The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

bicep strength progress

just wondering how much progress you make as far as strength with biceps. i was taking a look at my journal and noticed that i'm doing pretty much the same amount of weight that I was doing almost two months ago. Is this normal? I've been making pretty good gains on everything else so i'm not sure why my strength isn't going up with those lifts. Only reason i'm not too worried is because I don't really care about biceps that much, I think people think too highly of something that doesn't do that much for you. But i'm wondering if my lackluster effort is what is keeping me from seeing any progress.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how does your training split look like? set/rep range?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Time to mix it up if you haven't changed the weight in 2 months.

Unless your diet and routine aren't up to par.

errr
    monday - chest/tris
    tuesdays - legs/core
    wednesday - shoulders/bis
    and then the process repeats itself

i'll give you my workout from today to give you an idea..

BB Curl
    3 sets x 95 x 5 reps

Alternating DB Curl (I pause at the top of the rep until the other arm is done with the rep)
    40 x 6 - each arm
    45 x 5
    50 x 4

errr dunno the name of this one I just do it because it hits the inner part of my biceps... I keep my elbow tucked in a and hands out wide
    3 sets x 30 x 8 reps

I never do the same workout twice during a week so my next bicep workout consists of preacher curls, hammer curls, and concentration curls. three sets each

I know my diet is fine, not perfect, but fine.. i'm making good progress with everything else. so I guess my bicep workouts just aren't cutting it
    Last edited by dblockspky; 08-16-2006 at 05:03 PM.

I'm sure you are working your back also.. you just have forgotten to post it right?

sorry.. back is part of core. core means back and abs. sorry i should of clarified that i guess

If you work your forearms more, you will then notice a increase of strength in your biceps. Surprisingly a lot of people don't know that. More strength in forearms= bigger biceps.

hmmm... training your biceps also works your forearms so is there any need to really put an emphasis on forearms when it gets work from bicep workouts and other lifts throughout the week?

as with everything else i don't do the same workout twice during a week.. tuesdays normally look as follows for back:

deadlifts: 4-5 sets
    Seated Rows: 3-4 sets
    and the last set is either DB Rows or Iso Hi Pulls on the HS machine or whatever it is. no matter how high or low the reps i tend to not feel DB rows so I don't do them too much

my next leg day the back workout looks like so:
    weighted pull ups: 4-5 sets
    Back extensions with a 35 or 45 plate in hand: 3 sets
    Lat bar pull downs: 3 sets
    Iso lateral Hi Pull Downs: 3 sets.

so yea thats it pretty much.

Doing legs and back together might be a bit much. How about maybe doing chest with bis, shoulders with legs, and back with tris?

Where are your rest days? Perhaps you are overtraining, and because the bicep is one of the smallest muscles, maybe its the first muscle to start to fatigue. I would add a rest day between your 3 day workout, so you do 3 on and one off.
    Hammer curls are great for biceps, because they also work the forarms more than any other type of bicep isolation excercise, and this in turn will strengthen your biceps.
    IMO the hammer curl is the best isolation excercise of them all.

errr.. Built i dunno.
    i like to do pushing muscles on one day and pulling on another. with my shoulders/bis day being the exception. I also like to do the compound movement and then the isolation movements for the muscles involved in that lift on the same day. it never made sense for me to break it up on to separate days. and on a personal note I don't think I would have time to break it up with my work schedule and everything I have going on. and doing those two on the same day never gave me too much stress. I've never felt like I was overtraining.
    Would that help my bicep progress though?
    Last edited by dblockspky; 08-16-2006 at 06:26 PM.

well my rest days vary. At the beginning of the week my rest day is Sunday. However since I work a lot and sometimes after work I can get home and sleep the rest of the day, my rest day can vary. I may take off wednesday and then just push my workouts down one day OR just skip that day altogether and only train that group once that week. That's why I like the way I lift. If i broke everything up and did chest on one day and tris on another then if I ever have to skip a tris day, it will be detrimental to my bench because my chest had progress from the week before my but my tris didn't(even though I know the tris get hit during bench). I like to make sure that when I eventually do a compound lift, there is no reason for the whole lift to not be up to par, because one muscle group of the required total is lagging behind

Well, if you do chest with bis, shoulders with legs, and back with tris, you'll hit bis when they're fresh on chest day, then again with back - so instead of raping them once a week, you'll give them more frequent stimulation, which is often helpful, especially for natty lifters. Same goes for tris - they'll get a hit on shoulder day, then another one with chest when they're not being destroyed for the primary compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    hmmm... training your biceps also works your forearms so is there any need to really put an emphasis on forearms when it gets work from bicep workouts and other lifts throughout the week?
    Well, you have different muscles in the forearms and you work more of the positive side when you perform dumbbell curls. Like if you did negative barbell curls, it would work the longer part of your bicep. I do positive curls too, but not as much as negative. I think it gives you a fuller look to your biceps. That's why, I think you see a lot of baseball size biceps, because they dont do enough negative bicep curls. I think I'm right, but correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Positive and negative bicep curls?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Bull
    If you work your forearms more, you will then notice a increase of strength in your biceps. Surprisingly a lot of people don't know that. More strength in forearms= bigger biceps.
    nobody could know this because its not true, stronger forearms may increase your lifts, but it wont make your biceps stronger, thats like doing a calf raise an saying it makes your neck stronger - different muscles

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    nobody could know this because its not true, stronger forearms may increase your lifts, but it wont make your biceps stronger, thats like doing a calf raise an saying it makes your neck stronger - different muscles
    comparing 2 totally unrelated muscles makes no sense to comparing foreams and bi's.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    It depends how you're working the forearm. If you're doing a heavy forearm curl with a dumbbell, your bicep is going to be under quite a bit of stress throughout the entire movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Well, if you do chest with bis, shoulders with legs, and back with tris, you'll hit bis when they're fresh on chest day, then again with back - so instead of raping them once a week, you'll give them more frequent stimulation, which is often helpful, especially for natty lifters. Same goes for tris - they'll get a hit on shoulder day, then another one with chest when they're not being destroyed for the primary compounds.
    This is excellent advice

thanks built. i guess i'll see how it works