Thread: Stopping short on incline

Stopping short on incline

Heres the deal, i want to do some heavy BB incline tomorrow, but i have a problem going all the way down. I CAN go all the way down, but when i do my shoudlers crack and pop like mad and cause discomfort so i refuse to put on 225 and blow my shoulders out, is it ok if i stop like 2 inches short of my chest? i personally still feel it. especially when going heavy.

And no, i dont want to do DB's lol.

thanks
    2000 or bust

If there is any discomfort why dont you swap out the exercise for something else? Chest dips or milli's if you can.

wags- dips dont touch my upper chest and i do them anyways in my chest day, and mili's are on shoulder day, i wanted specific upper chest work while using presses not flys, and to give flat bench a week off.
    2000 or bust

For incline work (and for close grip work for that matter) I prefer dumbells. I want a full range of motion more than I want to dick around with the damn bar trying to find a grip width that's comfortable to get all the way down.

But my benches blow so I have no problems challenging myself with sub 100 DBs.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

upper chest??

LOL

I had shoulder discomfor with flat BB benching, and just switched to dumbbells. For inclines, that would suck to get those in position, but it might be the way to go.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    upper chest??
    tuttut

C'mon Stump, you've been here for quite a while.
    Last edited by Tofer; 08-13-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Whatever, if he wants to hit his upper chest go for it. Stump I say stopping 2 inches short is fine if you still feel it gives you a good workout.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    Whatever, if he wants to hit his upper chest go for it. Stump I say stopping 2 inches short is fine if you still feel it gives you a good workout.

How do you hit your upper chest...considering that it does not exist?

There is no upper, lower, inner, or outer chest. There is only chest. There are a ton of threads on this. Type "upper chest" into the search function. Whether you do a dip or bench press the entire chest is worked. You may be able to focus slightly, very slightly on one part more than another...but not enough to achieve superior development and very likely not enough to achieve any gains (that you can see in the mirror).

And yes, stopping 2-3 inches short is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim

There is no upper, lower, inner, or outer chest. There is only chest. There are a ton of threads on this. Type "upper chest" into the search function. Whether you do a dip or bench press the entire chest is worked. You may be able to focus slightly, very slightly on one part more than another...but not enough to achieve superior development and very likely not enough to achieve any gains (that you can see in the mirror).

I agree with you, I was just saying I don't see the point in bringing up that played out debate when he was asking a simple question
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I think im going to have to disagree. You can definatly focus more on the clavical than sternal with inclines.

Stump, go for it, if you feel it then it must be working for you right?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

BACK TO TOPIC

Yes stopping shy of 2 inch should be ok

BTW: 225 on an incline is impressive man *thumbs up*

How much incline do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    Heres the deal, i want to do some heavy BB incline tomorrow, but i have a problem going all the way down. I CAN go all the way down, but when i do my shoudlers crack and pop like mad and cause discomfort so i refuse to put on 225 and blow my shoulders out, is it ok if i stop like 2 inches short of my chest? i personally still feel it. especially when going heavy.

And no, i dont want to do DB's lol.

thanks
    Listen you can get great results with "Partial Movements" so go do your half/threequarter movements, use heavy weights on machines and frames to save injury and work to failiar on low sets.
    Look up Partials on the net and learn

i did inclines with smith and stopped at about 2 inches, i tryed to hit and almost blew my right shoulder out.

and there IS AN UPPER CHEST. its called the clavical i believe, and i feel it being hit with incline work, regular 45 ish degree bench. flat bench almost hits my entire chest.

about the partial movements, i use them ALL THE TIME especially with flat bench, such as going to the chest and not locking out or going half rom, stress on the chest is considerable. i also like heavy squats partial for lockout and non-lockout SLDL's for hammy stress.
    2000 or bust

I don't do inclines, but I don't bring overhead presses down as far as possible. Leverage gets really bad at the bottom. Depending on the angle of the incline, I could see similar leverage problems. If you can more comfortably rep heavy weights through 80-90% of the ROM, but going 100% causes pain and a significant drop off in weight, well, obviously just use a slightly shorter ROM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp

and there IS AN UPPER CHEST. its called the clavical i believe, and i feel it being hit with incline work, regular 45 ish degree bench. flat bench almost hits my entire chest.

No there is not. This "clavical" is ONE of the heads of the pectoralis major. It is NOT a separate muscle and thus can not be worked separately by different exercises. What you "feel" is simply the stress placed on the same muscle (plus more anterior deltoid) from a different angle. Do a search on "upper chest" and you will find this has been said before and done to death. There is no upper chest. Period. There is only chest. Before continuing to debate me on this, it might be wise to do a search OR google the functions and structure of the pectoralis major.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-15-2006 at 12:00 AM.

Stump, the clavicle is a bone, it's not a muscle. The pectoralis major is one muscle altogether.

You can definatly focus more on the clavical head than the sternal. DUH you cant totally isolate any part of the muscle. Stump, yeah your good.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

No there is not. This "clavical" is ONE of the heads of the pectoralis major. It is NOT a separate muscle and thus can not be worked separately by different exercises. What you "feel" is simply the stress placed on the same muscle (plus more anterior deltoid) from a different angle. Do a search on "upper chest" and you will find this has been said before and done to death. There is no upper chest. Period. There is only chest. Before continuing to debate me on this, it might be wise to do a search OR google the functions and structure of the pectoralis major.
    im not here to argue, so please just stop. i never said there was an upper chest i want an exersize that will stress that head of the pec more and the incline presses i did with less rom worked thank you.
    2000 or bust