The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Ok!, now that i got your attention...
    I was discussing this with Anthony last night and we we both shared the same opinion about this:

We both just started doing dead lifts. We were saying that we both started at 225, athought we could do a lot more. We then said that we would just up the weight l;ittle by little every week although we could go ahead and max out from a couple of session. The reason we preffer to do this is that we believe that if we can get some growth out of 225, because its a new exercise, we should only add a liitle weight every week, to continue to receive new stimulation ( by adding more weight) every single week, rather than maxing out right away and receive just receive new stimulation on that max out day and waiting a lot longer to up that max weight in order to receive new stimulation.
    I hope i explained myself well and did not put words in Anthony's moth that didn't belong there
    Feel free to modify or simplify what i said Anthony
    if any other experts have anything to say feel free to...
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do that as well.. depending on how I'm training...

Lets say I get done dieting and get ready to gain some strength...

I'll drop everything down a couple of notches, and spend a couple of weeks building back up.

For example, your last DL PR was 315x5. Take that down to 275x5, and add 10 pounds a week for 4 weeks to get back up to the PR, then start adding smaller amounts of weight to get past your PR.

Lots of variations you can do, you can insted do a changing rep scheme where you train to failure, and each week add 10 pounds 'till you hit your rep max

Using our DL example, the old PR is 315.

Week 1 275x8
    Week 2 285x8
    Week 3 295 x 7
    Week 4 305x7
    Week 5 315 x 6 (new PR!)
    Week 6 either add 10 lbs and keep going, add 5 pounds and shoot to keep the reps, or stay at 315 and add reps.

The main reason I am starting at 225 is to develop form. I have never done normal deads on a regular basis, so I want to make sure I don't injure myself starting at a high weight for reps.

Having said that, I also agree that when I pull 225x8-10 tomorrow it will stimulate my body. The week after, I'm sure 245 will stimulate it again. And so on. However, if I were to start off at 295 (or whatever my max is for 6-8 reps), my progress would be very slow in the coming weeks. I am hesitant to say that the 225/245/265 scenario would create more stimulation than starting out at 295 immediately - because that's something I'm not sure of. What I am sure of is that increase my deadlift by 10-20lbs for a few weeks will offer adequate stimulation AND give me the satisfaction of making quick progress.

So, when combining the issues of proper form with adequate stimulation and mental satisfaction, the first scenario is the clear winner in my mind.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Originally posted by Anthony
    The main reason I am starting at 225 is to develop form. I have never done normal deads on a regular basis, so I want to make sure I don't injure myself starting at a high weight for reps.

Having said that, I also agree that when I pull 225x8-10 tomorrow it will stimulate my body. The week after, I'm sure 245 will stimulate it again. And so on. However, if I were to start off at 295 (or whatever my max is for 6-8 reps), my progress would be very slow in the coming weeks. I am hesitant to say that the 225/245/265 scenario would create more stimulation than starting out at 295 immediately - because that's something I'm not sure of. What I am sure of is that increase my deadlift by 10-20lbs for a few weeks will offer adequate stimulation AND give me the satisfaction of making quick progress.

So, when combining the issues of proper form with adequate stimulation and mental satisfaction, the first scenario is the clear winner in my mind.
    That's similar to something I've been doing for my DL's lately, too--

I switched over to sumo style, which has generally been my weaker mode, and am in the final stages of a mass-building-slash-PL peaking program.

I started out 3 weeks ago with 315x8 for 2 sets, then moved to 335x5 for 2; last week I pulled 355x5, but that totally knocked the dog snot out of me, so I didn't get the second set. However, that's fine, becuase my previous 1RM in the sumo DL was 365--- so I've improved regardless. Sometime today or tomorrow, I'm gonna go for 375x2 for 2 sets; 5 days later, I'm gonna try for 375x3 for 2; and 5 days after that, we're gunning for the 4th plate.

As you can see, I've shifted into PL mode on the last few workouts, so I doubt I'll get much more in terms of mass from 375 on; but I have to say, the 315/335/355 workouts were hell, and I think I jumped up another pants size.... :-)

All the best,

PowerMan DL

I assume you wanted my opinion on this. I think that Anthony's idea of using a lighter weight in order to perfect his form is a good idea. I would recommend that after you feel comfortable with the movement you jump to a weight that will allow you to perform a proper form set to failure at whatever reps seem to work best for you as individuals. Muscular stimulation will be maximized with the greater loads, using a weight that you can handle very easily will do little to stimulate growth. By the way, I feel that I owe you a thanks for the compliment, I just hope there wasn't too much sarcasm involved.

Thanks everybody
    Chris-Sarcasm?? NO! of course not
    But i do think that you are smart, anyway, i apreciate your comment, Thanks
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

I agree with Chris on this one. Once you get the form, start the real work.