Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strongest RB

Hybrid View

strongest RB

who do you think is the strongest running back in the NFL? strongest with stiff arms, breaking tackles, pounding the ball through the middle, and fighting for yards? i was thinking jamal lewis of the ravens, but is there someone better?

Jerome Bettis... but he retired, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by ehscrewdude
    Jerome Bettis... but he retired, lol...

Smart man...Steelers FTW!!!!

TIKI BARBER!! go giants!
    2000 or bust

Ahman Green. That guy has some incredible strength, and his ability to break tackles is outstanding.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 08-12-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Lendale White, if he loses some babyfat, could be a beast. Which is not good cuz his Titans are in the same division as my Colts

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    Ahman Green. That guy has some incredible strength, and his ability to break tackles is outstanding.

Too bad he fumbles too much

Tiki workouts out like a mad man and has a huge squat, there are tons of strong dudes in the NFL its crazy
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

I agree with the Ahman Green statement that he is a bull but fumbles too much. He was one of the last power I backs comming out of Nebraska.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

As a packer fan I have to say green, but honestly if you count fullbacks... Mike Alstot woud own almost everyone.

Green did have a problem with fumbles, always did... its just when farve was in his stride he was so good he made up for it. That and they had such a good defense that even if the other team got the ball they couldnt do **** with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    honestly if you count fullbacks... Mike Alstot would own almost everyone.
    It's funny that you mention him, because he was on my mind as well. Alstott used to get reamed after his first couple years because he'd fumble it in the red zone, but that's only because they couldn't bring him down, and he was propped-up for so long. It was the damndest thing.

He just REFUSED to go down, and eventually, someone would poke the ball loose.

I almost felt sorry for him, it was as if his "strange gift" was leaving him susceptible to turnovers. I won't call it a "fumble", since it was basically 11 guys at the goal line hacking away at him.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    It's funny that you mention him, because he was on my mind as well. Alstott used to get reamed after his first couple years because he'd fumble it in the red zone, but that's only because they couldn't bring him down, and he was propped-up for so long. It was the damndest thing.

He just REFUSED to go down, and eventually, someone would poke the ball loose.

I almost felt sorry for him, it was as if his "strange gift" was leaving him susceptible to turnovers. I won't call it a "fumble", since it was basically 11 guys at the goal line hacking away at him.
    Alstott gets my vote...RB/FB whatever.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

you all have to agree tiki barber had one of the best seasons i have ever seen last year. unstoppable.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by homeboy7600
    who do you think is the strongest running back in the NFL? i was thinking jamal lewis of the ravens, but is there someone better?
    From an exercise/workout perspective, I have no idea.

To answer your question, yes, I think Jamal Lewis is probably the answer, although I don't care for him.

Pound for pound, Barry Sanders was pretty strange. The 1st time he was trying to get 2000 yards, back in December of 1994, he was playing against the Dolphins, and I remember that an interception was thrown. Barry literally picked the guy up, flipped him over his head, and threw him to the ground, in one quick motion. It was just odd to see.....a 5'8, 203 lb. Ninja Turtle picking up a linebacker and "reversing" him to the grass.

Sanders squatted...not leg-press, like these other running backs actually do, but SQUATTED 600 lbs. as a 20 year old at Oklahoma State back in 1988.

Anyway, enough of old stories: Like I said, I don't like him, but Jamal Lewis is probably most similar to a giant bowling ball with a jersey on, and I think that's what you were looking for.
    Last edited by Majestic; 08-12-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"

Pound for pound, Barry Sanders was pretty strange. The 1st time he was trying to get 2000 yards, back in December of 1994, he was playing against the Dolphins, and I remember that an interception was thrown. Barry literally picked the guy up, flipped him over his head, and threw him to the ground, in one quick motion. It was just odd to see.....a 5'8, 203 lb. Ninja Turtle picking up a linebacker and "reversing" him to the grass.
    I remember that play. It was funny because he left me in awe by cleaning the guy instead of how he usually left me in disbelief: running around somene and making them look stupid, like when he juked Rod Woodson out of his knee.

If we're just talking about strength I'd probably go with Alstott. Lewis would be a close second and we'll see how Lendale White does. Pound for pound Cadillac Williams is impressive. He runs with a power that seems greater than his size.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Shane
    I remember that play. It was funny because he left me in awe by cleaning the guy instead of how he usually left me in disbelief: running around somene and making them look stupid, like when he juked Rod Woodson out of his knee.
    Yep, that was it. Good memory!

Sports Illustrated did a special on NFL players workouts in their magazine last summer. Here is a link that has some videos of Tiki squatting. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...3/nfl.workout/
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

Jamal Lewis has power, but he doesnt do any actual strength training. He does workouts like hitting a punching bag, and other things of that sort. There was an article on him in ESPN a few years back and when I read it I was like wow... he kept repeating that he had mad genes or something.

I'm gonna have to go with Ahman Green, although we didn't get to see his performance this past season due to injuries. Larry Johnson has to be my second. When Priest Holmes got injured last year on the Kansas City Chiefs he stepped up and showed what he was made of. I mean he started out later in the season and ended up with something like 1,750 yards? 20 touchdowns? He did awesome, and if he had played all year he would've definately been in the running for MVP.

Tiki has corrected his fumbling problem, and I respect that, but I'm doubting he loads up 750 on the Smith machine, if that's what they meant by "safety bar".

That's an awful lot of weight to push for a guy who had only been seriously lifting weights, as he put it, for one off-season. (let's say 8 months)

I'd be impressed if he could handle 500 on the Smith machine after 8 months of *serious* lifting, being that his former routine included mostly boxing.

Aw.....I don't care. Go Lions. Let's get 8 wins. Please. PLEASE!

Tiki is a VERY strong running back no doubt about that, but I feel there are better ball carriers out there. I've seen that video of him squatting before and for a running back to squat over 600 pounds is pretty damned good considering they can pretty much only train like that 4 months out of the year.

So you believe that Tiki squats, after 8 months of lifting, 300 more lbs than you, someone who is completely dedicated year-around to lifting weights?

Tiki just "magically" quit boxing in the off-season, and starting squatting 700 lbs in the Smith machine?

So you believe that Tiki squats, after 8 months of lifting, 300 more lbs than you, someone who is completely dedicated year-around to lifting weights?

Tiki just "magically" quit boxing in the off-season, and starting squatting 700 lbs in the Smith machine?

For one, I have yet to complete a solid year of dedicated training at all let alone a year with proper diet and getting proper rest.

For two, Tiki is atleast 10 years older then me and has probably trained very hard for much longer then I have trained at all.

Thiers no magic involved, I've seen the video of him squatting so he's legit.

Dude, where do you get the 8 months from? Tiki has been lifting for a good number of years. Maybe you misunderstood. Most NFL players don't lift as much during the regular season because it's too much and they just workout in the offseason. But, there's no way in hell that an NFL player doesn't workout, that's a requirement. Besides, have you seen how built Tiki is? He's a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Dude, where do you get the 8 months from? Tiki has been lifting for a good number of years. Maybe you misunderstood.
    In the article he provided, Tiki states that all he ever did in the offseason was a boxing/cardio routine. This changed, per the article, as of February 2004. 7 months later would be training camp, and his breakout season.