The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

USAPL and Equipment

Does anybody know if the USAPL is a raw federation or not? I looked in their rulebook but didn't see anything at first glance. The reason I'm asking is that I've been looking at the NC Junior PLing records for my weight class and was trying to figure out if they were equipped or not. I've got 4yrs to break them, and I'm confident I will, but was just wondering if I would be shooting for all raw lifting or not.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The USAPL allows single ply equipment for all 3 lifts. They also allow knee wraps, wrist wraps and belts. They have a bit stricter rules as far as how you can squat and bench. No real way of making the deadlift any tougher than it already is.

They don't use a monolift for squatting. You have to walk it out, lock your knees before starting and completely lock your knees out at the top, on top of making sure you hit a very very low depth.

The bench, you can't bench below your diaphragm or lower part of the sternum. No belly benching, essentially. They still pause just about as long as anybody else. You have wait for the press command.

I think that's all the major points.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

There is no press command in the usapl
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Oh. My bad. Learn something new everyday.
    What is elite?

We'll let it slide this time.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 08-16-2006 at 02:59 PM.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Does the USAPL also require your feet to be flat on the ground for benching?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yea and if you show any signs of strain or if sweat drips off of you, you get red-lighted.

I hate their bench rules. They don't tell you to press, which is absurd. The fact thaat your feet have to be flat is ridiculous as well. I lifted my head once while benching in state-level USAPL meet and was red-lighted. That's just wrong.

As for the squats, I hope you're flexible.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Also, be prepared to hold your deadlift at the top for about 2 minutes, and if you speak at all during the meet you're banned for 1 year.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    I think I'll be avoiding this federation like the plague when I start competing.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Well damn. I suppose my form and technique will just have to be THAT good.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Well damn. I suppose my form and technique will just have to be THAT good.
    I'm sure you'd do fine.

There does seem to be an air of superiority about USAPL for some reason.... I don't know why that is, but it's probably because there is the IPF and being the only fed in the US that has a legitimate "World Championship" event.... That's not to say anything negative at all about anyone affiliated with USAPL because I've met many IPF lifters who were some of the best people ever.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Lift where you are happy lifting.

I like that the USAPL has strict performance standards, although I do wish they had a 'Press' command. I have no problem with requiring your feet be flat. The holier than thou attitude is a turnoff... I'd be much happier if we could just encourage people to get strong and show it, and keep in mind there are differences in performance standards when comparing lifts across federations.

I'm just as happy to see a 1100 APF squat as I am to see an 850 USAPL squat - they are different lifts, but both impressive.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Lift where you are happy lifting.

I like that the USAPL has strict performance standards, although I do wish they had a 'Press' command. I have no problem with requiring your feet be flat. The holier than thou attitude is a turnoff... I'd be much happier if we could just encourage people to get strong and show it, and keep in mind there are differences in performance standards when comparing lifts across federations.

I'm just as happy to see a 1100 APF squat as I am to see an 850 USAPL squat - they are different lifts, but both impressive.
    My sentiments exactly. Good post.
    What is elite?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Paul, I agree with that as well.

I have just personally seen lifts turned down in the USAPL(done by people I never met) that just should not be turned down. It just bothers me.

The USAPL and IPF have some of the most talented lifters in the world competing in them though.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

It's going to happen... just like there are lifts that do get passed that shouldn't
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

USAPL is just IPF rules is it not? Similar to the Canadian Powerlifting Union. I also like it since the form is pretty strict. Some feds that allow everything except the spotters pulling the weight off you as an advantage, I don't see as enticing. But that's just me.

I'd rather err on the strict side than the loose side. It makes the totals a little bit more consistently comparable across the board.

I've been out of it for awhile, but from what I remember, there was some serious debate on bringing back the "press" command. From what I remember of the process though, it's a big pain in the arse to get any IPF rules changed.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 08-18-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer