The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

I like guns.

ISO EVERYTHING... will it be effective?

Hey guys, I really only have 5 days a week to work-out (GYM) - 5 consecutive days. M T W Th F....

So I can't get a schedule to really be fulfilling enough, how about if I just isolate each group on each day.

Example: Mon - Tri , Tue - Back, Wed -Chest, Th - Bi, Fri - Shoulders....

I can do legs Sunday... from home.

Any comments, questions?
    Last edited by hooligan_media; 08-14-2006 at 11:59 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by hooligan_media
    Hey guys, I really only have 5 days a week to work-out (GYM) - 5 consecutive days. M T W Th F....

So I can't get a schedule to really be fulfilling enough, how about if I just isolate each group on each day.

Example: Mon - Tri , Tue - Back, Wed -Chest, Th - Bi, Fri - Shoulders....

I can do legs Sunday... from home.

Any comments, questions?
    I have a question. What do you mean with this statement "I can't get a schedule to really be fulfilling enough.." You have six days (counting Sunday) to work out on. Even five days would be more than enough.

You don't really need to give biceps and triceps their own day each. Put them with chest and back respectively. Put shoulders with legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim
    You don't really need to give biceps and triceps their own day each. Put them with chest and back respectively. Put shoulders with legs.
    that's my basic body part scheduling right there
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

mon upper tues lower wed off thurs upper fri lower sat off sun off.

That was easy.

Can you only do one exercise a day or something?

I like guns.
    I'm just asking if it's effective.

yes/no. maybe?

Effective at what? Teaching your body to use faulty movement patterns? Yep!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Unless you've been lifting for a few years you should not train more than 4 days in a week and have 3 rest days a week. I do a 4 day split that gives me 3 rest days. Rest days are every bit as important as lifting days. First you tear the muscle, then your body repairs it.
    Lift and rest.
    You may think its ok to workout 6 days a week if you work each muscle directly only once a week, but your central nervous system can also be overtrained.
    You asked about isolation, there's one aspect of weight training where isolation is an absolute necessity - rest.
    Religious people only get one day of rest a week, I'm three times as lucky.

You want something fulfilling? Do Bill Starr's or Madcow's 5x5. It's only 3 days a week but hits your full body each time. You'll be in the gym around an hour each time.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Effective, no, not really...not if you want any significant size or strength gains.

upper/lower off upper/lower off off is what I'd do too.

I like guns.
    Ooooh finally answers! Thanks guys! Malkore, Anthony, JConrad... good stuff.
    * I don't want a full body a day workout though.

I don't want a full body a day workout though.
    You should.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Ooooh finally answers! Thanks guys! Malkore, Anthony, JConrad... good stuff.
    * I don't want a full body a day workout though.
    Why not?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Because that would be efficient and highly illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    Because that would be efficient and highly illegal.
    Hahaha

ok, no full body..how abotu upper one day, day off, then lower, day off, upper, day off, lower, day off/repeat.

it takes a long time trainee to reach a point where single muscle groups per day is actually effective.

you'll get better results hitting the right amount of volume at the right frequency (basically as soon as you're recovered). thus hitting each major muscle group 2-3x a week is better.

and compound exercises with free weights is always better than crappy isolation machines, provided you don't have some medical problem/injury that requires isolation exercises.

I like guns.
    You're right Malkore. That does sound good, it's just the days that are more comfortable to my schedule @ the gym are Mon-Fri. and I'd feel crappy missing out on Tues or Thurs b/c those are days I can be working out.

Yes I do use free weights 95% of the time, sometimes I'll do machine flies and free weight flies. I'll use machines for a warm up set or for my last set which is to fatigue.

No full body workouts b/c isn't it better to just focus more on certain groups on certain days... and etc.

if you have already made up your mind to work out 5 consecutive days a week, what's the point of asking for our inputs? haha.

Is working out each muscle a day for 5 days a week effective? Yes, compare to people who doesn't workout much or workout at all. But is it a better split? probably not.

I like guns.
    haha, wow. hey everyone, it's a bunch of rude internet people. I've been working out for 2 years, probably the same as most people on this board.

All I was asking was this: Is it more effective to just isolate each muscle group...as compared to the compound movements most do? Very simple question...

See you can answer it in 3 ways : Yes, maybe state why.. or No, OR Depends, and if you want, give an example.

Since some of you can't handle that kind of process, it makes me wonder how you even function day-to-day.

that's the sad part about this board, most of the time when someone asks a question... it's followed up with 2-4 useless off-topic questions or a bucket load of supposed adults acting like a bunch of children, or worse, idiots.

Not to end on the negative, I really appreciate the civilized answers I got from my very very simple question.

No

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    All I was asking was this: Is it more effective to just isolate each muscle group...as compared to the compound movements most do? Very simple question...

No. Think about it. Which is more likely to give you bigger arms? (A) Doing tricep extentions and bicep curls with say 70 and 50 lbs respectively, OR (B) doing 275 lb bench presses and 400 lb deadlifts? Given a good diet and plenty of rest both will add size, but (B) is more likely to happen since you are placing far more stress on your entire body. The body grows as a whole therefore a bigger body equals bigger arms.

haha, wow. hey everyone, it's a bunch of rude internet people. I've been working out for 2 years, probably the same as most people on this board.
    Search first next time, it was a question that most people with even the slightest interest in weightlifting would know the answer to. Not trying to be rude, just telling it like it is.

I believe people have already answered your question numerous time. Some didn't say it directly but it had been answered and some even offered their advice to why you should change it.

Song..: "You don't really need to give biceps and triceps their own day each. Put them with chest and back respectively. Put shoulders with legs."

Blood..: "mon upper tues lower wed off thurs upper fri lower sat off sun off.

That was easy."

Ant..: "Effective at what? Teaching your body to use faulty movement patterns? Yep!"

You can refer to post #6, #7, and #8. They already answered your question. and told you why.

Also, i think everybody was being pretty nice to you. Rude? you haven't seen nothing yet.