Thread: Bench Buyers Guide

Bench Buyers Guide

Sup, in the process of ordering a bench. Have put up some threads re this myself and seen same topic posted by others, but i'm still lost. I have an olympic weights set, does that mean i have to buy an olympic bench? All the olympic benches i've seen have spotter racks, i've already got a power rack so that would be useless. Any help?

thanks,
    -Steele =)

The bench press doesn't exist in olympic competition, so to the best of my knowledge there is no "olympic bench" ??

Anyway, sounds like you need something like this:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1228
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Anthony's right- you don't need a bench with uprights- that's the beauty of owning a power rack.
    I've got an adjustable bench that does incline/flat/decline (the older version of this: http://www.bigfitness.com/bodsolflatin.html), and it's really not great for flat bench work- with that in mind I just bought a new flat bench- http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro99990.html

Unless you're dead set on doing incline and or using the bench for other stuff, I'd recommend a good solid flat bench. The adjustable ones aren't as stable, the gap in the pads is in a location that makes it hard to get a tight arch, the leg holders for the decline setting get in the way, and mine is a little too tall for most people.

My bench from NYBB should be arriving today or tomorrow and I'll give it a go on some speed bench tomorrow night. If you'd like, I'll let you know what I think of it.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Yes please mate, would really appreciate that =) And i can't thank you enough for reccomending a power rack and weights set, got it set up + it owns (:

-Steele

Quote Originally Posted by RickTheDestroyer
    Anthony's right- you don't need a bench with uprights- that's the beauty of owning a power rack.
    I've got an adjustable bench that does incline/flat/decline (the older version of this: http://www.bigfitness.com/bodsolflatin.html), and it's really not great for flat bench work- with that in mind I just bought a new flat bench- http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/pro99990.html

Unless you're dead set on doing incline and or using the bench for other stuff, I'd recommend a good solid flat bench. The adjustable ones aren't as stable, the gap in the pads is in a location that makes it hard to get a tight arch, the leg holders for the decline setting get in the way, and mine is a little too tall for most people.

My bench from NYBB should be arriving today or tomorrow and I'll give it a go on some speed bench tomorrow night. If you'd like, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Glad you're enjoying it bro.
    I definitely like the new bench- it's maybe not quite as high quality as my other one, but it's very sturdy. The thing I really like about it is that it's HUGE. It's much lower than my other one (which is good) but the surface area of the pad is really big, which I like a lot. It feels really solid.
    in my book.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

One thing I would recommend is try out some benches at a local shop, or take a tape measure to the gym and get some dimensions.

I spent almost $2k on a setup once, and returned most of the stuff and replaced it.

Your bench can get pretty messed up by some "typical" home gym benches. Things to look for would be the width of the bench padding, and the height of the bench. If it's a really narrow bench, you won't be getting your lats firmly planted, and if the bench is much higher, then you will feel really weird with your feet not planted firmly as you are accustom to.

I found that unless you went with the commercial grade benches, that most of them were quite different in dimensions and feel from a typical membership gym bench.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I think when he says olympic bench he means a bench or a rack that is rated for the standard grade weights with a 2" bar hole as oppossed to the cheapo stuff with the little 1" opening and the 20lb bar. Is that what you meant steele?

I know some of the cheaper benches are made for the smaller diameter bars and are set with a low max weight. Id stay away from anything graded for those 1" bars. Id suggest the same thing as everyone else.. get yourself a good rack.
    Last edited by ancom41; 08-18-2006 at 12:01 PM.