The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

This is how i done my benches is it right...?

I max at 140 sad i know but i just started a few weeks ago but anyway..

I warmed up with 80 x 20 then did 100 x 15 then 120 x 8 then 140 x 1

Is that a good way to do benches... And how important is breathing? Cause i noticed at teh end of my workout yesterday when i was doing Barbell Rows i started taking in air when i pushed up and it seemed like it helped...
    Last edited by bL33d; 08-22-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    Height = 6ft
    current weight = 205
    starting weight = 300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It all depends on your goals on how you should bench. I will guess you are trying to gain some size and strength. I would warm up with 95 lbs for 12 reps or so to get the blood going. Then put on 115 for reps of 10 or so and maybe add 5-10 lbs each set trying to keep your reps between 8-10. Also if you can bench 120 for 8 I would guess you can actually max around 150 or maybe a little more. If you want to max I would warm up with 95lbs then do a set of 120 for 5-6 reps and then throw on 155 and max that. Hope this helps and good luck.

No need to do 20 reps.

Here's my usual warmup. (%'s are compared to work sets weight)

1: 50% x 10
    2: 50% x 10 (a little faster)
    3: 67% (2/3) x 6
    4: 80% x 3
    5: 90% x 1

That's assuming relatively heavy weight for sets of no more than 6. If I'm doing 8 or more reps (thus the working weight will be lighter) I do:

1: 50% x 10
    2: 50% x 10 (a little faster)
    3: 80% x 5
    4: 90% x 2
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Was the set schem you posted for a max day? Or is that how you usually lift?

If you are maxing @ 140, then I'd do:

w/u:

65 x 10
    65 x 10
    85x 5
    105 x 2, then

3 sets of 115 x 8

You are probably tiring yourself out with 35 reps within two sets defore you're even putting serious weight on the bar...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig Member
    Breathing correctly is VERY important when lifting. You are breathing in when you are pushing up for barbell rows? You mean breathing in when you are pulling up right? You are suppose to breath out when you are “lifting” the weight and breath out when you are “lowering.” For example, you breath out when you push up on the bench press and breath in when you lower.

i think you should usually be breathing OUT on the push. ie. when benching breath out on the way up. for rows, breath out while pulling up the weight
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    If you are maxing @ 140, then I'd do:
    w/u:
    65 x 10
    65 x 10
    85x 5
    105 x 2, then

3 sets of 115 x 8
    This would seem to be ok for hypertrophy/BB.. but I can think better for maximizing strength gains, you might try something like:
    Bar x 10
    65 x 5
    85 x 3
    105 x 3
    125 x 2 or 3 if you can get it
    125 x 2 or 3 if you can get it
    85 x 5

And concentrate on your form. If you can't push the higher 125 lbs for 2 strict reps, then lower the weight and do them right. Pull your lats together, feet flat on the floor and try to pull the bar apart. Search on WBB for more info on proper BP form.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    You are probably tiring yourself out with 35 reps within two sets defore you're even putting serious weight on the bar...
    I definitely agree with that..

And for Breathing.. take a big breath when the weight is at the top, hold it on the way down to the chest and just after you explode off the chest, start your exhale. There are advanced techniques to hold the breath all the way though the motion... but you may want to do this first.
    Good luck
    Last edited by Bob; 08-22-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Your 1 rep maximum if you can lift 120 x 8 is probably more like 160. That routine seems very bad to me. Try starting with a set of 10, go up weight and do 7, do another 7, and one final set with something like 3.

The goal is lift heavier. Never lift something more than 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by bL33d
    I max at 140 sad i know but i just started a few weeks ago but anyway..

I warmed up with 80 x 20 then did 100 x 15 then 120 x 8 then 140 x 1
    I bet you could do quite a bit more than 140 if you didn't kill yourself with all that warm up work.

You should only be doing a couple warm up sets, 10 reps or less then get down to business.

i have pretty much the same question. i just started benching and i am not sure when to increase. i can do about 3 sets of 10 reps at 115. i am tryin to gain size in my chest and i do other chest exercises but i like benching the best. if u guys can, help me out? thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Whenever I’m able to complete all my sets without a spot two times in a row I increase the weights.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeekd25
    i have pretty much the same question. i just started benching and i am not sure when to increase. i can do about 3 sets of 10 reps at 115. i am tryin to gain size in my chest and i do other chest exercises but i like benching the best. if u guys can, help me out? thanks
    well you always want to set goals for yourself so try and up the weight till you can only get about 6 reps and just keep using that weight until you hit 10 reps then repeat. if you want to gain size and strength use a 5x5 routine or just lift heavy with low reps
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I like to do my main chest exercises 3x8s one week, 4x6 the next, then 6x4, then 8x3 or some singles. I feel like I stagnate if I'm doing the same weight and just trying to add a rep somewhere every week.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    I like to do my main chest exercises 3x8s one week, 4x6 the next, then 6x4, then 8x3 or some singles. I feel like I stagnate if I'm doing the same weight and just trying to add a rep somewhere every week.
    so do you track your progress monthly instead of weekly?