The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

There are now more overweight/obese people in the world than starving people...

The number is at 1 billion currently and rising at an epic scale. I can't find an article, but this is what they said on the news today. tuttut

A sixth of the world is either overweight or obese. *sigh*

Edit: Found an article:

More fat people in world than there are starving, study finds

FAT people now out-number the world's starving, a nutrition study has found.

While 800 million still go to bed hungry every night, another 1.3 billion have a body mass index that makes them either overweight or obese, says Barry Popkin, of the Department of Nutrition and Economics at the University of North Carolina.

Professor Popkin has followed the lives of 16,000 people in China since 1989, watching how social and economic changes have affected their diet and health.

"In China in 1989 there were no overweight people," he told the Herald yesterday, before addressing 900 economists on the Gold Coast. "Now, about 25 per cent are overweight or obese."

Similar patterns were appearing in most of Asia, most of urban Africa and the Middle East. "In the developing world it has clearly been a phenomenon of the last 15 years."

Professor Popkin told the International Association of Agricultural Economists that China's changing diet was following "a classic Westernisation pattern".

In the past 20 years consumption of cereals had "decreased considerably", while energy obtained by eating fat had more than doubled.

China's lifestyle had become more sedentary, with 14 per cent of homes acquiring a motor vehicle between 1989 and 1997, and 97 per cent now having television. "In one study we showed the odds of being obese were 80 per cent higher for men and women in households which owned a motorised vehicle."

While obesity was afflicting both developed and developing countries, there were key differences.

Professor Popkin blamed an explosion in the consumption of high-calorie, sweetened beverages - "soft drinks and fruit drinks" - for much of the obesity in the United States and Australia in the past two decades. "When you consume them you do not reduce your intake of food."

But he said China's epidemic was powered by a spectacular growth in the consumption of animal foods. "Beef, pork in particular, and poultry - they have tripled in the last 12 years."

Meat production had been matched by the rising use of cheap vegetable oils. Another problem was the arrival of Western-style food advertising.

Professor Popkin advocated taxation, pricing and tough advertising controls, not education, as the weapons to fight global obesity.

"Telling people to eat better and be more active won't work - education can't do it," he said, adding that the example for success had been set by the battle against smoking.

"We cut smoking [by] two-thirds by taxing cigarettes and increasing the price. With a calorie tax, say five cents for every added gram of sugar, you would cut consumption [of sweetened drinks] in half."
    LINK
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-16-2006 at 09:17 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Yet people seem to think democracy is a good idea. Most people can't even govern their own bodies, let alone a country.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Its everyones fault. Consumers and compainies. I ate two double quarter pounder sandwhichs today (I'm bulking of course) and they tasted great. The thing is, I only have them every two weeks or so.

Everythings in moderation. When you eat bad food all the time, your going to get big.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Zach
    Yet people seem to think democracy is a good idea. Most people can't even govern their own bodies, let alone a country.
    Totalitarianism and dictatorships for everyone!

OT: That's a really frightening statistic. I've actually had success in changing my parents' diets for the better. My dad went from a 40" waist to 34". He's also become a gym junkie.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 08-17-2006 at 07:19 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Feed the hyper-obese to the chronically malnourished? Just not the braaaaaaaaiins.

OT: We all know that proper nutrition in todays world is hard to come by: How many of even the cleanest eaters on here have to take a multivitamin? It's easy, and largely true, to blame a person's weight solely on themselves... but I feel that the food service industry and economy isn't helping any.

Naturally if you eat a whole bag of oreos and a full tub of ice cream you deserve what you get. If you're buying the cheapest chicken burgers you can afford (highly processed, mixed with soy filler and covered in high fat batter) because organically grown chicken breasts for a family of five multiple times a week takes your entire grocery budget I'm not so sure.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Feed the hyper-obese to the chronically malnourished? Just not the braaaaaaaaiins.
    The Sally Struthers Solution (SSS)?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Wow go to China and see how you like it, I assume you think Communism is great too?
    One of the dumbest things ive ever herd on this forum
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 08-17-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    Wow go to China and see how you like it, I assume you think Communism is great too?
    Don't let it anger you. He was the same guy who posted the article that "proved" WTC was brought down by controlled demolition. His grasp on reality is...questionable.

Wannabebig Member
    Let me expound on my position a bit.

1. Something like 65% of Americans are overweight.
    2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).
    Therefore, the majority of Americans lack willpower or judgement.

1. Democracy is rule of the people.
    2. Most people lack judgement or willpower, and are generally unable to make good decisions.
    Therefore, democracy is a bad idea.

Personally, I think an enlightened monarchy is the best form of government. For instance, say you need brain surgery. Would you go ask some random guy off the street to operate on you, or would you go to the best brain surgeon you can find? The same applies to government.

And to TwiloMike: nowhere did I state that America is a democracy.

2. To become overweight you must either possess poor judgement on simple matters of nutrition (eg, being oblivious to the fact that drinking a six-pack of soda everyday is bad for you) or lack of will power (eg, unable to stop eating icecream).

2. Most people lack judgement or willpower, and are generally unable to make good decisions.

Personally, I think an enlightened monarchy is the best form of government. For instance, say you need brain surgery. Would you go ask some random guy off the street to operate on you, or would you go to the best brain surgeon you can find? The same applies to government.

What was the last year of school you took, Im going to be a History major, and "enlightened monacrchy's" can only go so far, first they run out of things to be enlightened about, second there were only a few enlightend monarches (Joseph the Second) in history who STILL! were not treating everyone farely (such as omish,jews, and woman) Third, the high precent of monarchs said they were enlightened just to take more power for them selfs . And who do you consider an enlightened monarch?

Oh and one more thing, all the people from the enlightenment, inspired EVERYTHING in the constitution today -FREE: religion,press,ownership of property, equality among woman, and FREE TRADE! Adam smith, who effected not only the shaping of america but the world, with free trade ethics; Lazze-Faire, Charels de Secondat, Voltaire, Denis Diderot and Jean Jaques Rousseau (who belived that a majority should rule). An enlightend monarch followed the enlightened philosophes of the physiocrats.

So you're "enlighented government", or what You think it is.... Is realy just communism, enlightenment go against every freakin word you just said.

And like shock said it's world wide..... do some reseach before making comments, you assumed no one knew what enlighentment was... you were wrong.
    Last edited by Ron Burgundy; 08-18-2006 at 05:16 AM.
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Wannabebig Member
    What was the last year of school you took, Im going to be a History major, and "enlightened monacrchy's" can only go so far, first they run out of things to be enlightened about, second there were only a few enlightend monarches (Joseph the Second) in history who STILL! were not treating everyone farely (such as omish,jews, and woman) Third, the high precent of monarchs said they were enlightened just to take more power for them selfs . And who do you consider an enlightened monarch?

Oh and one more thing, all the people from the enlightenment, inspired EVERYTHING in the constitution today -FREE: religion,press,ownership of property, equality among woman, and FREE TRADE! Adam smith, who effected not only the shaping of america but the world, with free trade ethics; Lazze-Faire, Charels de Secondat, Voltaire, Denis Diderot and Jean Jaques Rousseau (who belived that a majority should rule). An enlightend monarch followed the enlightened philosophes of the physiocrats.

So you're "enlighented government", or what You think it is.... Is realy just communism, enlightenment go against every freakin word you just said.

And like shock said it's world wide..... do some reseach before making comments, you assumed no one knew what enlighentment was... you were wrong.
    I wasn't referring to the age of enlightenment. I was referring to genuine spiritual enlightenment, the kind Plato refers to--though in the form of similie--in the Republic. Ya know, leave the cave, stare into the sun--that kinda thing. Perhaps philospher king would've been a better term. I would also like to see a return of the caste system.

Anyway, my basic argument was that an enlightened monarch would be better at governing than a random person off the street. And this seems to be self-evident. I don't see how this, in your mind, equates to communism, however.

I would also like to offer some advice: before you start college, you might want to go back to middle school for a little while and learn basic English. Just a suggestion.

1. The majority of the world are in a predicament they dislike being in (too poor, too hungry, too fat, too oppressed) etc.
    2. To stay in such predicaments, despite a world history full of revolutions, economic improvements, attempts to better the lives of many as well as one's own, one must either be ignorant of history or lack the will power to make the world a better place via learning, working, etc.
    Therefore the majority of the world lack either knowledge or willpower.

Oddly enough, the countries that display democratic tendencies through a collective consiousness are the best off countries in the world. Somehow the fatasses are doing well.

An inherited monarchy? What guarantees that the offspring of the Super Monarch will possess anywhere near the skills of their predecessor? Do you mean an elected monarch with advisors? That would be a variant of the system we have in the USA. Among fat people.

If you didn't consider America a democracy in your first post in this thread while you drew a correlation between fatties and the futility of democracy filled with fatasses, while America is Teh Fat Land full of people who can't make informed decisions to even care for their own bodies, what exactly did you mean?
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 08-18-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    1. The majority of the world are in a predicament they dislike being in (too poor, too hungry, too fat, too oppressed) etc.
    2. To stay in such predicaments, despite a world history full of revolutions, economic improvements, attempts to better the lives of many as well as one's own, one must either be ignorant of history or lack the will power to make the world a better place via learning, working, etc.
    Therefore the majority of the world lack either knowledge or willpower.

Oddly enough, the countries that display democratic tendencies through a collective consiousness are the best off countries in the world. Somehow the fatasses are doing well.

An inherited monarchy? What guarantees that the offspring of the Super Monarch will possess anywhere near the skills of their predecessor? Do you mean an elected monarch with advisors? That would be a variant of the system we have in the USA. Among fat people.

If you didn't consider America a democracy in your first post in this thread while you drew a correlation between fatties and the futility of democracy filled with fatasses, while America is Teh Fat Land full of people who can't make informed decisions to even care for their own bodies, what exactly did you mean?
    I used America just as an example. Surely you've noticed that 'Murcans are quite fond of the ol' D-word. For instance, who wants to spread democracy in the Middle East? USA does! (or at least they say they do.) Yet, democracy sucks and the Arabs know it. No wonder they're mad.

And collective consciousness is not necessarily related to type of government, but more to homogeneity of race, culture, language, and history. Take the Japanese for example.

Or they are poor. It is nearly impossible to feed a family healthy foods that don't have tons of processed sugars without a reasonably high income.

I know it's cute for young, single males to go on about lack of willpower and how fat people are of weak moral values and how everyone should just buy a bunch of lean chicken every week. Guess what? A lot of people cannot afford healthy food. Period. Corn syrup products are subsidized, cheap, and keep kids happy.

The expensive Whole Foods elitism of the looney left isn't any better.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Or they are poor. It is nearly impossible to feed a family healthy foods that don't have tons of processed sugars without a reasonably high income.

I know it's cute for young, single males to go on about lack of willpower and how fat people are of weak moral values and how everyone should just buy a bunch of lean chicken every week. Guess what? A lot of people cannot afford healthy food. Period. Corn syrup products are subsidized, cheap, and keep kids happy.

Exactly I mean first off... monachry comon...
    I am SO glad I'm female.

God bless men. - Built

be a little bit more intellectually dishonest why don't you

vegetables, big bags of rice, big bags of potatoes, are extremely cheap

as well as the grocery store has multiple meat items on special every week

please
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win

Wannabebig Member

This is absurd. Poor people starve, they don't get fat. Also, if these people can't afford to eat actual food, they shouldn't even consider having children--yet they do. Like I said: poor judgement.

If only they didn't use the BMI as the basis of their study...

How come no one ever uses bodyfat %?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    Everythings in moderation. When you eat bad food all the time, your going to get big.
    You can eat good food all the time and get big. You can get morbidly obese eating healthy foods if you're consuming more calories than you're expending on a consistent basis.

It is a lack of knowledge and how to apply that knowledge, laziness, or a lot of different variables. It's not just one thing. Some people just REALLY like food, but I could never allow myself to become like 99% of my family and friends...all overweight with a complete lack of discipline and willpower to do a damn thing about it, yet they complain all the time and still do nothing. I blame the media, magazines, food companies, etc... But the companies aren't the only ones to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    If only they didn't use the BMI as the basis of their study...

How come no one ever uses bodyfat %?
    The BMI works fine for average people. But it can be very inaccurate for athletes/weightlifters who have lean body mass that increases their weight.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 08-16-2006 at 09:43 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

I dont really have a problem with fat people as long as they try. My own mother complains about being fat but every time i propose a diet (even if its very moderate) she throws up her hands and tells me she wont hear any of my "meathead nonesense". I love her but I wish she'd atleast make an attempt. My grandfathers the same way. He could easily add on another decade to his life but since he eats so poorly he will probably die soon at only 60.....actually now that I think about it, most of my family is morbidly obese.tuttut
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 08-16-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Yeah I don't mind fat people as long as they aren't complaining to me about it while they don't attempt to fix the problem.

What I DO mind is how they can screw with our healthcare system.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

The airline things really pisses me off. If your that god damned fat that you take up two seats then you should buy two tickets. Dont cram me next to your fatass because you refuse to buy both tickets. You spend enough on food, spend that much more so you dont make ME uncomfortable
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Yeah I don't mind fat people as long as they aren't complaining to me about it while they don't attempt to fix the problem.
    Even worse is when they make cracks about healthy eating habits and think they know what is good and not good for you.

I would rather be fat then hungry...

To stay on topic,

I have no problem with poeple that are a little overweight, my problem is with the true fat asses that are 100-200 lbs over weigth, there is NO reason (genetic or not) to ever let yourself get that way.

nd I agree with Jordan, just because your a fat ass doesn't mean you have the right to ruin my flight/bus ride.

Unfortunately, writing this on a bodybuilding / health forums shows that I'm a little one sided...

BMI and the huge varaition in BMR are two big reasons to account for the overweight/obese population.

Espically BMR, Im a nearly 6ft tall 300lb man and I maintain on what some little 150 pound girls do. Its not an excuse, the reason I havent/dont do anything about it is because im lazy, but for all the 180lb jerks out there that complain they can't gain weight eating 3500-4000 cals a day theres twice as many people like me.