Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Pro Bodybuilders Run?

Wannabebig Member
    i see what your saying 17 i think they might but i doubt it because there muscles probably haven't gotten any speed work in a while and the muscles have adjusted and become slow. since lifting is not done that explosively if he ran about as fast as a normal man i would be surprised. it would be like saying lance armstrong has a higher vertical leap than somebody because he does a lot of bike work. Although i see were your coming from. if he was that athletic though he would be on worlds stongest man making even more money.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    1) as somebody who does track you should know that long jump is completely different from vertical jump
    2) I could have swore the topic of the thread was PRO BODYBUILDERS lol where's all this ronnie coleman concentration come from
    3) your long jump may not have gotten better but i'm positive your vertical did
    4) as someobdy that did track you should of known better than two gain 40 pounds and expect the same results

and if you want to talk about ronnie then fine. he clearly does not have the body type to be running a lot. he'd probably pass out after a couple sprints. but could he bust out one big one... probably. i dunno about ronnie colemans vertical ability but i'm refering to bodybuilders in general talking and their vert and what not. ronnie coleman is not your typical bodybuilder.. obviously
    Arnie used to run quite a bit. I already said that. So some bodybuilders probably do run.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I don't know about BBers today, but there were quite a few pros who ran regularly.

Was kind of flash-in-the-pan BBer, but Vince Comerford ran and he was as thick a guy as ever competed in the IFBB.

Kevin Levrone had a pretty publicized race with a world class sprinter. I'm sure someone posted about it here and a search might turn it up, but he did all right for just a regular dude trying to sprint against someone in the top 10 in the world.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

My guess is bodybuilders run in their early stages to build up their legs//calves, but after they start getting huge they probably cut it down. just my guess.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Quote Originally Posted by jed
    My guess is bodybuilders run in their early stages to build up their legs//calves, but after they start getting huge they probably cut it down. just my guess.
    Running would be a waste of time if you are trying to gain mass in your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by seK
    I know that if you sprint 40's, that will actually help you build muscle mass in your legs.

And why, exactly?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Bull
    I know that if you sprint 40's, that will actually help you build muscle mass in your legs.
    Maybe your whole body, not just legs, I would think.
    Somewhere there is a little girl warming up with your max...

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Bull
    You are right I should have distinguished between long distance running and any type of sprinting. I usually just assume when someone says running they are implying distance training. I do stand by my statement thought that as a means to gain mass in your legs running any substantial distance would be a waste in comparison to other means.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    And why, exactly?
    short sprints have been proven to build muscle in your legs. some leg programs recommend that once a week you do a couple of sprints which will builds your hamstrings more in addition to any other isolation hamstring exercises

short sprints have been proven to build muscle in your legs. some leg programs recommend that once a week you do a couple of sprints which will builds your hamstrings more in addition to any other isolation hamstring exercises
    Do you have any links to these studies; they seem like an interesting read. Also what exactly constitutes a "couple of sprints".

Well, yes, which is why I addressed the question to, um, not you.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I actually DO have a reference which says that in a small booklet that had workouts for strength training that came with a jump/speed training package. but i'm NOT going to go look for it as I haven't used the program in years.

a couple of sprints ranges from 5-10 sets of approx. 50 meters.

you actually interested or just trying to see if I know what i'm talking about?

hmmm
    last time I checked your post didn't have anyone's name in it therefore you didn't address it to anybody.
    also last time I checked it was a forum, meaning I can post whenever the hell I want haha. isn't it beautiful? if you don't my reply.. don't read it

I actually DO have a reference which says that in a small booklet that had workouts for strength training that came with a jump/speed training package. but i'm NOT going to go look for it as I haven't used the program in years.

a couple of sprints ranges from 5-10 sets of approx. 50 meters.

you actually interested or just trying to see if I know what i'm talking about?
    No I actually wanted to read the references you found this information in.

hmmm
    last time I checked your post didn't have anyone's name in it therefore you didn't address it to anybody.
    also last time I checked it was a forum, meaning I can post whenever the hell I want haha. isn't it beautiful? if you don't my reply.. don't read it
    Okay, this is getting bizarre, but I quoted Sek and directly asked him the question.

ok i'm sorry

Do you have any links to these studies; they seem like an interesting read. Also what exactly constitutes a "couple of sprints".
    Here's a couple of links to feed your mind.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tomgreen.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phil3.htm