The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Is this a good work out routine

I do
    Day 1-Chest/Triceps
    Day 2-Back/Biceps/Forearms
    Day 3-Legs/Shoulders
    I am 17 and weigh 150 lbs and have gained around 30 lbs in 9 months. I drink protein shakes and I am thinking about creatine. Could anyone tell me what creatine would benefit me the most. I know there is before and after stuff and am wondering what to do. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Creatine- simple creatine monohydrate is best. Cheap too- no gimmics.

I'm not crazy about your split. Care to post the excercizes you do? Do you go 3 days in a row? Where are your rest days?

Suggested reading: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255 for an excellent 4 day split.

In case you can't do 4 days a week, we just had a thread about compressing that 4 day split into 3: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=83845

If you have questions, ask.

Also, how is your diet?
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wannabebig Member
    I Rest on Day 4
    And do 3 sets of each workout
    Day 1
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Flies
    Dumbell Decline
    Skullcrushers
    Tricep pulldown
    Dips

Day 2
    Seated DB curls
    Standing BB curls
    Hammer curls
    and some other Bicep thing I dont know the name for
    Rows
    Lat pulldown
    and one more back thing that is kind of like a pulldown but i don't know what it is called

Day 3
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Deadlift
    Calf Raises
    Shoulder press
    Shoulder shrugs
    and two other shoulder workouts I dont know the name of.

On day 2 I would add pull-ups to your back workout, and work out your back before your biceps.

Otherwise your workout looks OK, but you're showing enough workouts for a whole week. I would definitely not do that routine 3 days in a row. Maybe a Mon-Wed-Fri split? or any split that gives you a rest in between each workout.
    5'6", 145 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    I feel that I have enough rest becuase i have three rest days between each muscle workout. I sometimes do pullups as well on back/bi days.....thanks for the input and anymore would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisshockley
    I Rest on Day 4
    Do you go back to Day 1 on Day 5 and run thr routine again? I think that you aren't resting enough. I would workout either 3 or 4 days per week with a day of rest between each workout day.

And do 3 sets of each workout
    Day 1
    Flat Bench
    Incline Bench
    Flies
    Dumbell Decline
    Skullcrushers
    Tricep pulldown
    Dips
    I would get rid of the DB Declines and either the Skulls or the Pushdowns- you work your tris plenty during every chest movement. I would not do any more than 1 or 2 movements for tris after you've done chest. Keep in mind also that you are hitting your anterior delts (front shoulders) hard during chest day.

Day 2
    Seated DB curls
    Standing BB curls
    Hammer curls
    and some other Bicep thing I dont know the name for
    Rows
    Lat pulldown
    and one more back thing that is kind of like a pulldown but i don't know what it is called
    I hope you do your back work first and bicep work last. Also, you are doing WAAAAAAAAY too much curling. I would recommend pullups/chins instead of the lat pulldown, and rows are good. Are you doing them with DBs or seated? You only need 1 or 2 bicep movements because you will have sufficiently tired your biceps by working back. Keep in mind that you also hit your shoulders when working back.

Day 3
    Squats
    Leg Press
    Deadlift
    Calf Raises
    Shoulder press
    Shoulder shrugs
    and two other shoulder workouts I dont know the name of.
    Can you describe the movements you do for those shoulder excercizes that you don't know the name of? Keep in mind that you worked your shoulders on Day 1, and Day 2, so putting lots of volume on your shoulders on Day 3 may be overkill. In fact, I think that it is overkill.

Have you read the links I posted? I really think that you would do well with either a straight up BGB routine or a modified BGB routine.

Your breakdown would be as follows:

Day 1- Back/Chest/Calves/Abs
    Day 2- Rest
    Day 3- Legs/Arms
    Day 4- Rest
    Day 5- Back/Shoulders/Calves/Abs
    Days 6 & 7- Rest

The bigger muscle groups get 2-3 movements, while arms get 1-2 movements per session.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I feel that I have enough rest becuase i have three rest days between each muscle workout. I sometimes do pullups as well on back/bi days.....thanks for the input and anymore would be appreciated.
    If you work your shoulders 3 days in a row they don't get enough rest, and shoulders will be the first part to break down because you use them every time you do chest/back/shoulder work.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    If you work your shoulders 3 days in a row they don't get enough rest, and shoulders will be the first part to break down because you use them every time you do chest/back/shoulder work.
    I use to do shoulders on chest/tricep day but recently changed it to leg day...Now I am thinking about doing shoulders on the 4th day and resting on day 5. Also waht do you think about Cell-tech post workout creatine....?

I use to do shoulders on chest/tricep day but recently changed it to leg day...Now I am thinking about doing shoulders on the 4th day and resting on day 5. Also waht do you think about Cell-tech post workout creatine....?
    It would certainly be better if you did shoulders on Day 4, but seriously, if you're going to extend your split to 4 days/week just do BGB- it has an excellent separation of work. It will be 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off, and you will hit every body part with extra attention on your back and legs and you will grow overall like mad.

I'm not a creatine expert- I'm sure someone can answer the brand question more accurately than I can.

Have you read the BGB routine and the theory behind it?

Cell-Tech is a waste of money, just use regular creatine. Click on the At Large Nutrition banner up top and look for their creatine, 14.50 for 100 servings is a great price.