The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Soca King

What is the colon responsible for

In reading what Tree Trunks said about Gyno Rhino in my other thread in the training forum.TT said that G.Rhino can't bodybuild any more and that he got his entire colon removed.So my question is What is the colon responsible for in terms of bodybuilding?An answer to enlighten me will be appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

He'll theoretically be able to lift again after 6 weeks. He'll just have a big midline abdominal incision to heal. I'm assuming he doesn't have an ileostomy (It's like a colostomy but it's the small intestine instead of the colon dumping into a bag). Can't remember if he has Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis- I think it's UC. That would be the better of the two, because Crohn's can affect the small intestine down the road.

The colon absorbs water out of what's dumped into it so that your stools aren't liquid. When you've got diarrhea it's because stuff is moving through the colon so fast that all the water can't get absorbed. Somebody that has had the entire colon removed sometimes has a J-pouch formed at the end of the small intestine to provide a larger reservoir for waste. The J-pouch is sewn to the anus so you can have BM's instead of having an ileostomy. You end up having about 6-15 BM's a day, whether it's into the ileostomy bag or out the anus. Not optimal, but it sure beats what he had going on before.

yeah Gyno said he has an ileostomy bag. He said it would be pointless to bodybuild again because of the way protein would not be able to be absorb properly. Of course last time I talked he was kinda out of it couldn't remember dates and so forth. He has had a lot of trouble his cathader in his neck got infected and infected his blood and heart and his temp. got up to 105.5 degrees and they threw him in an ice bath. Glen, Gyno, also mentioned something about the doctors originally said his colon looked likr a 7 but after the surgery the gastro intestional doctor said it was an 11 was the worst he had ever seen. I'm not exactly sure what those numbers meant, sounds bad though. maybe one of the docs on the site can help shed some light on the situation? Thanks.

bone crusher
    hey tt, im not a physician but my uncle had crohn's. It actually appeared in college at about 20 years old. The numbers could refer to the degree of swelling or inflammation, i dont know but delphi probably does. Not everyone has it as bad a gyno, my uncle was able to have small sections of his colon removed until he was around 55 when he passed away from rectal cancer. Ironicly, he was to be scheduled to have the rest of his colon resected when they found the cancer. If he had the surgery this quickly after discovering it, it must be severely inflamed

That would make sense about the numbers, rating how inflammed someting is. He's had it pretty rough lately. He says he is feeling a lot better, when his morphine machine works. Yeah after surgery he had a morphine drip and the machine broke down for like 2-3 hours.

Please don't find my curiosity rude or insensitive, but I was wondering how he contracted the condition?

The doctors were trying to give an idea of how bad the inflammation was, on a scale of 1 to 10. There's no official rating scale that uses those numbers. Did they remove his anus? If the anal sphincter and its nerves were spared he can go back to have the ileostomy taken down and the J-pouch (or W-pouch) constructed. Sometimes they'll do the colon resection and make the J-pouch at the same time, but divert the fecal stream with the ileostomy. Once they know the J-pouch has healed they can then just go back and take down the ileostomy. That's an easy procedure- you just score around the stoma, pull up the intestine, and staple or sew it shut. Don't even need a midline incision.

Here's a storyboard of the full-blown colectomy with J-pouch anastomosis. THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH. The top row of buttons are mainly the colon resection. It is difficult to visualize where in the abdominal cavity they are. The last button on the right on the top row is where they start making the J-pouch. This is what I wanted y'all to see.

Here's a good website maintained by a guy that had the surgery himself.

Here's an excellent site that diagrams the surgery more clearly than the Vesalius site.

Here's a good narrative of the surgical options.

Here's a good FAQ site. It has a link to an excellent set of diagrams on making a W-pouch.

My dad had Ulcerative Colitis and had to get his colon removed. After the first surgery he had a pouch and they waited for about 4 weeks for him to heal. then he had his second surgery where they attached the small intestine to his anus. His body is no longer able to absorb as much as it used to. he had an extreme amount of pain and depression after the surgery. It has gotten better but he still has a lot pain after each BM. It is a very nasty operation for some people. it has been about 3-4 months since he has had the operation and he is still not 100%. he weighs in at about 125lbs from 150lbs preoperation. hopefully my dad will fully recover.

If anyone knows gyno try to be a good friend and when he is ready take him out and make him feel good. be at his side and cheer him up. sometimes people feel they are no longer normal and feel handicapped because of their lack of a colon.

And if anyone talks to Gyno tell him i said i hope he feels better. I really feel for him.
    Sweat in time of peace, bleed less in time of war.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    poor guy, let's all show our support for him

Gyno is my best friend. I've known him since we were in middle school. I visit him quite often but he said they docs want to restrict visitation b/c of risk of infection and during the day when they're giving him all sorts of pain killers and such he gets out of it he doesn't even realize anyone is in the room. I'm not sure if they took the anus or not, all he said was they remove his entire colon. He said in about 3 months he'll have another surgery, he didn't say about what though. He said he has lost about 25-30 lbs. But he still looks pretty big. Take him out? That will probably be a long time till that. But I plan to go over to his house and bring over some DVD's. He said he might not be able to fully sit up ever again. Thanks for the info delphi! I'll check out those links here in a minute. Its great to have an actually doctor on this site!

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to Gyno.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference... The Marines don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan - 1985

TreeTrunks,

If you haven't already done so, check out the second website in Delphi's post, the one about the guy that had the surgery. I don't know if Gyno's situation is similar, but the encouraging thing is that this guy said that within six months after his surgery, he was able to do everything he could do before he got sick. I hope the same is true for Gyno. Give him my best wishes.

Thing with gyno is that he said he'd pretty much have to quit bbing because his body would not be able to fully digest all the protein he would be consuming, it would be a waste. He's also been thinking about how he has taken BBing too seriously and been selfish. He said he needed to "concentrate on the journey not the destination" He said he was looking for another hobby.

maybey we should set something up where people can send him a few dollars to help with the hospital bills and mayby get him some dvds, I really feel sad about him giving up BBing, I wouldnt know what to do with myself if I lost it

Don't worry about Gyno and hospital bills. His parents are loaded!!!! They have a HUGE house sitting in the middle of 3-4 acres. There hose is probably 6000 square feet.