Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: donating blood

donating blood

is it good for u ?

hows it affect bodybuilding if done a few times a year

can you lift the same day?

thanks

nothing wrong with donating blood,probably best to lift the following day,
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    What getfit said. It's actually good for you to donate, I hear. Fresh blood is a good thing.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

:withstupi

I've got weird blood so thay like it when I give. I'm AB Positive. Don't know why it's good but they seem to like it.
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    If you're willing to part with your rare blood then I'm sure that they are happy.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

last time I tried to give blood they used a big fat needle that pumped out my blood too quickly and I passed out

they got half a pint in about 45 seconds, guess that isn't a good thing.
    Last edited by MrWebb78; 02-06-2006 at 03:23 PM.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

There is a theory that women live longer than men because they bleed once a month and consistently replenish their body with new blood.

So if it holds true, then indeed donating blood is a very good thing.

I've never been able to give blood since you can't donate blood if you've gotten a tattoo within the past year.
    JESUS KICKS ASS!

Life's too short to live in caution. Life's too long not to live at all.--Van Zandt

It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not.--Van Zandt

MYJOURNAL

MY FITDAY

Apparently I can't donate blood because I was born in the 80's in Britain. I'm not even sure what the exact reason is (although it might have been a mad cow type of thing...?), but they wouldn't let my sister either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    Apparently I can't donate blood because I was born in the 80's in Britain. I'm not even sure what the exact reason is (although it might have been a mad cow type of thing...?), but they wouldn't let my sister either.
    LMAO! That's the greatest thing I've EVER heard! Sue the bastards or something!

Some gay guy in Montreal I think is trying to charge the red cross (?) with discrimination because he can't donate because he's had sex with another man. Clearly this guy just doesn't know that HIV and AIDS are a gay disease... Der....
    Last edited by deeder; 02-08-2006 at 10:12 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Clearly this guy just doesn't know that HIV and AIDS are a gay disease... Der....
    Yeah man, like white hetrosexual men never get HIV!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahh

I thought they tested for HIV in the blood anyway. Holy **** I hope they do.

Estropes: that's an interesting hypothesis. I'll have to look that up some time.

BTW from what I understand if you have been donating blood for a while there are some sort of plans where if someone in your immediate family (including you) gets injured and needs some donated blood, they get priority. I personally think it's a great idea because that's the only way they'd be able to get me out to donate blood (outside of that idea that guys who give blood may live longer).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I gave blood once and passed out in the chair. Its the highest I've ever been. Not only did I not feel guilty, I was a hero.

I give blood at least once a year - have for years. No biggie - just don't train until the next day.

Don't take aspirin for three days before. You can call them and they'll tell you the same thing for just about any drug, including weed.

Banned
    I have found that lifts suffer for a day or two after giving blood. More affected is cardio, especially intense cardio. One time I went cross country skiing the day after and got totally outskied by my wife, who I normally can outpace easily.

I donate about as regularly as I can (company blood drives); I noticed this last time that my lifts the next morning were affected, so it's either got to be a 'lift first, then donate' thing, or I have to wait 2 days to get a really good workout in.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

><))))))*>
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    LMAO! That's the greatest thing I've EVER heard! Sue the bastards or something!

Some gay guy in Montreal I think is trying to charge the red cross (?) with discrimination because he can't donate because he's had sex with another man. Clearly this guy just doesn't know that HIV and AIDS are a gay disease... Der....
    you know all those millions of people in Africa with AIDS are gay too.......what a coincidence eh?

The HIV virus is thought to have come from SIV(Simian Immunodeficiancy Virus), so it must have been those gay monkeys.
    "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel." - Homer Simpson

I had to give blood 6 times last week...**** sucked...lol...

*i was in the hospital*

We're going through this in class at the moment... It's good for you to donate blood, and about females bleeding once a month is true that it's healthy.. And AB+ i thought was better if you had it and you NEEDED a blood transfusion.. Not donating. Because if you needed blood you could have all types of blood for AB+. And they want O- i think because it is the rarest and can go into all types of patients needing blood? Dunno.. But it's healthy :P

I don't donate blood... tatts, piercings, and the fact that I do pass out pretty easily make me a lousy candidate.

I am on the bone marrow donation registry, though.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Oh, so it IS healthy to slit your wrists every once in a while. No wonder it's the 'in' thing these days (hope I didn't offend anyone who has actually engaged in this activity for other more serious purposes).
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    I don't donate blood... tatts, piercings, and the fact that I do pass out pretty easily make me a lousy candidate.

I am on the bone marrow donation registry, though.
    And that's going to be easier on you than donating blood?

But I commend you for being on the Marrow Donation Registry.
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

No, no it won't. Not at all. In fact, it would probably be a horrendous experience. But I'd do it if they needed me to.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by Belial
    No, no it won't. Not at all. In fact, it would probably be a horrendous experience. But I'd do it if they needed me to.
    Gotcha. And I commend you for stepping up to the plate. I was just confused as to the fact you wouldn't give blood but were on the marrow donors list.

I understand you and the Tats and piercings. I went thru that for several years back in my early 20's. Finally ran out of money so I'm back giving blood.

BTW How's that Mustang holding up. Mine is a POS. So far.
    Here we go again!

Very well for a lil' six banger. Supercharger installed, on 7 PSI of boost it's at 302.5 RWHP, 0-60 in the 5.2 second region (g-tech), no other problems at all. I'm content, to say the least. It's treating me fine, and I hope it continues to do so since I basically killed my warranty.

What's happening with yours?