The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    why is this a bad thing?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Fatness or Communism?
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Actually I'm a *bit* with Zach on this one. Democracy where the majority is able to make decisions causes an alienation of the minority. In fact even in our democracy we have certain things that the Democracy can not easily override (ie Constitution and Amendments).
    Just about every time a law is made a freedom/liberty of some sort is thrown out the window. It wouldn't be such a problem if there were some process actively abolishing laws but to be honest this process really doesn't exist.
    I love living in a Representative Republic, don't you? People trot out "democracy" for emotional appeal even though it isn't very applicable to reality. This Zach character seems very much from that camp.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Wow go to China and see how you like it, I assume you think Communism is great too?
    One of the dumbest things ive ever herd on this forum
    Don't let it anger you. He was the same guy who posted the article that "proved" WTC was brought down by controlled demolition. His grasp on reality is...questionable.

D'Anconia,

Please don't tell me the fact the poeple are eating like pigs on democracy....

Your kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Yes, definately. It is well documented that among concentration camps during WWII, that many, many obese prisoners simply could not lose weight despite extremely restricted caloric intake...

....Just to be clear, I wasn't serious and I'm sorry if anyone finds it offensive.

Im sure they did lose weight, 90% of it being muscle.

I dont want to come out looking like **** and benching 95lbs just to say I tip the scales under 200lbs.

Yeah I don't know how this went from fatness to democracy. We'll save the politics for those political threads.

BTW 8ball you might want to recheck the wording in your post...
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 08-17-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Yeah I don't know how this went from fatness to democracy. We'll save the politics for those political threads.

BTW 8ball you might want to recheck the wording in your post...
    It changed when Zach the Conspirator equated leanness to democracy. In any case, I think more people should start eating sushi.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 08-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Its also largely attributed (the fatness) to the North American fast foods and refined foods being imported all over the world....

I'll try and see if I can hunt up a study that was about asians in British Columbia that showed they had a 7X greater likelihood and incidence of heart attacks/disease than their counterparts back in Asia. The study stated that alot of it was due to alot of the people back in asia were poorer and as such they ate mainly vegetables, rice, fish and very little meat and NO fast foods... Once in North America, they were like kids in a candy store and their diets changed for the worst....

Anyways, interesting thread...

Oh, and Jordon, your analogy of the concentration camp victims is exactly what I say to a very fat person who 'cant' lose weight.. 'I never saw anyone in Aushwitz who was fat'. Of course for a large power lifter, its a very fine balancing act...

Peace out...
    Last edited by MantiXX; 08-17-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Once again, while the fat people who went into Aushwitz did lose weight THE MAJORITY OF THE WEIGHT WAS MUSCLE.

I'd wrather keep the fat I have then lose muscle to see results on the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Once again, while the fat people who went into Aushwitz did lose weight THE MAJORITY OF THE WEIGHT WAS MUSCLE.

It's very possible to lose mostly fat and not much muscle, even rapidly. Learn from Organichu. You didn't reply to a sinle part of the question I asked you earlier.

^Hahahhaha would have spared yourself some criticism if you had made sure to state that earlier. I know what you mean though, this "zig-zag" approach of bulks and cuts requires a shatload of patience if you are to maintain and increase muscle.
    I always want to do a steep diet but then that will just negate the work I did during the cut.

Anyway you considered losing weight before bulking when you first started right? I mean it's amost too late now...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by MantiXX
    Its also largely attributed (the fatness) to the North American fast foods and refined foods being imported all over the world....

I'll try and see if I can hunt up a study that was about asians in British Columbia that showed they had a 7X greater likelihood and incidence of heart attacks/disease than their counterparts back in Asia. The study stated that alot of it was due to alot of the people back in asia were poorer and as such they ate mainly vegetables, rice, fish and very little meat and NO fast foods... Once in North America, they were like kids in a candy store and their diets changed for the worst....
    It's pretty well documented that a number of diseases (ie: cardiovascular disease, many types of cancer, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, etc.) are linked to the Western diet.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Are you doing the 6 small meals per day, whole foods, complex carbs, lean protein, workout 4x/week, cardio on days off, etc? I'm just curious.

I've actually worked out 5 times a week from january to about 3 months ago when I switched to BGB and was doing a M,T,TH,F lifting schedule.

Whole foods, um yes...

Lean protein would chicken breast, PB, tuna, turkey, steak and protein powder be good enough?? I've ate alot of those types of things

Cardio on off days, no... but lifting 5 times a week and working a 40 hour week doing physical labor should be enough.

To be honest, I gave it a real effort for about 3-5 weeks and did lose weight... maybe 10 pounds but that was strict balls to the wall tracking EVERYTHING keeping cals from 1500-2200 which drove me nuts sometimes and not cheating at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    It's very possible to lose mostly fat and not much muscle, even rapidly. Learn from Organichu. You didn't reply to a sinle part of the question I asked you earlier.

Organichu was a special case. He stayed on the program for relatively short ammount of time and had high protein in his diet with weight training involved.

How many people in concentration camps had weight sets and protein powder?? If they got 500 calories a day they were lucky... your comparing an extreme to another, signicantly bigger, extreme.

WBBIRL, I think you may be underestimating you maintenance calories and the amount you actually eat. If not, maybe you should go see a doctor.

I don't think a 300lb man should normally be maintaining at 1500cals.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Buddy...take it easy. All I was getting at (in a very sarcastic and roundabout way) is that taking in less calories than you burn = weight loss. Now, you can talk about metabolism and muscle maintenance all you want, but that's more or less the bottom line... Disagree?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

He should start throwing in some HIIT too for good measure IMO. This is of course assuming he actually does want to lose the fat which I'm assuming is the case.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    What I'm more frightened of is the fact that there are over 800,000,000 starving people going to bed every night. That is not only frightening, but incredibly sad.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I've actually worked out 5 times a week from january to about 3 months ago when I switched to BGB and was doing a M,T,TH,F lifting schedule.

Whole foods, um yes...

Lean protein would chicken breast, PB, tuna, turkey, steak and protein powder be good enough?? I've ate alot of those types of things

Cardio on off days, no... but lifting 5 times a week and working a 40 hour week doing physical labor should be enough.

To be honest, I gave it a real effort for about 3-5 weeks and did lose weight... maybe 10 pounds but that was strict balls to the wall tracking EVERYTHING keeping cals from 1500-2200 which drove me nuts sometimes and not cheating at all.
    Your complaining about 10lbs in 3-5 weeks? Sounds like great progress. Keep it up for 4-5 months and you'll be 40-50 lighter.
    Nick V

Organichu was a special case. He stayed on the program for relatively short ammount of time and had high protein in his diet with weight training involved.

How many people in concentration camps had weight sets and protein powder?? If they got 500 calories a day they were lucky... your comparing an extreme to another, signicantly bigger, extreme.
    Actually, I wasn't the one who brought up concentration camps.

Speaking of Organichu's high protein diet- why not try it, or at least something similar? I know you do manual labor, so perhaps limit your carbs to morning/lunch and drink protein shakes the rest of the day? Low calorie, high protein, combined with lifting and vigorous daily activity you should be able to shed pounds relatively quickly.

Has he tried PSMF at all? Or I guess the better question is whether he'd even want to try it...

BTW I still like the idea of feeding the fat people to the starving ones. As long as the starving ones don't become fat themself... then they become food too.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 08-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Or I guess the better question is whether he'd even want to try it...
    Probably not. Progress sucks!

/sarcasm

This thread has gone off topic quite a bit...
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-17-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    It takes alot to get me mad but I agree his grip on reality is questionable.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Whose is?
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me