The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 139
  1. #51
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    No no no no no, you feed starving people to the fat people. It elimenates the hungry people and the fat get fatter makeing you BB'ers look that much better. Its win win really.

    I could and would do PSMF but I cant really afford the Nitrean necessary. My adaptation of PSMF anyhow, I would have to increase the cals... theres no way I could go more then one day on less then 1500 calories.

  2. #52
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Whose is?
    The Zach.

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    0
    Lack of knowledge, not helped all the bullcrap thrown out by everyone who makes money in the diet/food industry.

    I'm sure all of us AT SOME POINT believed that:
    Fat makes you fat
    Calorie counting was stupid
    You have to eat salads to lose weight.

    If anyone had told me it was as simple as calories in and calories out, I would never have believed it. People are just ingrained with the fact that high-fat, high-sugar foods make them fat. They completely disregard the fact that they eat several lbs of that food every day!

  4. #54
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    No no no no no, you feed starving people to the fat people. It elimenates the hungry people and the fat get fatter makeing you BB'ers look that much better. Its win win really.
    Nu uh. tuttut According to the Sally Struthers Solution (SSS) to solving two of the world's problems we should feed the fat people to the starving, thereby eliminiating the fat and nourishing the downtrodden. If we use your plan we may have to feed up to three starving children to a single fat person to satiate them, while if we do it the other way around a single obese person can probably feed a small African village for a day.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  5. #55
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    Nu uh. tuttut According to the Sally Struthers Solution (SSS) to solving two of the world's problems we should feed the fat people to the starving, thereby eliminiating the fat and nourishing the downtrodden. If we use your plan we may have to feed up to three starving children to a single fat person to satiate them, while if we do it the other way around a single obese person can probably feed a small African village for a day.
    OMG I jus tthought about that South Park episode lmao! Imlaughing so hard right now
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  6. #56
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Wow go to China and see how you like it, I assume you think Communism is great too?
    One of the dumbest things ive ever herd on this forum
    Let me expound on my position a bit.

    1. Something like 65% of Americans are overweight.
    2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).
    Therefore, the majority of Americans lack willpower or judgement.

    1. Democracy is rule of the people.
    2. Most people lack judgement or willpower, and are generally unable to make good decisions.
    Therefore, democracy is a bad idea.

    Personally, I think an enlightened monarchy is the best form of government. For instance, say you need brain surgery. Would you go ask some random guy off the street to operate on you, or would you go to the best brain surgeon you can find? The same applies to government.

    And to TwiloMike: nowhere did I state that America is a democracy.

  7. #57
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,975
    Hmmmm ya know I don't know if people want to hear about democracy but I was just thinking about it and to be honest if people had to pass a simpe test to be able to vote it would solve a lot of our problems. Of course then people will say that's not universal suffrage, etc but man the very very large majority of people voting have no idea what the **** they're talking about.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

  8. #58
    Not Done Yet ShockBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,265
    Well, since GLOBAL obesity is on the rise... including in China, Japan, the middle east, and the UK (each featuring a different government) it doesn't really matter what the government type is. People lack judgement or willpower the world over.

    Furthermore, the people at the top are often fatasses too (as well as old and quite often out of touch)... so they obviously lack willpower or judgement.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

    Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

    Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3


    Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

  9. #59
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zach
    Let me expound on my position a bit.

    1. Something like 65% of Americans are overweight.
    2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).
    Therefore, the majority of Americans lack willpower or judgement.

    1. Democracy is rule of the people.
    2. Most people lack judgement or willpower, and are generally unable to make good decisions.
    Therefore, democracy is a bad idea.

    Personally, I think an enlightened monarchy is the best form of government. For instance, say you need brain surgery. Would you go ask some random guy off the street to operate on you, or would you go to the best brain surgeon you can find? The same applies to government.

    And to TwiloMike: nowhere did I state that America is a democracy.

    What was the last year of school you took, Im going to be a History major, and "enlightened monacrchy's" can only go so far, first they run out of things to be enlightened about, second there were only a few enlightend monarches (Joseph the Second) in history who STILL! were not treating everyone farely (such as omish,jews, and woman) Third, the high precent of monarchs said they were enlightened just to take more power for them selfs . And who do you consider an enlightened monarch?

    Oh and one more thing, all the people from the enlightenment, inspired EVERYTHING in the constitution today -FREE: religion,press,ownership of property, equality among woman, and FREE TRADE! Adam smith, who effected not only the shaping of america but the world, with free trade ethics; Lazze-Faire, Charels de Secondat, Voltaire, Denis Diderot and Jean Jaques Rousseau (who belived that a majority should rule). An enlightend monarch followed the enlightened philosophes of the physiocrats.

    So you're "enlighented government", or what You think it is.... Is realy just communism, enlightenment go against every freakin word you just said.

    And like shock said it's world wide..... do some reseach before making comments, you assumed no one knew what enlighentment was... you were wrong.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 08-18-2006 at 05:16 AM.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  10. #60
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zach
    Let me expound on my position a bit.

    1. Something like 65% of Americans are overweight.
    2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).
    Therefore, the majority of Americans lack willpower or judgement.
    1. The majority of the world are in a predicament they dislike being in (too poor, too hungry, too fat, too oppressed) etc.
    2. To stay in such predicaments, despite a world history full of revolutions, economic improvements, attempts to better the lives of many as well as one's own, one must either be ignorant of history or lack the will power to make the world a better place via learning, working, etc.
    Therefore the majority of the world lack either knowledge or willpower.

    1. Democracy is rule of the people.
    2. Most people lack judgement or willpower, and are generally unable to make good decisions.
    Therefore, democracy is a bad idea.
    Oddly enough, the countries that display democratic tendencies through a collective consiousness are the best off countries in the world. Somehow the fatasses are doing well.

    Personally, I think an enlightened monarchy is the best form of government. For instance, say you need brain surgery. Would you go ask some random guy off the street to operate on you, or would you go to the best brain surgeon you can find? The same applies to government.
    An inherited monarchy? What guarantees that the offspring of the Super Monarch will possess anywhere near the skills of their predecessor? Do you mean an elected monarch with advisors? That would be a variant of the system we have in the USA. Among fat people.

    And to TwiloMike: nowhere did I state that America is a democracy.
    If you didn't consider America a democracy in your first post in this thread while you drew a correlation between fatties and the futility of democracy filled with fatasses, while America is Teh Fat Land full of people who can't make informed decisions to even care for their own bodies, what exactly did you mean?
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 08-18-2006 at 08:18 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  11. #61
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zach
    2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).
    Therefore, the majority of Americans lack willpower or judgement.
    Or they are poor. It is nearly impossible to feed a family healthy foods that don't have tons of processed sugars without a reasonably high income.

    I know it's cute for young, single males to go on about lack of willpower and how fat people are of weak moral values and how everyone should just buy a bunch of lean chicken every week. Guess what? A lot of people cannot afford healthy food. Period. Corn syrup products are subsidized, cheap, and keep kids happy.

    The expensive Whole Foods elitism of the looney left isn't any better.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  12. #62
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Or they are poor. It is nearly impossible to feed a family healthy foods that don't have tons of processed sugars without a reasonably high income.

    I know it's cute for young, single males to go on about lack of willpower and how fat people are of weak moral values and how everyone should just buy a bunch of lean chicken every week. Guess what? A lot of people cannot afford healthy food. Period. Corn syrup products are subsidized, cheap, and keep kids happy.

    The expensive Whole Foods elitism of the looney left isn't any better.
    Exactly I mean first off... monachry comon...
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  13. #63
    Banned bjohnso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,196
    Monarchies are sooooo yesteryear dude.

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Do people really care this much about obesity? I mean, I can understand starvation, because most of the people starving can't afford to get food. But, who honestly cares about obesity. I am not quick to judge--I'll admit that 500 lb people scare me a little--but it's those people's life decisions and they should be let alone. It's like judging those who drink or, god forbid, smoke marijuana.

    You can't please everyone, ever, so work on pleasing yourself.

  15. #65
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Do people really care this much about obesity? I mean, I can understand starvation, because most of the people starving can't afford to get food. But, who honestly cares about obesity. I am not quick to judge--I'll admit that 500 lb people scare me a little--but it's those people's life decisions and they should be let alone. It's like judging those who drink or, god forbid, smoke marijuana.

    You can't please everyone, ever, so work on pleasing yourself.
    Fat people and the problems resulting from their fatness (as a whole) drive my health insurance rates up and fat poor people drive my taxes up, therefore I care. Otherwise, I don't. Of course, I'm being a simplistic ******* at the moment.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 08-18-2006 at 12:17 PM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  16. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    You mind explaining that and giving me the figure of how much you would save--assuming we bought your argument?

    If there were a lot less obese people (let's say 75% less) it would be so much harder to practically do much of anything, because the competiton for pretty much anything would be harder, such as finding jobs. A restaurant is not going to hire people overtly obese, for example. So, with having people in the low end spectrum, it helps you.

    I buy your argument, you buy mine.

    What does it matter who does what with how short our lives are. It's pointless worrying about other people when, before you know it, you're 10 years older and regret things you missed out on.

  17. #67
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    It makes sence philster, and Im sure it's true, and these people also buy unhealthy products and support bad foods, that we are tring to fight to have higher standards of, such as trans fats.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  18. #68
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    You mind explaining that and giving me the figure of how much you would save--assuming we bought your argument?
    Start here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obes...nsequences.htm

    Between $50-80 billion in 1998.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  19. #69
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Start here: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obes...nsequences.htm

    Between $50-80 billion in 1998.
    Thanks Mix I didn't have time to do research.... im bought =)
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  20. #70
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,605
    If there were a lot less obese people (let's say 75% less) it would be so much harder to practically do much of anything, because the competiton for pretty much anything would be harder, such as finding jobs. A restaurant is not going to hire people overtly obese, for example. So, with having people in the low end spectrum, it helps you.


    Thats a sack of lying dog **** and you know it, with the "politically correctness" being shoved down our throats ANYONE has the same chance. In fact people like that have MORE a chance because they will just get some federation on the ass of whoever didnt hire them and say, in truth or out of spite, that they weren't hired and a lawsuit will ensue.

  21. #71
    You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Thats a sack of lying dog **** and you know it, with the "politically correctness" being shoved down our throats ANYONE has the same chance. In fact people like that have MORE a chance because they will just get some federation on the ass of whoever didnt hire them and say, in truth or out of spite, that they weren't hired and a lawsuit will ensue.
    Lol Fat people can do any job, look at the steriotypes plumbers, construction workers, auto workers, deli, baker, all fat people... and those are the ACTIVE jobs! these non active jobs should have even more fat people then those! sooo
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

    God bless men. - Built

  22. #72
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Fatness or Communism?
    fatness, I just wonder why it is so bad that less people are starving. should more people be starving? or should we wish for the impossible balance where everyone has the exact same amount of food.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,326
    If the government really did care, they would ban all fast food places. Then replace them with healthy natural food stores.

    Like... rice and chicken some veggies, or mashed potatoes. Also it would be half the price of burgers and fries.

    BTW everytime I eat burger king or McDonalds I get dizzy don't know why.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

    New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

  24. #74
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,669
    I would think that fat people outnuumbering starving people would be good news. Very good news indeed.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 08-19-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  25. #75
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    If the government really did care, they would ban all fast food places. Then replace them with healthy natural food stores.
    Communist dreams, eh? The government doesn't own fast food places therefore it can't replace them with anything.

    Like... rice and chicken some veggies, or mashed potatoes. Also it would be half the price of burgers and fries.
    Right.

    BTW everytime I eat burger king or McDonalds I get dizzy don't know why.
    Did it ever occur to you to stop eating there, you know, if you really care?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •