The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift/Dip form

Sup guys, kinda worried about my bench dips and deads. Newbie needing help basically (: Tracking my macros and calories on Fitday, nutrition side of things is going very well.

With the dips, my form begins to suffer halfway through the first set and my body shakes (lol), which makes it worse. I used a chair and a coffee table (No bench yet) and am placing my hands to either side of the chair instead of the edge closest to my arse (Will use a different chair next time). My legs stay straight, and i go all the way down for a few, then i go less and less down as the reps go by. To limit this, i'm stopping when form goes bad and resting for 15 or so seconds, then going at it again till i can pull all the reps off. This takes quite a few breaks, towards the end of the second set i was resting for more just to pull off the last reps. Is this a good idea?

With regards to deadlifts, I was pushing my shoulderblades together instead of pulling them upwards. I know now that this is wrong, but what does it mean by 'pull them up'? Is that move your entire upper body upwards, or just your shoulders like with shrugs? Plus i'm guessing it's a very good idea to keep the bar an inch away from your body @ all times, i found at certain points this was very hard to do

Also, when it came to the chins my upper body was ruined, and i couldn't bring myself to do them, even with a chair to potentially cheat with. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these out?

Thanks loads =)
    -Steele

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

C'mon guys, needing the help

-Steele

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    Sup guys, kinda worried about my bench dips and deads. Newbie needing help basically (: Tracking my macros and calories on Fitday, nutrition side of things is going very well.

(1) With the dips, my form begins to suffer halfway through the first set and my body shakes (lol), which makes it worse. I used a chair and a coffee table (No bench yet) and am placing my hands to either side of the chair instead of the edge closest to my arse (Will use a different chair next time). My legs stay straight, and i go all the way down for a few, then i go less and less down as the reps go by. To limit this, i'm stopping when form goes bad and resting for 15 or so seconds, then going at it again till i can pull all the reps off. This takes quite a few breaks, towards the end of the second set i was resting for more just to pull off the last reps. Is this a good idea?

(2) With regards to deadlifts, I was pushing my shoulderblades together instead of pulling them upwards. I know now that this is wrong, but what does it mean by 'pull them up'? Is that move your entire upper body upwards, or just your shoulders like with shrugs? Plus i'm guessing it's a very good idea to keep the bar an inch away from your body @ all times, i found at certain points this was very hard to do

A(3) lso, when it came to the chins my upper body was ruined, and i couldn't bring myself to do them, even with a chair to potentially cheat with. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these out?

Thanks loads =)
    -Steele
    (numbers are mine)

1. If you are doing an exercise(s) before dips (which is what it sounds like) then that's why you are shaking. Try putting them first in your routine. It also sounds like you are doing seated dips, do you not have access to the standing kind?

2. The bar should be against your body not an inch away. That gives away leverage.

3. See number 1. Do you do these first in your routine? If you were to post your entire routine here (including days, exercises, sets and reps) you'd probably get more responses and more specific advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    With regards to deadlifts, I was pushing my shoulderblades together instead of pulling them upwards. I know now that this is wrong, but what does it mean by 'pull them up'? Is that move your entire upper body upwards, or just your shoulders like with shrugs?
    Are you talking about at the end of the lift or getting set up in the beginning? It's not a shrug, so you don't have to worry about pulling your shoulders up at all. You just have to get your shoulders pulled back so that they're inline, like they normally would be when you're standing. Just drive your hips forward as the bar is moving up, and then get your shoulders pulled back right at the end. Don't pull them so far back that you hyperextend your back or fall backwards.

And for the chins, if you can't get any at the end of the workout, you'll have to move them to the beginning of the workout. Otherwise do pulldowns if you have the equipment for it.

Kk, i'm on WBB1 without a bench atm, so -

Day 1 : Chest and Back

Chest

Flat Barbell Floor Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Dumbbell Floor Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Bench Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back

Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
    Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

You suggest moving dips and chins to the start of the routine? Sounds like sense tbh, thanks

-Steele