The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Multiple bench shirts?

Alright, I'm having a brain fart so this may seem a stupid question, so shoot me, we all have them from time to time.

Would it be possible to wear multiple bench shirts for an APF competition? I have a single ply Inzer blast (closed back) that I don't get much out of and then I'm borrowing a friends Metal double ply open back. I'm not exactly sure what to make out of the rules.

Maybe somebody can help me here.

Quote Originally Posted by WPC rule book
    Costume and Personal Equipment

1. Lifting Suit
    A lifting suit of the basic design illustrated shall be worn. It must be an individual full
    length article of cloth fabric. Its construction may consist of multiple plies to any
    thickness but must, as a whole, be a singular component. The straps must be worn
    over the shoulders at all times while lifting in
    competition. It may be of any color or colors. The
    length of the leg, when worn, must not extend beyond
    mid-thigh (medial point between crotch and top of knee
    cap). Women may wear a one-piece suit of comparable
    design to the lifting suit. Leotards with sleeves or high
    cut leg lines are not permitted.

2. Undershirt
    One undershirt (of a design consistent with what is
    commonly called a T-shirt) with or without sleeves, may
    be worn under the lifting suit. It must be an individual
    article of cloth fabric. Its construction may consist of
    multiple plies but must, as a whole, be a singular
    component. The thickness(es) shall not be designed to
    increase, enlarge, or enhance the bodyís natural
    musculature. Sleeves must be short and remain above
    the elbow when worn. It may be of any color or colors, but shall not portray
    indecency or be offensive to the spirit of the competition.
    http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress...%20Website.doc

It doesn't really mention bench shirts specifically so I don't know if the Inzer could act as the "t-shirt" and the Metal could be my "bench shirt" or if the bench shirt is the only thing that can be worn under the lifting suit.

Any ideas?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I could be wrong, but I think you can go to town with triple or quad-ply, but you can't have more than a single shirt on.
    This might be a stupid question too, but are APF rules and WPC rules the same thing? I've competed in APF and don't know.
    Its construction may consist of multiple plies to any
    thickness but must, as a whole, be a singular component.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

That's what I was thinking. I was just hoping that you could have a bench shirt over top the "t-shirt" but I guess the "t-shirt" is the bench shirt.

I believe that the WPC rules apply to the APF since the APF is the amateur version of the WPC. That's why I was quoting the WPC rules. I can't really find anything specific for the APF other than the link I found for the WPC. So to answer your question, I really don't know.
    What is elite?

The APF is pretty lenient as far as what shirts, etc, are allowed, but I'm sure that you can only wear one item under the singlet. So you can either lift RAW in just a t-shirt or you can use a bench shirt. You can't wear two bench shirts at the same time, and honestly I don't even think it would be safe!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Who's concerned about safety though?
    What is elite?

I've dropped too many barbells on my chest, abs, and almost my face doing heavy shirted bench to NOT be!
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'm pretty sure you can only wear one shirt. Nice try though

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Unlimitied plys, but only 1 piece.

Is the Metal shirt too loose? I know a few tips for setting the shirt that might help you get more if it's too loose.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Chris, yeah, its just a bit loose. Well, its a size 58 and I'm a 52, or there abouts. Any tips you could give me would be much appreciated!
    What is elite?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Wow, that is quite a difference. You must be swimming in that thing.

Not sure how much it will do, but do you already pull the shirt down at all in the front? Start by doing that, the armpit should be covered under APF rules, so don't pull too far. Then, take the slack from the back of the arm(near the top of the tricep) and basically pinch it down your arm(towards lower on the tricep) this should pinch the shirt tighter onto the back of your arm. I notice this makes it a ton harder to touch and usually will give you some more pop.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Well, its a size 58 and I'm a 52, or there abouts. Any tips you could give me would be much appreciated!
    Eat more food so you can fit into it.

Chris: LOL, yeah, I'm definitely moving around pretty freely in the thing. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go when I try next time. I've been pulling the shirt down in front but I'm having trouble getting it to stay down, even when using my belt. It seems that when I pinch my shoulders together I'm also doing a shrug and so I'm jacking the shirt back up to my throat when I do. That, I'm sure, is just a form issue that needs to be worked out.

TommyBoy: LOL, I would do just that but the meet is in 2 weeks. Not quite going to get that big that quick, plus it would mean not being able to fit into my squat suit. I just haven't had the money to spring for a shirt of my own so I'm using a buddies shirt that is just too big. Was kind of hoping for a few quick tips on just tightening up the shirt I have access until the time when I can get one of my own. Thanks for the thought though.
    What is elite?

Here's my tips on getting the bench shirt set right without affecting your squat suit comfort.

Day of the meet:

1- When the squat is about to start, start drinking gatorade (bottled stuff, not powdered). Time for the warm ups, then the squat suit goes on...here you begin to drink more and more gatorade, and once your first attempt in the squat is in, start chugging the stuff. Just so you have an idea, you should have a good 20 bottles of gatorade ready for your meet (any powerlifter knows this). By this point your squat suit will feel nice and snug and you'll get lot's of pop for attempts 2 and 3. Then the squat is over, and fun time begins.

2- Time to bench!!! Keep chugging the gatorade like it's going out of style, then once the warm ups start drink 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup (wash down with some gatorade if you find it too chunky for your liking). Just so you have an idea, cream of mushroom has 872mg of sodium per cup. So by the time you have to put your bench shirt on, you should be as bloated as the stay-puff marshmallow man. Then before attempt 2, drink one more can of cream of mushroom, then repeat for attempt number 3. I guarantee you'll bloat up enough to fit into that shirt....and this is water retention, so you'll still be skinny the next day!! YAY!!!

3- The deadlift....I should point out that as soon as you finish benching, for god's sake don't take anymore cream of mushroom soup....being too bloated for the deadlift is not only hard for you to get down to the bar, but it poses a huge risk for vomitting all over the crowd.

I hope this helps.

Wow. That sounds like the most vomit-inducing, unappealing thing EVER.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal