Thread: torn distal bicep tendon. how do you train?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

torn distal bicep tendon. how do you train?

i posted some of this in another area, but thought it might be better here.

I hurt my bicep waterskiing last thursday.
    went to the sports doc on friday. mri result is 50% tear of bicep tendon about 3/8 inch away from forearm bone. bone is good. just tendon is tore. got an appointment wed to go over repair options (natural or surgery) and rehab issues.

i am very concerned with this layoff. i sure dont want to gain any of the weight/fat that i lost in the past couple of years back. those of you that have been through this, what kind of things can i do to keep some of the gains i have made? i would like to discuss these ideas with the doc.

i train at home with freeweights. i am going to talk with the sports doc on wed and find out what they have that i can use to train with in addition to the rehab for my bicep. i would like at that time to discuss with them possible ways to continue to train my muscles. if i could have suggestions from you all, i could bring them up to the doc and see what they have to say.

ideas? advice? natural or surgery?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by earthbuddy1
    i posted some of this in another area, but thought it might be better here.

I hurt my bicep waterskiing last thursday.
    went to the sports doc on friday. mri result is 50% tear of bicep tendon about 3/8 inch away from forearm bone. bone is good. just tendon is tore. got an appointment wed to go over repair options (natural or surgery) and rehab issues.

i am very concerned with this layoff. i sure dont want to gain any of the weight/fat that i lost in the past couple of years back. those of you that have been through this, what kind of things can i do to keep some of the gains i have made? i would like to discuss these ideas with the doc.

i train at home with freeweights. i am going to talk with the sports doc on wed and find out what they have that i can use to train with in addition to the rehab for my bicep. i would like at that time to discuss with them possible ways to continue to train my muscles. if i could have suggestions from you all, i could bring them up to the doc and see what they have to say.

ideas? advice? natural or surgery?
    Go with what your doctor advises on the natural or surgery issue.

As a side note you should still be able to train legs at a mimimum...but check with your doctor. Taking a few days or even a few weeks off will not hinder your progress greatly assuming you stay on your diet and get plenty of rest. Remember muscle comes back much faster the second time around.

I'm in the same boat, tore a section of my quad a few weeks ago and I can't do anything for it other than wait.

I'm sure you could work your legs on machines, but I think any kind of heavy free weight will just aggravate your bicep. Ask the doc if you can do any light pushing movements, like bench and military press. I'm sure any pulling or heavy lifts are a definite no.

Wannabebig Member
    my concern is that recovery will be more like 4 to 6 months, not 2 to 4 weeks. im sure i can find a way to do legs, just wish i could also do neck, shoulders, chest, back.....

i will ask about pushing moves with light resistance. anything is better than nothing.

Read this entire journal from this point forward:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...29874&page=147

He trained without using one of his lower arms for quite a while. You may have to adapt some training (stay away from the fly machine, for example), but you will learn more about training with one arm in that journal than any other place I have ever seen.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    thanks. i will read tonight and talk with the doc tomorrow.