old tire and tie a rope around it. Make some sandbags to fill the tire with for weight. I think there was a thread on here about making a sled like this a while back.

4. Lift heavy.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/three_days.htm

read this article. this is what i have been doing with great results. I do this not for time constraints but for more recovery. Im 43 and I feel I need more time to recover.

Just do what works for you. None of this is set in stone. Even Dave or Jim will tell you this.

Hope this helps.

Some weeks I only train once, and my lifts keep going up. Apart my stupid bench, and thats my stupid fault for not doing super heavy tri' work aside from dips and push downs....

Wannabebig Member
    I am in my 2nd week / rotation of the 9 week phase and so far I feel good. I have learned that I have weak wrists, glutes (despite having "squat a$$"), and a semi-weak grip. I will be incorporating some accessory work for the wrists/grip into each workout and doing the glute ham raises on a lat pulldown bench each workout as a warm up until I can do 3 sets of 10 of them. I think once I can do that my deadlift and squat will definately go up. I also think strenghting my wrists/grip will increase my bench a small bit.

I feel good though. I checked around and there are two guys who do powerlifting for Bench, but that is all. The workout the whole body and use a lot of the WS techniques for their bench workouts, but that is all they do. Granted he benches over 600lbs and wins competitions, but I just want overall power and strength and well, his legs are tiny compared to the rest of him. He sort of has that Gorilla riding a Chicken thing going......

So it looks like I am flying solo for a while with this. Maybe once I get stronger and a few people notice I can get my own following to train with...lol