Thread: Pull up/dip belt question. Opinions needed.

Pull up/dip belt question. Opinions needed.

It has finally gotten to the point where it's harder for me to hold a dumbbell between my feet than it is to actually do the damn pull up. So, I want to buy a belt. From what I can see, there appears to be just two kinds, leather and nylon.

1) Which is better as far as quality (not breaking) and comfort?

2) I'm looking at them on Amazon. Is there any other recommended place to buy one?

3) Once I get the belt, are there any special tips I should know about before hand? Like how to not bang myself in the nuts with the weights, or just generally not accidentally do something stupid/dangerous.

Thanks in advance guys.

I use a dog chocker chain and a regular lifting belt. Been using it for 2 years now
    [SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"][/SIZE][SIZE=".01"]Maintaining/Conditioning
    5'5 146 lbs
    progress pics
    Bench press 315 x 1 Dec. 05 Squat 295 x 1 Dec. 05 Dead Lift405 x 1 Dec 05
    Bench press 325 x 1 Jul. 09 Squat 435 x 1 Jul. 09 Dead Lift 480 x1 July 09
    "No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?"
    "Beef is my favorite animal." -CiteCollegiale

Get leather. They're not really any more expensive.

APT has some connections with WBB and I've had very good service from them on multiple orders.

You can get the right length of chain and steel 'biners at any hardware store.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I've got a leather one. Works great. My only close call was pinching my nuts when dipping 3 plates.

1) I have a padded nylon belt that works fine, and is comfortable. I can see leather being stronger though.

2) You could try a local second hand fitness store, or maybe eBay.

3) Stand the weight up on the ground or on a bench before pulling the chain through. The same for taking the chain off. Other than that, you should be fine.
    5'6", 145 lbs.

My old gym had a leather one which tore on me when I was dipping with 160lbs on it. It was partially torn when I started dipping and lasted 3 years before it tore. No idea how long it had been torn, but it looked real old. I never saw anyone else use it (one of the best pieces of lifting equipment IMO). They never replaced it (they never fixed/replaced anything but cardio equip. One reason I'm not there anymore). I would imagine a new one would last a long, long time if you took care of it. BTW, if one does tear, it will really scare the crap out of you. Most of my gym shirts have little holes in the front where the chains pinch the fabric. No biggie.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

I've been happy with the one I got from APT, although I replaced the stock chain with a longer one. The one it came with was so short that if I used 45 pound plates my nuts didn't just graze the plates, they perched on top of them.
    That's not a position that I'm comfortable with.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669
    Most of my gym shirts have little holes in the front where the chains pinch the fabric. No biggie.
    This has happened to me as well. A tip to avoid this is to get some athletic tape and then tape around where the chain meets the rings on the belt. No more pinching for me.