The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrist Pain

Wannabebig Member
    have the same problem right now, it hurts about 3-4 days after my biceps workout if i do barbell curl, and im using a curvy one, not the straight one. ill do some dumbell curl until my wrists are healed so i can comeback with the barbell.

I suffered from the same wrist pain as a result of jamming my hand against some bleachers playing football. That was 13years ago... and it sucked, no curls, couldn't do push ups and to this day can't properly flex my wrist back. I wasn't until 5 years ago, after seeing lots of experts... that an ER doctor was checking my wrist after a work accident that I explained my problem that he said I tore the tendon that wraps the wrist and keeps the carpel bones in place. I was in a cast for 10 days and this made it pain free, but life has a way of bringing it all back... I've sucked up and dealt with the pain. I found forcing regular pushups helped immensely after the initial week of pain. The biggest fix was working grip and wrist strength... I use CoC's, band finger extension, hex holds and other stuff similar a la Diesel crew and have had the best results in the past 4 years. All my totals are going up and it's not a hinderance. Thick bar stuff is probably the simplest thing to incorporate quickly... I was wrapping a dumbbell in a large sponge and doing farmer walks...

Hope this gives you some ideas!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    I have similar problems on my right wrist. The problem started when i switched from an EZ bar to the Olympic bar. I started working out 5 days a week everyday like 2 months ago. But due to the wrist i havent been able to. I bought some joint capsules but not doing the job.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have similar problems on my right wrist. The problem started when i switched from an EZ bar to the Olympic bar. I started working out 5 days a week everyday like 2 months ago. But due to the wrist i havent been able to. I bought some joint capsules but not doing the job.

Wannabebig New Member

Wrist pain

Hey when i go to the gym and do prechur curls or stright bar curls it's fine till i put the bar down and release my grip then it starts to hurt for 10 seconds and slowly disapates... i think its getting worse as i move up in weights when i was prechur curling 25's it wasnt bad, now that im doing 35's it hurts.

Please help?

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry for the bump. But SO glad I found this.

I've had this experience for a couple weeks, and I think I'll switch to hammer curls and see how it goes.

Wannabebig New Member

My Wrist Hurts Too.

Ya.. I'm pushing this thread, but I think it's worth the push. I've been working out for 1 year now and have really been seeing some definition. Just recently, I started pushing my curl weight and that's when I started having some pain. I started curling 35 - 40lbs. I was curling with dumbells until my pain worsened. It sucks cause i was really gaining. Currently, I weigh 150 lbs. and i am 5'7'

I like the strategy that other's have recommended. Such as, use alternate methods of curling like the bicep pulldowns.

Iwill try and keep you guys posted.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKokonut View Post
    yeah I found this thread a few months ago and it describes my pain. The pain started in my left wrist and I took off two months and it slowly went away. Three months later I had the same pain in my right wrist after the left one had healed. I took off three weeks and let it heal enough for me to lift again. However, I still have pain when I twist my wrist (pain only in the outer area like those above). It has been about 5 months and I still have the pain. I don't curl anymore because of the pain as well as skull crushers. Anyways, I'm assuming eventually the pain will go away, I don't feel like taking off another two months.
    I remember this thread. Anyways, 2.5 years later I have gotten rid of almost all the pain. I used wrist wraps for a while and stopped for a few weeks and the pain came back. In the last 8 months, I got rid of almost all the pain by using two sets of wraps on my problem wrist. I think a good set of wrist wraps would have the same effect.

I find hammer curls, though not as effective as straight curls, focus a lot LESS on my wrist.

Hate doing straight out dumbbell or bb curls, hammer is only way I feel comfortable.

Wannabebig New Member
    I did a great work out on my biceps that didn't bother my wrist one bit. I also noticed something as i have been taking it easy on my right wrist. This is only my theory since I am not medically licensed, but here is my theory. Originally I thought it was my wrist, which I'm sure it was, but I believe I have found the cause for the problem. Since I have been healing, I have notice my wrist pain drastically reduced, and more focus of my pain around the mid-forearm section. I only feel discomfort if I turn my palm upside down (palm facing the ceiling). This leads me to believe that my forearm was not gaining as fast as my biceps, which caused me to injure myself. Now, if my forearm wasn't keeping up and it got injured, then that caused more pressure to be forced on my wrist. That's unneeded pressure where it doesn't belong. I am going to study more into this and see if I can prove this.

Wannabebig Member

Easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceCallThem View Post
    Sorry for the bump. But SO glad I found this.

I've had this experience for a couple weeks, and I think I'll switch to hammer curls and see how it goes.
    It seems like everybody is suffering from tendonitis which is a fancy word for inflammation of your tendons. The 'itis' actually means inflammed and it's due to repetitive motions. You need to ice the area in a massaging motion and take ibuprofen several times a day. Rest is the most beneficial, but c'mon now, not many of us would actually 'rest'....

You have to consider that it could also be tendonitis from your day job on a computer or too much using the computer in general and as well it could be carpal tunnel. Both can be temporary problems if treated correctly.

Wannabebig New Member

My God...

Maybe you guys can help me figure out what I have, because this thread is a breath of fresh air. I used to be an avid weightlifter whom did so constantly on a schedule for 5 straight years. I lifted heavy because of course i wanted to add size to my 5'8 116 lb. frame, which I successfuly did. I went up to over 190 lbs. and was ripped. I started at the age of 15.

Back in 1998 (1 was 21 years old), I started to feel a sharp pain on the outter part of my right wrist. I felt it the most when doing preacher curls with the straight bar. Then I started to feel it no matter what exercise I did. I took a week off here and there, hoping it would get better. It didn't. One day I felt a nerve from my wrist to my elbow which doing benchpresses. I stopped immediately then took more time off - this time, 2 months. I came back and tried again, but now the wrist/nerve pain went from my wrist, to my elbow and all the way to my shoulder. I had to slowly lower the barbell to my chest. I was holding 200 lbs on my chest and had to roll it off. It was scary. I decided it was time to take a long, long rest. I didn't want to return until this pain went away completely. 6 weeks after quitting, the left wrist started to feel the identical pain, less the nerve thing. I should mention that although I didn't feel pain in my fingers, they did seem to feel a little off at times (and they still do today). I thought this was very, very strange, considering I had stopped lifting weights altogether 6 weeks ago. Note that i tried the RICE thing (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) on my own and that didn't work either. I later discovered that the heat thing was better so I stopped this.

The fact that I got the problem in my right wrist first makes sense, since I'm right handed. I used to work in the meat department of a grocery store, often lifting meat boxes which weighed around 70 lbs.by the plastic straps, which required a narrow grip. I really see how awkward this type of lift was now. I did that for around 5 years. Around the 4th year, I really started to feel problems in my right wrist (and then of course my left). After being off of weight lifting and that job that helped destroy my passion for over 2 years, i decided I was going to wage a war on my wrists. I was sick and tired of feeling discomfort in both wrists while lifting anything over 10 lbs. this long after losing my passion of weight lifting went to my doctor and explained my issue. I went to physiotherapy for months, feeling relief only when my wrists were in the hot wax. I then had x-rays, a nerve conduction test, bone scan, cat-scan and finally an MRI. All tests could not explain my problem. I am now 33 years old, 12 years removed from weight lifting and I sometimes still feel mild discomfort randomly, although it is definately very mild. I can certainly tell that the problem is not gone.

I told my family doctor (whom I just obtained because I lost my other one 10 years ago to retirement) about the problem and stupid ****** told me there's nothing wrong (sorry, but I'm 100% there's something wrong with me. I can feel it, she can't). I know in my heart that I have damaged tendons and maybe ligaments that need surgery to be repaired. Even after surgery, there's almost a better than not chance that the problem will linger. I see some people say it's tendonitis, some say it's a separated joint, some say it's torn tendons.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I sorely miss weight lifting and would do almost anything to solve the problem.
    Last edited by KyprosEc; 01-23-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Wannabebig New Member

Wrist Pain

I happen to be a physician (radiologist) who lifts and also suffers from pain on the outside of my wrists from curls. I think it is from forced over-supination of the wrists that occurs with a straight barbell, and this stresses the interosseous membrane and syndesmosis between the distal radius and ulna.

For me, it certainly comes and goes, and I have to adapt my routine to compensate for this. The barbell for arm workouts is often the culprit. Although I haven't completely solved the problem for myself, I am trying to avoid using the straight bar and use an EZ bar or dumbbells instead, but I have found once I have a flare up, even the EZ bar is too much. Hammer curls or limited supination curls with dumbbells are then what I settle on. Triceps pullovers with the barbell really exacerbate the problem for me, so I've given these up entirely. I also don't do upright barbell rows because these tweak my wrists, too.

With dumbbells, I try to keep my wrists in a neutral position without much supination. I know this does limit the workout, but I think it is the only long term solution when I have a flare up.

Also, correct form will help somewhat. Concentrate on using correct form to exercise the bicep so that you don't use momentum from swaying your torso in an effort to max out how much weight you're using.

I haven't tried wrist straps but I'm going to.

One word of advice, though. Unless you go to a physician with very specific knowledge of the injuries from weightlifting, you won't get much of an answer. I guarantee that you will be told to rest the wrist and take ibuprofen, which is not necessarily wrong if there is acute or severe pain, but it doesn't answer any questions regarding resumption of lifting or long term solutions. Probably even most sports medicine docs and orthopods won't be able to help much. Also, x-rays and MRI's probably aren't going to tell you too much either.

Wannabebig New Member

Fixed (for me)

Wow this thread spans the years doesn't it? I too struggled with this problem for about 4 years. I have something for you all to try. I found that by using grip strengtheners (I use captains of crush), I have alleviated all of the pain. I always do a good warmup with the Ironmind Egg first. Then move to the trainers, then the #1's. I haven't felt a need to go beyond that but you can go quite high in the grip strength. I'm not promoting any specific company - I'm confident that any grip strengthening exercises would help but the ones I use are on this website captainsofcrushgrippers.com

Step 1. I stayed away from all curls until I could "click" the #1's for 4 sets of 8 (continue 3x a week)
    Step 2. I do a couple of grip warmup sets with the egg, then the trainers or #1 prior to curling exercise
    Step 3. I do my curls with the ez bar or dumbells

I can't explain why this works, but I'm assuming that all the tendons & muscles & what not that go through our wrists are strengthened enough to support the weight of the curl bar. I'm happy enough that this is working that I am not going to try to go heavier than 35's on the ez curl bar (~90ish pounds). I used to go much heavier, but having this issue fixed has made me realize that there is a point where it's heavy enough - enjoy it.
    Last edited by Flapinux; 12-14-2011 at 06:25 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I know this is a really old thread but it's the only one through plenty of research that has got my pain.
    I thought at first it could be nerve entrapment my ulnar and never thought I could be tendinitis because there is never any inflammation.
    There feels like a pulling sensation when I rotate palm upwards ad I have had this issue for nearly a year now been docs several time and they don't know what can I do I have also rested several times too and months intervals

Please help thanks

Wannabebig New Member
    Did you try what I said?

Wannabebig New Member
    Dear All,

It's marvelous that this thread can survive for half a decade. I know that some of you may go on your lives and some of you may leave the thread completely. But if someone out there who had experienced the same injury as mine, I'll be really appreciative if you can drop a line or two.

To make it short, I have a left wrist injury that resulted from the bench press. I can type, I can push, and Dr said it's tendonitis and I took medication for that. The pain is actually worst when I move my cuff as in corkscrew rotation. It's been 4 months and the pain is still there. I had X-ray and Dr couldn't diagnose. I had MRI scan and Dr couldn't pinpoint the problem, no bone abnormalities or whatever. Dr then asked me to go for MRI with contrast.

I stopped going for MRI then. So my question is if it's possible to heal the injury and the pain will go away eventually? I don't want to go for MRI with contrast. Meanwhile I stopped going to the gym.

Your input and experience will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Wannabebig Member

I know this post is old..but

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but thought someone might find this helpful.....I was having the same problem in both wrists and up my forearms, no doubt tendinitis, friend told me about this simple Velcro strap, adjustable, about an inch wide, can tighten it up as needed..where it somewhere on the forearm, above the sore part..local pharmacy sells them for tendinitis. you can wear it around the house, wherever......believe it or not, this thing works. I was at the point where it hurt to pick up a glass of water, and this thing worked. About two weeks, problems were gone. I'm not selling these things, don't even know what it is called, but they work. I've since lent them to people, and never got them back, but I'm gonna try to get new ones as I can fell it coming back again, several years later. Going heavier on upright rows and bicep curls, same thing that got me last time. Never learn I guess...

Wannabebig New Member
    Looking back at my experience, I did a combination of what everyone here suggests. I took a month off, I started back in with grip-strengthening exercises only to get the tendons prepared. I use wrist-supportive gloves & wraps & kept the weight light for a solid year before it felt normal and then I started increasing weights again. Slowly. Btw - you shouldn't have to have contrast in the MRI.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thank you guys. It's been 4 months and I'm worried if that pain doesn't heal itself. That's what I'm worried about. I'm done with X-ray and MRI and Dr still couldn't pinpoint the problem. I don't want to go for MRI with contrast. Some said "with contrast" means they will inject some form of chemical near the wrist and the tinkling sensation will be side-effect.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it. See how it goes after a few more months.

Wannabebig New Member
    I am not a weightlifter, so I apologize in advance if my response seems irrelevant. I have the same symptoms as the other posters in this topic. Pain when rotating the wrist, difficulty lifting, etc. My wrist pain started a few weeks ago and I thought I just strained it. A week's worth of babying the wrist seemed to help, and I have not done any heavy lifting with it since. However, the pain started again yesterday. I've put it in a wrist wrap, but the pain has gone from dull to sharp. Any ideas on what I should do?

Side note: I started a new job a few months back that requires me to lift 50 lb boxes occasionally. I don't think I hurt it while lifting because I had no onset of pain whenever I lifted. Also, the pain is near my thumb joint if that makes any difference.