Thread: Can I keep the mass?

Can I keep the mass?

You may have read my tread in the General Chat Area about me doing 20 kms straight for charity on the ergo (rowing machine)

The training schedule involves adding 2kms of distance every week, and doing it 5 times a week.

This will leave with absoloutely no energy to continue with bulking and weights, my body wouldent be able to handle all that, bulking, plus a growth spurt all at the same time.

If I keep eating well, but do none, or very mnimal light weights, can I keep the 14 kilos of muscle mass that Ive had to work so hard to get?

Im pretty bulky in my build, Id like to slim down and get a more lean, without losing muscle, just the fat, this training program will equaly to roughly 500kms in the next 8 weeks, thats quite alot.

So will I keep the muscle, rowing isnt like running, were its just cardio, I get very good whole body workout from it.

But the cardio element, Im hoping will shred my body and get some good rips and curves there. I look too blocky, Id like to get toned, ad look good for the rowing season wich starts in 10 weeks.

Whay y'all think?
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

What's your rowing experience? 500m time? 1000m time? 5k time? 10k time?

I see no reason to spend so much time and effort preparing for this unless you're going for a record.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

im preparing so much for this because it will finish the last of my fat reserves, i can do the 20ks, im pretty sure of that, but having to row heaps, and doing a lot of cardio will tone me up for rowing season.

plus, im not aloud to run, thanks to my first rugby match a back, extended running will mess me up.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

so let me get this straight... you're only rowing to loose body fat? Well if that is the case you're not going to want to do cardio, its a piss poor way to loose body fat. I belkeve many will agree with me here - it takes a long time to loose any amount of fat and you'll most likely end up losing muscle along with whatever fat you loose.

Research HIIT - High intesity interval training. You can still do rowing for your training if you wish, just a little differently..
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Wannabebig Member
    actually you can just do a manitence weight lifting program and maybe an in season plan and be sure to eat well maybe take a protein shape in addition to what you normally take in.
    id say 2-3 sets of about 8-10 reps you should be able to keep the weight on maybe you will lose some bulk or it will seem that way but at least your strength and weight will be the same and when I mean lift it should be only one exercise per body part once per week thats it probably on the back you need to do lats and rows or on the legs doing squats and calf raises but don't try to do a body building routine or anything like that. Also you will get pretty cut by doing all that. You'll be pretty ripped if you keep up the lifting
    Last edited by droman; 08-20-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Don't do high reps - you're goal is not to gain muscle but to keep it. Doing anything that encourages hypertrophy is only going to hurt your rowing. Go heavy and with low reps - look up the 5 x 5 program or do triples. Pick only a few exercises and keep the volume low. By lifting heavy your convincing your body that you need to keep all that muscle you've gained. Do stuff like squats, bench, barbell rows and maybe deadlifts. Also learn to track your calories on www.fitday.com, and decrease calories if you're not loosing weight after awhile.

Wannabebig Member
    so your bascically trying to make him stronger while he's doing all of this he's going to be exhasted he should be trying to maintain his strength not trying to get stronger which most likely a 5*5 plan would do unless the percentages were low.

I was already doing what hazerboy has said.

ITS WORKING!!! Ive taken down the reps, upped the weight.

Also, Im getting very cut, Im losing alot of weight pretty damn good, and my lats and arms are huge, my stomachs getting down, I have become a bit leaner but my strength has not changed at all nor has my total muscle mass.

My arms are looking awesome rather then just big blocks.

THe only hard part is gonna be gettin rid of the excess skin on my gut...

But one problem at a time

and no im not exhausted, well yeah, im a bit tired, but im always feeling good, so yeah

why u no squat?

off topic i know..

Nad how big are your arms. And how bigs your chest and legs?
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 08-25-2006 at 04:49 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

WHy I dont squat, thanks to the great game of rugby and one heck of a hit!! last time i squatted i got paralysed, pinched nerve, so u can understand it being a little scary. also thanks to rugby, i cant run for extended periods of time without chronic leg pain

thankfully there is a squat machine in my schools massive gym, and nothing happens wen i use it, so ive added abit of weight every week, and been very careful, and so far my back has dealt with it fine.

but i cannot bring myself to freeweight squat out of sheer terror,

being paralysed is the scariest thing i have ever felt (or lack of feeling), ur just there, u can see and here, but nothing will move. NOTHING.

My arms are 15 inches, chest is 42 and my legs are 25.

aww man thats a bitch. Well keep doin what ur doing. work your way back to barbell squats . Best not to hurt yourself man

You got good size arms chest and legs. Quite similiar to my measuremnts actually. your dwarf me tho. Im only 5ft 6. your 6ft 2.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14