Thread: Hammer Strength Wide Chest vs Bench Press

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Hammer Strength Wide Chest vs Bench Press

I went down to the gym yesterday and I saw the decline press machine was open so I started my chest workout on it.. a typical session feels like it always does, so I did my 3 sets and moved on. Normally I'd move from there to the HS Iso Lateral Bench Machine, but it was taken, so I went over to the Wide chest Machine instead, I lodaded it up and did a few reps, it felt light so I started to load more, did a couple more reps and threw on some more weight.

Here's the odd thing about this situation, I ended up packing 320 lb on the machine before I finally lifted to failure, after 4 reps. On the Bench machine I max out at about 250lb. Is there realy that much difference in the leverage of these two machines that it maxes for a 70lb differential?

I highly doubt I added 70lb to my bench in a week, anyone have any insights to add here?

They are totally different lifts, and can not be compared.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

yeah the lifts are alot different, i can pump out sets of 270 on the machines easily but i can only flat bench like 270 3 times.
    2000 or bust

I could move 3+pps on the HS decline press when I was only bench pressing 185 or so. Haven't used the pressing machines for a long while. They definately didn't help my bench strength.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I can chest press on the machine just over HALF what I bench free weight...
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 08-17-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Then, would you guys use this? It's made by Powertec Fitness. Is it worth it?
    http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_multi_sysn.htm
    Last edited by Iron Bull; 08-17-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Iron4Life
    Not unless I already bought at least $1200 or more worth of a good Olympic weight set - at least 500 lbs of weights, some DBs of various sizes, some kettlebells, a pullup bar, a Squat/Power Rack, etc.. etc..

And had another $1200 to burn on this machine..

Free weights are much better..
    Last edited by Bob; 08-17-2006 at 05:10 PM.

I can honestly say I've never used a chest press machine, and I'm darn proud of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I can honestly say I've never used a chest press machine, and I'm darn proud of that.
    Before I started using freeweights I'd hit every machine in the club twice for 6-8 reps then head upstairs and gasp my way through forty minutes on an eliptical with a heart rate in the 170s.

All it earned me was a starting bench of 95 mighty pounds and a herculean starting deadlift of 110.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Before I started using freeweights I'd hit every machine in the club twice for 6-8 reps then head upstairs and gasp my way through forty minutes on an eliptical with a heart rate in the 170s.

All it earned me was a starting bench of 95 mighty pounds and a herculean starting deadlift of 110.
    Well, I started out with free weights, but I was doing too much running and not eating nearly enough calories in an attempt to just "lose weight". So I went from 215lbs of flab to 185 lbs of flab in a matter of 3-4 months before I learned what I was doing wrong.

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks for all your replies!

I had a feeling that they were very different lifts, but I wonder why HS didn't get the leverage of the machine to simulate the weight of it's free weight cousin.

Anyway, the main reason I use the macines for my chest workout is that I don't want to kill myself with a really heavy bar and I don't have a regular spotter I can trust. So, I hit the machines. (I've added about 25lb to my bench this month using the BP, incline and decline press machines).

Thanks again for your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by cresquin
    I had a feeling that they were very different lifts, but I wonder why HS didn't get the leverage of the machine to simulate the weight of it's free weight cousin.
    Because it's impossible.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John