Thread: Help I'm struggling

Help I'm struggling

I play 5 aside football (soccer) most weeks for an hour indoor, I'm finding it more and more difficult to drag myself about the pitch and to perform to my usual standard of that before I started lifting.

There's no question I have more of a physical presence, enjoy tackling and can hold my own defensively but I feel like i'm letting myself down with my general play.

Since starting lifting i've probably gained at least 35 pounds, i'm still lean ish and to me still seem thin enough (my non bb mates keep making comments like i'm carrying beef) to be able to perform.

Suppose i'm wondering is it me, am I unfit or is it not possible to combine both bb and football. I'm thinking of jacking the football in.

Thoughts would be most appreciated.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Added weight makes it harder to stop and start - no question about it. A 35lb gain is a lot!

Impossible to do both well? No, but it's going to be tough.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Added weight makes it harder to stop and start - no question about it. A 35lb gain is a lot!

Impossible to do both well? No, but it's going to be tough.
    Thanks

That was my thoughts, I love my football, I'm so competetive but if I have to choose, lifting wins hands down.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

You could try doing some plyometrics to build explosiveness, either that or take up being a goalie.

I used to be a keeper many moons ago and it did cross my mind last night. Was well on a downer last night when I posted.

Just finding it more difficult to combine both as the months go by and as I get bigger and bigger.
    Last edited by DavyRen; 08-23-2006 at 05:40 AM.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

I'm finding EXACTLY the same thing with all the MMA fighting and training I used to do...

I've went from 6' 195 lbs to 6' 220 lbs over the last 1.5 years and most of its muscle.. Very slow gains, but alot stronger....

I'm starting to notice that my cardio/stamina just aint what it used to be... I know its got to be the extra 25lbs I'm carrying around... But I like it (wife loves it - she says I've finally got an Azz ...LOL)... and I'm stronger than ever....

Its a difficult balancing act to say the least... (and turning 40 in December isn't exactly helping matters - body is slowly gettin older... DA.MN...LOL)....

I guess you've just got to figure out what's the most important and try the other sport as best you can.... ARGGGGGGHHHH>.. To be 20 again... Man, I was huge and had the cardio of a machine.. (sulks into corner, curls into fetal postion, sucking thumb....LOL)....

Good luck...

Peace out...

Cheers mate I thought there must have been loads of people in a similar position than me. Never thought anything would be more important than football but Mr Vain has always been in me somewhere I can't stop now.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

You could use your new found size to play the 'other' football - rugby.

DJ

Gaining weight will affect your conditioning in a negative manner, but that's not to say you cannot improve it. There are TONS of guys your size who are machines. Just put in the effort to improve your conditioning and work capacity.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Stop gaining weight and focus on bringing your conditioning levels up. I learned the hard way. I went up to 220 pounds and man was my cardio horrible. I've decided to stay around 190-198 now.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Thanks Anthony and Maki, from you two it means a lot.
    I think i'll continue my cut to lose 10lbs or so then take it from there.

Been thinking for a while, might buy myself a mountain bike to up my cardio levels.
    The wife has a treadmill but I find that too boring.
    Last edited by DavyRen; 08-24-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

In my experience, the best cardio is the one you'll DO. And having a few different modalities to choose from never hurts.

5 a side isnt about legging it about the pitch! you can win a game without even jogging, passing and positioning is key, and thats how it should be played, i play once a week too, and rarely break a sweat, and thats not because i train for it, ..its all down to tactics.....

just work on your positioning, and you wont need to drag yourself anywhere!

good luck man
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyone View Post
    I agree with McVein