The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

How do I stop the madness?

I am 34, 5"10" and way overweight. I go to the gym about twice a week. I know in my condition, I should go about 5 times per week, but don't, for some reason. But my eating is out of control, all high carb foods and all the wrong ones. I start a low carb diet everyday and usually break it by noon. Again suggestions are welcome?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Learning as I progress
    First you need to get dedicated and get some will power going. After you are really set upon doing something you can educate yourself. This site is an excellent way of doing that, no matter what your past experiences.

Read stickies, find a good routine(several listed on this site) and maybe even start a journal for support. Gl
    Complication breeds desperation.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    By my experience and the experience of others, low-carb diets are the most successful when carbs are limited as much as possible, otherwise you keep craving them. Make sure that proteins are high enough to avoid that kind of craving, and that fats are high enough too so you don't go too low in calories.

Banned
    Track everything you eat at www.fitday.com

Then, eat less. When you're trying to lose weight the calorie is king. Eat fewer calories then normal and you'll lose weight. Simply drop a couple hundred calories at first and work your way down to being about 500 cals lower than usual.

If you're not losing weight, you're still eating too much - it's that simple.

While doing all that, try to eat 1.0 g/lb of lean body mass of protein and 0.5 g/lb of fat.

Good luck!

Sounds like you need a good heaping of motivation and dedication before anything else.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannabelean
    I am 34, 5"10" and way overweight. I go to the gym about twice a week. I know in my condition, I should go about 5 times per week, but don't, for some reason. But my eating is out of control, all high carb foods and all the wrong ones. I start a low carb diet everyday and usually break it by noon. Again suggestions are welcome?
    That is the reason right there.

Next point. You might be going to the gym more often if you weren't low carbing. I can't train without carbs, period.

Parting thoughts. Low carb diets don't result in faster fat loss than other diets, they are hard to follow, and impact your training.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Just some ideas for you...

Plan your meals for each day (or many days) in advance. Make it reasonable (not extreme) and stick to it. If you can, make some of your food in advance (salad, chicken, sandwiches, etc.).

If you must eat out, know where you are going (plan ahead) and what foods they serve that are within your diet-outline. It's tough to choose a sensible restaurant/meal when you are starved.

ONLY go to the super market on a FULL stomache!! Everything sweet looks good when you are starved and buying food. It's much easier to stick to your diet when you can choose your food purchases, not ruled by your hunger.

Plan time to cheat, and know that you deserve to reward yourself.

It's tough work, but you have made the first steps. Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    First you have to want it, and really want it! Like the other guys said dedication is key! Along with dedication comes sacrafices.

The diet industry is a multi billion dollar operation. Hell I could grind up dog treats, put them in a capsule and tell people what a miracle it is and how much weight they will lose in just a week! People will buy it. That's what everyoen is after, a dam miracle! It's a little more involved then that!

I remember my wife spending almost $1000 dollars between hypnosis and LA Weight Loss.............Neither worked!

I was in a similar situation about 2 months ago. My eating habits were out of control! My job really does not provide a lot of physical activity, only STRESS!

I went from 170 to 273 in a few short years. I drank lots of iced tea, soda, snack food, pizza, etc. All the bad stuff! It was nothing for me to eat an entire box of cereal in one sitting.

One day I said enough is enough dammit, and it's time for a change! I started drinking a lot of water, and changed my eating habits drastically. Now it's only chicken, turkey, fish, veggies, etc.

I am now down to approx. 250 and feel great! My goal is around 20-30 more pounds by the new year.

You can do it, just believe in yourself, and stay dedicated.

If you have a pic from when you were thinner, hang it on your fridge or in your wallet. Look at it, and dream it!

If you wanna make it, you can't fake it, you gotta live it!

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    That is the reason right there.
    Wise to point this out.

Until you really commit yourself you're gonna have problems staying motivated.

1. determine the reasons you want to change your body

2. set some realistic goals...both short term (I will lift weights 12 sessions this month) and long term (in one year I want to shed % bodyfat or bench 250lbs, etc)

3. educate yourself so you're armed with the tools needed to achieve your goals.

I myself am not a fan of low-carb diets. i think the problem is poorly timed carbs.
    spend some time at www.johnberardi.com and try to follow his guidelines for leaning out.

Wannabebig New Member
    I appreciate all the input. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iwannabelean
    You don't need a low carb diet to acheive your goals.