The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Shin Splints

Shin Splints

i have a problem with shin splints when I run. I know if you stretch your shins out you'll decrease the amount of pain caused by them, but how do you stretch them and is there any other way to prevent/get rid of the pain?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i went through the same problem when i was running

finally i asked a couple marathon runners what they do to stop the pain, and about all they could tell me was to deeply massage your muscles when ever you get a chance, and to get REALLY REALLY good insoles for your shoes

Wannabebig Member
    You really can't prevent them...... icing them helps short term, and helps reduce the pain when you run. If you run a lot, you should cut back, and make sure you have shoes that best support you.. Also running on your toes puts less strain on your shins and inables you to run further and faster with less effort.

Yeah thats the problem I don't run a whole lot because of my shin splints, I have always had a problem with them. Well I guess I could run around my yard the grass could cushion the impact a bit more than concrete/asphault. Thanks for the info. bros!

Wannabebig Member
    Ya, I know what you mean. When I first started running I got some pretty killer splints. Not only when I an, but when I walked. I just iced them, and stopped running for quite awhile. I run all the time now and don't have a problem.
    Yes, running where you have more "cushioning" so to speak helps. Have you tried an Elipse machine? or treadmill? Some of those treadmills have that padding sorta thing goin on? That helps alot. =)... good luck!!

Thats where I usually run is on a treadmill at home. It doesn't really have any cushioning effect on it. I guess I'll run on the grass outside my house until the pain subsides.

Wannabebig Member
    I think you should try an elipse machine at a gym..... it'd be less strenous, than running on the grass... I mean the ground is still hard..

Better yet... lets run on water......

the gym I go to doesn't have an elipse machine. The cardio equipment at my gym is crap and half the stuff doesn't work. I don't really have access to an elipse machine. exercise bikes just don't get my heart rate up there, my quads tire out before my heart rate gets up. Running works really well, minus the shin splints. That would be nice to walk on water, excellent low impact cardio!
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 02-02-2002 at 06:27 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Ya they are a bitch... after awhile you'll probably just become adapt you know? I mean you really can't get rid of them from what I hear.. But the stronger your legs become.. the less you're going to notice those types of aches and pains u know?
    u know
    u know

Well I hope the pain diminishes soon.

And back to that water thing.... that would be the ****!
    Man I should try that someday. a ha

Well, I'll add what I've heard, although I haven't done much checking up on it. You can strengthen your shins to get rid of the pain from shin splints. There is a muscle that runs up the front of your shin which is flexed when your foot is raised. So to that end going for a bit each day walking on your heels (yeah I know it sounds dumb) can help strengthen this area. Other things I can think of would be maybe placing weight on the end of your foot, so around your toes and lifting it by flexion of your shin, which would be using the ROM of your ankle.

Like I said I haven't really checked into this too much but thought I'd throw it out for you in case it is applicable. I know I've had shin splints before but after a while they tend to go away. I know you're a big guy so the stress caused by your weight performing a motion your body isn't used to could be causing the splints. Maybe after some conditioning the pain will go away.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    By the way tree.... thanks for responding to my thread... You're the only one...

Thanks el pie sounds like it might works, i'll give it a shot.

Lucky, no prob its was only fair of me since you answered mine.
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 02-02-2002 at 06:36 PM.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!! Not much more luck running outside. I ran for 10 minutes before my legs just couldn't move any more. That 10 minutes felt good though. I may need to invest in another pair of running shoes, any suggestions on shoes or anything?

Wannabebig Member
    what kind of shoes are you using right now tree?

New Balance 802

Wannabebig Member
    Ever tried Reebok?

When I was younger I used them and every pair was really narrow around the arches of my feet. I might try on a pair of sacony's I have heard they are excellent shoes.