Thread: Personal Trainer Moving - Need advice

Wannabebig New Member

Personal Trainer Moving - Need advice

Hi, I have been working with a personal trainer for about 6 weeks now, and I
    am happy with the results so far, bad news is that my trainer is moving. At this point I would rather go it alone than work with another trainer, but I would like some feedback on the routine that he has had me on, I figure this is the time to make changes if needed.

I work out Mon - Fri, sometimes Saturday, Day 1: Chest & Biceps, Day 2: Back & Traps, Day 3: Shoulders & triceps Plus some forearm, Day 4: Legs, and then I start the cycle over. I start every workout with 15-25 minutes of fast walking, picking it up to a jog a couple of minutes at a time. Go through my workout, then end every workout with abs, 2 different exercises, 4 sets of each, as many reps as I can do in each set (I have noticed my gut sticking out more even though I can tell there is much less fat there now).

I have been taking Ripped Fuel for about 3 weeks now (I haven't noticed any energy increases at all, and not sure if any fat I have lost is due to the pills, or due to my workout). I also started Whey protein about a week ago, one in the morning, one right after the workout.

The routine seemed unconventional to me, but it worked, so I haven't questioned it, so I am looking for advice on what I may be doing wrong, or any improvements I can make. I appreciate any help, and thank everyone in advance. Sorry about the essay, and I have searched the forums and tried to get answers elsewhere, however most things did not seem to apply to me, and as I am still pretty new to all this, alot went right over the top of my head.

A little background, I'm 6 ft 4, I was at 275 lbs, then dropped 20 lbs on the atkins diet over 3 1/2 weeks, then waited a couple of weeks before I started weightlifting (only gained about 2 lbs back in the 2 weeks). Once I started lifting alot more weight dropped off, I am unsure how much I lost because at this point I am more concerned about fat loss and muscle gain rather than what the scale says. I am now at 256 lbs, 6 ft 4, 17 inches around my biceps, with most of my fat around my gut and love handles.

You don't need the ripped fuel. It's a waste of money.

The whey is just a proteins supplement. You could get the protein from a piece of chicken, fish, eggs, etc. It's just a quick, inexpensive way to get some easy protein.

Doing abs every day is a bad idea. Would you do biceps every day? How about legs? Tri's? Abs are NO different than any other muscle. Work them on the same rotation.

It's probably a good thing that your trainer is moving away, although the basic structure of the rest of the routine looks ok. I'd be curious to see what movments you're doing on those days for those muscles.

You can do this on your own just fine. Personal trainer certifications can be had for minimal knowledge + 50 bucks, so don't lose any sleep over losing the trainer.

You can keep the same 4 day split routine, but only put abs in there on one day, using weighted sets. Like situps on the declined bench while holding a weight, 3 sets, for 15 reps each MAX. Don't do them until you can't do them anymore--that's overkill. If it's so easy you can do 50, then up the weight. work the abs like you work the arms..heavy, weighted sets.

You want to have as many compound movements in your workouts as possible.

Like on back/traps day, go for some barbell or dumbbell rows, heavy barbell shrugs, lat pulldowns or pullups (assisted pullups are fine, too), etc. You want as little isolation as possible, in order to build a strong BODY and make the most of your workouts.

Chest/bi's day should have bench, dips, heavy curls, etc.

Legs day should have squats. No substitute, and I mean squats in the power rack. Don't get in that damned Smith machine, unless you want to say goodbye to your knees and develop weaknesses from letting it do all the stabilizing for you. And get off that leg press, unless you're doing it AFTER you squat. You also want some tough hamstring movements in there, like stiff legged deadlifts, and good mornings. If you have a glute ham bench, that's great as well.

Honestly, that split isn't the greatest because you're working the back separate from the bi's and the chest separate from the tri's. Both of those muscles support each other when you lift. It's best to blast them on the same day. Such as...

Back/Bi's

Chest/Tri's

Legs/Shoulders

I did that split for a long time, and will go back to it when I have 3 free days again. I did my abs on legs day, to go with my core work (good mornings hit the lower back pretty well).

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

oh and one more thing..

all the ab work in the world wont reduce your stomach fat. you can't spot-reduce fat. i have a feeling the trainer had you doing all those situps and crunches to melt away fat at the midsection, but that's just not possible. fat will go away as you're genetically predisposed. if you carry most of it in your stomach, that's the last place it goes--but rest assured, it goes how it sees fit. it's so we don't look like complete idiots. if spot-reduction was possible, can you imagine all the soccer moms with BIG asses, flat stomachs, and toned arms there'd be? LOL

just keep cutting the calories, and you'll see the results in time.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083