The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Do Pro Bodybuilders Run?

I never see the huge pro bodybuilders run at all. Does Ronnie Coleman, go jogging or what?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i'll give him a call and ask him
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I saw him on some StairMaster thing in one of his videos. I think he's too big to run. Arnie used to run a lot.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    I saw him on some StairMaster thing in one of his videos. I think he's too big to run. Arnie used to run a lot.
    Jay Leno had Ronnie on his show via satellite link. He was at the beach and he raced this other guy, he actually did run.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    Jay Leno had Ronnie on his show via satellite link. He was at the beach and he raced this other guy, he actually did run.
    REALLY!! I gotta see this video or clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Bull
    REALLY!! I gotta see this video or clip.
    He ran in scuba fins and fell down a whole lot. It was pretty entertaining. It's online somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    He didn't run. He tripped like 3 times and then fell on his face. That's not running. He was incredibly slow compared to the other guy. It didn't help that they were wearing fins on their feet.

To big(muscular) to go jogging, that's the funnest thing I have ever heard. At least one of the funnest things.
    Please explain the humor. I'd love to read it.

To big(muscular) to go jogging, that's the funnest thing I have ever heard. At least one of the funnest things.

What's funny about that? Endurance activities tend to convince the body to drop muscle to become more efficient.

Running will burn too much muscle. Most do low intensity cardio for long periods (ie. walking on a treadmill for 45-60 minutes) or HIIT.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Large bodybuilders tend not to run that much because it's hard on their joints.

A lot do a ton of cardio though -- eliptical, incline treadmill, etc.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I know most body builders have a normal weight and then a competition weight. during that period while trying to make commpetition weight they probably do cardio which includes running.. maybe not. but like mentioned above.. even though those guys are huge, with the muscles they have in their wheels they probably can beat most normal people in a sprint and probably have a significantly higher vertical than anybody in general

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    with the muscles they have in their wheels they probably can beat most normal people in a sprint and probably have a significantly higher vertical than anybody in general
    No? All that weight is hard on their joints and it makes them slower. Sprinting would not be in their best interest. And I don't see a 300 pound guy outrunning a conditioned runner of much less weight.

Yes? it doesn't matter. their pound for pound strength makes up for that. and joint problems that may occur.. is why you don't see them running all the time. and even so I doubt joint problems would be a problem. Anybody benching over 600 and squating over 800 clearly has any joint issues in check. and I am completely positive about the vertical aspect, because not only is it logical, i happened to look at an article recently specifically about how the top bodybuilders have good verts, some, even higher than some basketball players

The joint strain for a one-rep max is hardly the same as it is from the repetitive pounding of distance running.

I squat more than I weigh on a regular basis. But my body kills me when I jog.

I have never read a single article that describes bodybuilders as having excellent vertical leaps.

Weightlifters, yes. Bodybuilders? No.

Built: Do you jog on your heels? Ever try Pose running?

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

ugh i hate when I read something and can't remember what it was from.
    well.. 1 persons misfortune can't be the standard. think about how many NFL players are squating twice and triple their body weight and go out and sprint every day with no joint problems.
    and just think about what you're saying.
    ask any person who is an expert in combine training or basketball training or whatever, what exercises help you jump higher.
    they will quick to tell you a whole bunch of variations of squats, calf raises, and other redundant jumping drills. Now while bodybuilders don't do a whole bunch of jumping they DO participate in the other to forms.. at a much higher volume than others. So event without evidence it only makes sense that they'd have a good vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by dblockspky
    Now while bodybuilders don't do a whole bunch of jumping they DO participate in the other to forms.. at a much higher volume than others. So event without evidence it only makes sense that they'd have a good vertical.
    No, it doesn't. The highest jumpers in the world have high proportions of fast twitch muscles and excellent power to weight ratio. High maximal strength is less correlated with jumping ability.

Football lineman work on explosive strength all of the time with weights and drills. It's no surprise that they can jump higher than one might expect.

ugh i hate when I read something and can't remember what it was from.
    well.. 1 persons misfortune can't be the standard. think about how many NFL players are squating twice and triple their body weight and go out and sprint every day with no joint problems.
    and just think about what you're saying.
    The topic isn't NFL players. It's Ronnie Coleman. And you're assuming they never have joint problems.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-16-2006 at 06:39 PM.

actually the topic is pro bodybuilders lol.
    some do.. but not as much as you're trying to make it seem.

ok you guys win lol the 17 year old obviously isn't going to persuade anybody.

Trust me man, I was a very good long-jumper in highschool track, almost reaching 20 feet my freshman year. This last season, which ended in June, was much different for me since I had been lifting weights. Sure I had gotten much stronger and I thought I would break 21 or 22 feet, but I had also gained about 40 lbs since last year, and for that whole year I had trained with deadlifts, and squats, and such, not explosive excercises and sprints and stuff. I barely made 19 feet this last year. After my experience I can definitely say Pro Bodybuilders are not built for sprinting or jumping.

Also, don't forget, just picture in your head how big around Ronnie's legs are. Now picture him jogging down the road, with those massive trees rubbing together. He probably gets some major chafing just walking around during the day. I know during track I had some bad chafing rash's because my legs are so big and rub like crazy.
    Last edited by Invain; 08-16-2006 at 07:43 PM.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Wannabebig Member
    i see what your saying 17 i think they might but i doubt it because there muscles probably haven't gotten any speed work in a while and the muscles have adjusted and become slow. since lifting is not done that explosively if he ran about as fast as a normal man i would be surprised. it would be like saying lance armstrong has a higher vertical leap than somebody because he does a lot of bike work. Although i see were your coming from. if he was that athletic though he would be on worlds stongest man making even more money.