Thread: hurt bicep while water sking

Wannabebig Member

hurt bicep while water sking

Well, i guess i did it. i was trying to deep water start using an ho venture comp freeride slalom ski i bought. almost got up after a few tries. tried again and felt a little pop in my left bicep area where it ties into the forearm. then i felt more strain in the bicep tendon, or in that area and felt like i ought to let go. afterward, it hurts in that area.

no bruising that i can see. no swelling. the bicep seems like its where it should be. i can straighten it out almost straight if i am resting it on a table. i need to keep it in a sling so it does not hurt. the pain seems to be along the top and outside of the brachili muscles in the forearm as i look at it in my lap, bent at a 90 with hand in a neutral position. i can flex the bicep gently with little pain but if the forearm twists any, i feel it between the elbow and the wrist. it shoots pain.
    i was just probing with my good hand fingers around the lower bicep area. there is pain and tenderness along the top and outside of the lower bicep where it is in the elbow pit.

any idea what i have done? what should i do about it?

Go to a doctor and/or physio. You don't want to mess around with possible tears like that - sometimes remedial action is required to stop torn ligaments and muscles growing back together improperly. You could have a weakened arm for life.

Wannabebig Member
    was wondering if id get a reply. went to the sports doc. mri result is 50% tear of bicep tendon about 3/8 inch away from forearm bone. bone is good. just tendon is tore. got an appointment wed to go over repair options and rehab issues. any thoughts or advice?

how can i continue weight training with this injury?

I would avoid any arm work. You should be able to do legs, but just take it easy.
    In any case, do what your doc says, not strangers on the internet

Good luck.

If your doc doesn't think you need surgery, then manage it in a physical therapy facility, a legitimate one. Not one where they have ~5 medical disciplines in one building. You should be performing exercises to stimulate new tissue laydown, and prevent scar tissue from limiting your range of motion for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 08-25-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    just had surgery. got to go back for checkup next wed ant also to start pt. more later.

I'm a slalom skier too and have also hurt my biceps while skiing. I don't think I have actually ever torn a tendon or ligament because resting it for a week or two always fixed it.
    Let us know how it recovers.

And you should always keep your arms straight when you're deepwater starting But you know that.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    And you should always keep your arms straight when you're deepwater starting But you know that.
    yea, right. i do now. i was being pulled with a low power boat so i was plowing bad. my legs were buckling and i got too determined. i pulled back and used my biceps to help and tried to force my legs back out. thats when it popped.

Ouch.
    I used to ski behind a low-power boat, too. This was also when I had really skinny legs, so my wetsuit legs would billow out and catch more water, dragging me back even more. It wasn't fun getting up out of the water